Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton layed a big steaming turd on old Rosscoes chest yesterday its true ( oh no !).However Fremantle had many important players out through injury.They are still one or two wins above what I as a West Coast Eagles supporter are comfortable with and also on the weight to age to games played experiance ometer Fremantle are tracking well so I feel they are doing well and not to be taken lightly nor made fun of.

Last edited:
That was hard to watch, with the team we have and the caliber of players we have we shouldn't be losing to teams like Carlton. It'll definitely come back to haunt us when it comes down to the last few rounds and whether or not we make finals. You can make claims that we have injuries or that the umpires had a say in costing us the match but at the end of the day they're all invalid excuses. Sure the umpiring was s**t but when you're a good team you overcome that and still win. Sure we have injuries, but so did Carlton. It was a pathetic performance and not one that should be occurring with this side. We need to bounce back over the next few weeks if we wanna stay in contention for finals. I want a flag, but we aren't getting anywhere close with performances like that.

Carlton layed a big steaming turd on old Rosscoes chest yesterday its true ( oh no !).However Fremantle had many important players out through injury.They are still one or two wins above what I as a West Coast Eagles supporter are comfortable with and also on the weight to age to games played experiance ometer Fremantle are tracking well so I feel they are doing well and not to be taken lightly nor made fun of.
Carlton also had some big names out yesterday

Let's call it even then. We were without our #1 KPD, our #1 Ruck, our #1 and #2 Forward due to injury. Carlton outplayed us sure but both teams had to deal with injuries to key players, it wasn't just Carlton.
Well we will see this week I guess. I expect that the Dockers will come out breathing fire and play Lobb which gives the ruck and forward line a boost. We have Gov and Barrass to come back in so apart from Hutchings we are arguably full strength. I trust that we will have a shocking quarter like our 3rd in the Derby it's about us hitting the scoreboard hard when we are up and limiting the damage when we have a shocker.

Derby prediction:

1. Freo will play a blinder in the first and go into quarter time 4 goals up.
2. West Coast will spend the rest of the day pegging the result back. Freo to play the extra in defence all day to protect their lead
3. West Coast win by 20pts. Freo touted as "brave"

The parallels between metropolitan teams West Coast Eagles / Fremantle Dockers and New York Giants / Jets in NFL is remarkable. Yes, the Giants have turd seasons, as have West Coast, but they win championships. Freo, like the Jets, have their rare day in the sun, but ultimately come up empty handed. The common theme is poor decisions

That is the laughable part, a lot of them want a veteran on his last legs to come back and be the saviour, poor bloke has done a mountain of work over the journey and after not playing this year is expected to come back and save them. Heck why not bring Ballas back as well.
I think most of us would prefer Lobb, Hogan and Pearce to be fit. Sandilands is basically a stop gap at this stage.

None of this excuses the loss to Carlton. Just a joke result, by an unserious club.

Carlton have been pretty s**t in the past four seasons, and we’ve lost to them at home twice, 2016 and 2019.

Anyone else done this? I’m thinking Essendon and Gold Coast?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really want Sandilands back honestly. Sure, bring him and Ballantyne in during the last round or last home game for a send-off, but other than that he shouldn't be near the team. I've seen maybe one or two Fremantle fans say he should be a regular so I don't know where old mate Magnum27 is getting this idea from.

Why not keep Ross for another year, he is still under contract, no point get rid of him now, new coach more likely get the blame for his left over like St kilda.

I don't really want Sandilands back honestly. Sure, bring him and Ballantyne in during the last round or last home game for a send-off, but other than that he shouldn't be near the team. I've seen maybe one or two Fremantle fans say he should be a regular so I don't know where old mate Magnum27 is getting this idea from.

read the changes thread for the Derby on your board mate, a fair few want him in this week. Unless he is injured you have to persevere with young Darcy, he is all you have and needs game time to get better.

read the changes thread for the Derby on your board mate, a fair few want him in this week. Unless he is injured you have to persevere with young Darcy, he is all you have and needs game time to get better.
I can't say I don't agree with you because I do. I understand some of the mentality of wanting a strong veteran leading the attack and understand them saying Darcy looked cooked but at the end of the day we can't give up on him whenever he's out of puff.

I can't say I don't agree with you because I do. I understand some of the mentality of wanting a strong veteran leading the attack and understand them saying Darcy looked cooked but at the end of the day we can't give up on him whenever he's out of puff.

Agreed, the best learning curve is playing, playing WAFL won't improve his match fitness, players can bludge a bit at that level and get away with it. He has shown glimpses of what he is capable of, don't give up on him, he is only a youngster.

Kruezer was towering over him and pushing him off the ball with his finger. Imagine what NicNat would do to him? The young fella needs a rest. Looked cooked

Apparently he did a fitness test during the warmup. Fair to say hes not 100%. You're correct on game time.
We need to be the best version of ourselves if we're to make finals after two losses. That goes to every player. If both are at 100% for a must win game, who do you pick? I don't think we'll pick a team this week with an eye to the future. It'll be about now.

not to be taken lightly nor made fun of.
Wouldn't mind both. A lot of fun, so our player get angry, ruthless and determined. And taken lightly helps as well.

But taken teams lightly perhaps is a bit of a circle. We were surely seen as a team not to be taken lightly a few weeks ago, changed now, win a few again it it will change again.

Apparently he did a fitness test during the warmup. Fair to say hes not 100%. You're correct on game time.
We need to be the best version of ourselves if we're to make finals after two losses. That goes to every player. If both are at 100% for a must win game, who do you pick? I don't think we'll pick a team this week with an eye to the future. It'll be about now.

Understand finals are always the end goal, regardless of what chance you think you have progressing, nothing beats playing finals. But you should also have some forward planning involved with an eye to the future, otherwise you end up like you are now, with a young guy who is not 100% ready and an old guy who can't do what he once did, for you guys Darcy is the future not an old guy at the end of his career, who in all honesty should not have gone on this year with all the wear and tear he has accrued over his time, Sandi has been huge for your club, but his time is up.

This is where i like what my club is doing, Oscar Allen is far from setting the world on fire, but he is getting valuable game time learning as he goes from two decent forwards.

Kruezer was towering over him and pushing him off the ball with his finger. Imagine what NicNat would do to him? The young fella needs a rest. Looked cooked

Fair enough on nic jumping over him, still would think it would be invaluable learning for him with an eye to the future, is Sandi going to add much difference than Darcy after not playing until this point.

I think most of us would prefer Lobb, Hogan and Pearce to be fit. Sandilands is basically a stop gap at this stage.

None of this excuses the loss to Carlton. Just a joke result, by an unserious club.

No doubt injuries to key players are hurting you, but you are correct losing to Carlton is hard to believe. I know Eagles fans and Dockers don't see eye to eye a lot of time, but credit is due for sticking with them for so long has to go to the fans, it must be bloody tough.

Hickey will run off Sandi around the ground if they play him. Have Darcy ruck 40% to Lobb's 60%, rotating through the forward line. Winning the tap isn't everything if the opposition ruck can get a lot of the ball around the ground and up forward because your ruck can't move well enough to keep up with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back