Umpiring Free kicks & free kick ladders

Remove this Banner Ad

The slowed down version of the Rioli posted earlier in this thread makes it look super soft. It's still soft, but not that bad.

At the end of the day he's thrown an elbow at an opponent with his back turned. Who enjoys this? Who wants to see this? I'm glad it's a free kick no matter how soft it is.

I thought your name only affects your eyesight.
Obviously not.

Umps need to permanently umpire like it’s the finals series. Always improves when not every rule is applied to the letter of the law (given that law is usually moronic)

To be fair, the 50 in that instance is for time wasting.

If the siren has gone, I suppose technically you're not really wasting time.
warners kick = gave the swans an xtra 30 seconds to put extras back on goal line in case prestia gets hold of a 65m torp = time wasting.

hJN9Lkix9Jkb-jy6HriJQno5AuQ=.gif

Just put the ******* whistle away and only pay the clear ones. It's really not that hard.

Put last night aside, the umpiring are far too influential in passages, quarters and games far too often and it is taking away from the game. I really hope the new boss can sort it out. It's without doubt the biggest issue in the game.

It just astounds me the way they officiate this game now and pluck random free kicks out of their backside.

That Rioli prohibited contact happens 200 times a game. Either they are all frees or none. Don’t just pick some random incident and pin that and ignore the rest. It’s none or all if it’s a rule.

Nobody wants to watch a game where on average every second contest is a free kick. Any close game now you can just about guarantee there is umpire controversy at the end as the AFL have made a mockery of the rule book.

The game is hard to watch and not at all in a good place as a fan.

Common sense was applied to the Warner decision at the end of the game, but not to the Rioli decision which goes to show that umps pick and choose what and when to interpet things.

If you are 'good', with THIS being a free kick, 40 seconds into the game - right infront of goal, as the first of the match.

Then you'll be re-evaluating your opinion once the umpires do something as mind-numbingly stupid to Hawthorn this weekend.

Since when was a ******* spoil a free kick.
The spoil had nothing to do with it, it was for tarrant grabbing the jumper wasn’t it? It’s piss weak and I don’t agree with it but any slight jumper grab they pay these days. We’ve copped just as many stinking decisions as any other team. We have James sicily who at one point only had to breathe on an opponent for them to pay a free against him.
From memory, the whistle was blown BEFORE the player who delivered the ball inside 50 (Hayward I think), so the free kick occurred well before the footage that Channel 7 showed.

If it was for the contact in the footage, it was soft as s**t. But I believe it was paid before the footage that was shown. Unfortunately there's no full match replay yet on the AFL website, and neither the Mini Match nor highlights show it so I can't verify this and could be wrong, but I do believe the whistle came well before the footage shown by Channel 7.

Just put the ******* whistle away and only pay the clear ones. It's really not that hard.
I don't agree.

It sickens me that they don't pay enough 'Incorrect Disposal', they should be red hot on it.

Same with key forwards being infringed against. They need to pay way more 'Chopping the Arms'. It's bullshit.

The 'In the Back' and 'High Contact' ones I'd be happy to be let go.

I don’t mind them paying the frees that are there, and was encouraged to see tackles being rewarded in both the VFL and AFL game today.

But 2 weeks ago that wasn’t happening.

I also don’t mind when players initiate gratuitous contact off the ball that they are penalised.

But two weeks ago and for the decades prior that wasn’t a free kick.

Maybe the clubs have had these things explained to them. Maybe they haven’t. But the fans of the game have had no explanation. So it is as confusing as f*ck.

We used to have umpires advisor Hayden Kennedy explaining decisions to us after each round. Now it is a mystery to us. Three weeks ago you could throw the ball and it was almost impossible to get a free for holding the ball. Now none of us know wtf is going on week to week.

Brad Scott and Dan Richardson have disenfranchised a lot of people. It seems there are massive adjustments to the way the game is umpired on an almost weekly basis. You don’t have to think long about that in the context of any other sport to realise how f*cked up it is. Imagine if cricket kept constantly changing the interpretation of what constitutes a wide, or if scores were too low they said for a catch to be out your hands need to not touch the ground at all from this week on, and then 4 weeks later after a run of big scores said they will relax the interpretation of what constitutes a catch as scoring is getting too high.

Make rules, and make them according to clear principles. Then let the umpires as a group interpret those rules. Only interfere if there is some sort of big malfunction.

