Free to air.

Remove this Banner Ad

It was awesome though in the late 90s when we were getting 5 or 6 free to air games a weekend in Perth. Always two on a Sunday, One on Friday and either 2 or three on a Saturday.

It is a testament to the business acumen of those involved that they managed to walk the public from that scenario to paying.

It wasn't awesome. Typically only Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon were live.

You can pay for it on Kayo, or get a VPN and buy the international package.

It was awesome though in the late 90s when we were getting 5 or 6 free to air games a weekend in Perth. Always two on a Sunday, One on Friday and either 2 or three on a Saturday.

It is a testament to the business acumen of those involved that they managed to walk the public from that scenario to paying.

Not all good things last!
Why do people insist on re-writing history here, FTA coverage was better than now but we never got as many as 3 quarters of the games on TV for free and half of them weren't even live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live in Melbourne, paying for Fox or Kayo is the only real option for me or I'd only watch about 3 games a year. Kayo works great and is great value as I also watch F1, Cricket etc etc. It costs as much as a schooner a week.

I don't understand why channel 7 would want to do this in Perth or Adelaide.

Friday night I get because 5.50 isn't great viewing time but why would you want to show a midday game at 3pm?

It's not a Channel 7 decision, but a request by Foxtel that was included into the most recent rights agreement. Foxtel wanted to have exclusive LIVE access to three away games for WCE & Freo games in WA and Adel & Port games in SA. They use it as a way to promote their service as something of value.

Im not sure why you’d bother airing the game if you’re not going to show it live. I know they like their news lead in but the great majority of their audience will find alternate ways to watch the game. Surely it’s better for all parties (except Foxtel I suppose) for that game to be live broadcasted.

channel 10 and 9 was elite in WA. Felt like there was footy on all weekend.

The quality is trash these days so I don’t care, no such possible good match up, but having no game on a Saturday proper feels a bit wack.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back