Umpiring Free kicks & free kick ladders

Remove this Banner Ad

Way too many free kicks. I think it has to do with Geelong manipulation. Hocking should not be allowed to go to Geelong and Scott’s brother hold the umpire head rule, it’s just a conflict of interest. More free kicks disrupts a chaos style and suits the possession kick to kick style. Just let them play the game and revert the rules to 2008 - 2012.

There was some shockers

The 2 holding the ball decisions in the 3rd quarter I think
Almost identical
One paid one not

The deliberate OOB in the Richmond defense
As if you would deliberately want to lock it in the oppositions 50!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm almost out of this sport, I have no idea what constitutes holding the ball anymore nor do the players from what I can tell.
The first goal to Sam Reid was a genuine WTF moment with the free kick against the Richmond player for nudging the Sydney player on the boundary line as soft as anything I can recall seeing.
I'd say that this game is one step away from incorporating the netball no contact rule....pleased our game will never be International as it would be an embarrassment to the country, feel sorry for the players, they dont want the game adjudicated like this.
Imagine the likes of Ted Whitten, Jack Dyer or Fos Williams viewing tonight's match, what would they think of it?

THIS way a free kick tonight.

Now that's when you can officially say the game is ducked
That was one of the worst free kicks of the year. Genuinely laughed out loud when they showed the replay.

The Vlaustin one in the last, right in the dying minutes, was a joke.

Takes possession..starts running and a swans player rakes the ball out of his hands in a tackle.

That’s dropping the ball.

Umpire pays holding the man without the ball.

Umpire gives the idiot swans player (who booted the ball into the crowd on the siren) the benefit of the doubt because he didn’t hear the whistle blow on Prestia’s free.

Absolute rubbish

Does anyone know the averages for this season and how they stack up to previous? I reckon the average free kicks per game would be up minimum 15+ from previous years

All I know is that the SCG has special treatment because we must have Sydney in the top 8 at all times for the good of the game in Rugby land

All I know is that the SCG has special treatment because we must have Sydney in the top 8 at all times for the good of the game in Rugby land
Well this is a huge relief, I was worried about whether we would make finals in the first half 😅

I do laugh at people saying the umpiring is killing the game ignoring that games in the 80s and 90 more often than not had 50+ free kicks

The more the umpires have tried to let the game go recently the scrappier the games have become

60 free kicks tonight. What is happening to our game.

Prohibited contact? Wow. What is that? The umpires are creating more touches than a quality ruckman. The game is getting closer and closer to unwatchable by the game. Not even a Carlton Collingwood sell out can save the spectator numbers.
It's incredible, isn't it? Umpires are umpiring to the letter of the law and paying 50 to 60 free kicks
JUST LIKE THEY DID IN THE 1980's.

And the game is opening up and we're seeing fast, flowing footy with both teams scoring in excess of 100 points
JUST LIKE WE SAW IN THE 1980's.

Amazing. Who'd a thunk it?

But this is a big problem according to the numpties who can't stand seeing ticky-tack free kicks. Knuckle-draggers like Brian Taylor and Wayne Carey who do nothing but complain about umpiring - they'll tell you it's too many free kicks. According to them, umpires should "let the game flow" and only pay about 20 to 30 free kicks per match. :drunk:

That's the amazing conundrum of AFL footy. We can have lots of free kicks like in netball and it actually promotes fast, flowing, entertaining, high-scoring footy. Or we can put the whistle away, "let the players play"... let them get away with constantly infringing.. Use "common sense"... and only penalise them for the "obvious" infringements.... and if we do that, the game devolves into an unwatchable, low-scoring defensive arm-wrestle.

Alastair Clarkson said this for past 7 or 8 years, but nobody ever listened to him, or took him seriously. Cοckheads like Kane Cornes would jump all over him and accuse him of whinging; or trying to influence umps and obtain an unfair advantage...:drunk::drunk::drunk:

What Clarko always said was "We don't need to change the rules, nor invent stupid new rule interpretations to open the game up. We just need umpires to pay the free kicks which are there. No quicker way to open up the game than by paying a free kick."

But people can't handle it. It actually infuriates them to hear the umpire's whistle all the time. My solution to that is to get Channel 7 and Fox Footy to remove the umpire audio from their telecast. All it does intrude upon the fans' viewing experience and makes everyone focus on umpiring instead of the footy. It's terrible. We can hear the whistle anyway. We don't need the ump's whistle amplified SO LOUD!!!!!! Mic the umpires up, but only as a coaching tool, or for the use of instant replay.... Let's hear the umps (only on a replay) if it's something interesting the viewers should hear. We don't need to hear STAND! STAND! STAND! every 5 seconds. It ruins the game

Let's remove the umpire audio and shift the commentary focus away from umpiring.
Let's have the crowd noise like we used to get - not drowned out by umpires - and let's focus on what the 44 players do.

Last edited:
I do laugh at people saying the umpiring is killing the game ignoring that games in the 80s and 90 more often than not had 50+ free kicks

The more the umpires have tried to let the game go recently the scrappier the games have become

Those frees were BLATANT as in deliberate punches to the head or cannoning in while players were picking up the ball.

The game was rough and crude and played completely different.

Those frees were BLATANT as in deliberate punches to the head or cannoning in while players were picking up the ball.

The game was rough and crude and played completely different.
They also paid holding the ball properly instead of allowing people to drop it out which just invited more packs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back