Post of the Week imo.

It is not just the fans but the players who are confused. There were some ludicrous decisions paid and not paid last night. Both teams suffered. It is now the same every game.

The Hardwick and Horse pressers were remarkably similar. Both were terse, very short and close to going coco bananas about the Umps.

Umpires are not the stars of the game! They should not be central but they are. Bloody Brayshaw will soon start talking about which private school the Umps went to.

Time for the AFLCA to find their collective cohunas and call enough is enough! Suggest they delegate 3 coaches to meet with Brett Scott and then address a full training session of Umps.

Common sense was applied to the Warner decision at the end of the game, but not to the Rioli decision which goes to show that umps pick and choose what and when to interpet things.
exactly it was obvious at least one ump was going to implement the 50 but was over ruled yet riolis was never even a miniscule free, so if thats overtuned everyone says yeah good, common sense prevails.

Their egos have gone overboard especially with being mic'd up

Im related to a simple boundary umpire and from his facebook feed you'd think he's curing cancer and ending war in Ukraine. Cant imagine how big the egos of the real umpires are once they have their microphones strapped on ready to broadcast to the nation all friday night. Their self important image suffers if the game goes 2 minutes without a free kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do laugh at people saying the umpiring is killing the game ignoring that games in the 80s and 90 more often than not had 50+ free kicks

The more the umpires have tried to let the game go recently the scrappier the games have become
Agreed. Not paying free kicks for incorrect disposal, holding the man and push in the back produces an ugly maul.

"Putting the whistle away" is a sugar hit for the game. Fine in the short term, detrimental in the long term.

Also, when did knocking the ball out of a player's hands become holding the ball? If there's no tackle, it's play on.

If you are 'good', with THIS being a free kick, 40 seconds into the game - right infront of goal, as the first of the match.

Then you'll be re-evaluating your opinion once the umpires do something as mind-numbingly stupid to Hawthorn this weekend.

Since when was a ******* spoil a free kick.
My recollection was it was paid for the jumper tug. Really soft but technically there they would argue. You could say the Prestia one that was paid at the final siren was just as soft, especially after they missed Warner copping an elbow to the face milliseconds earlier.

From a swans supporters perspective of the umpiring this season, my greatest frustration with the rules has been the inconsistency with the Holding the Ball interpretation. There have been times throughout the year where it genuinely looks like the teams are playing to a different set of rules. I felt there were a couple of examples of this last night.

The difference in prior has a noticeable effect throughout a game too with one team able to make calculated and calmer decisions because they know they are going to be given longer, while other teams panic their decision making because they are being pinged immediately.

60 free kicks tonight. What is happening to our game.

Prohibited contact? Wow. What is that? The umpires are creating more touches than a quality ruckman. The game is getting closer and closer to unwatchable by the game. Not even a Carlton Collingwood sell out can save the spectator numbers.
New player dissent rules for a few weeks then up the free kicks count

Way too many free kicks. I think it has to do with Geelong manipulation. Hocking should not be allowed to go to Geelong and Scott’s brother hold the umpire head rule, it’s just a conflict of interest. More free kicks disrupts a chaos style and suits the possession kick to kick style. Just let them play the game and revert the rules to 2008 - 2012.
Do you really believe this s**t? Just determining what side of 60 your IQ is.

Imagine the likes of Ted Whitten, Jack Dyer or Fos Williams viewing tonight's match, what would they think of it?
Well, in Ted Whitten's last game, the umpire paid 112 free kicks, so EJ would probably be wondering if they've lost the peas out of their whistles.

I hate how at almost any opportunity when a forward kicks a goal when there has been a free kick it gets paid as a 50m when given how soft free kicks are these days as if a player is going to stop and wait and see what the outcome is. It’s instinct that they pick up the ball and try and score yet when the heat come on the umpires last night to pay one they said they used common sense??

Couldn’t they have used common sense when they are paying these free kicks like the Rioli one shown on here and last week the Tom Mitchell ones?

For what it’s worth I don’t think the Warner thing should have been 50 he was just pumped about winning the game which was his instinct which is why I don’t believe the ones where forwards crumb and goal and get penalized. If they are trying to say he didn’t hear the whistle can’t you say that for all of them, majority of games you go to if anything exciting happens at someone’s forward end you can’t hear the whistle anyway.

What has our game come to with all these soft free kicks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back