Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

How did WC kick 19.8 in those conditions?

Maybe a nervous Freo defence conceding frees and some close in shots from ground level ball explain it. I do think it's partly a product of the side playing so many genuine forwards though. Few other teams do it, outside of Geelong and sort of GWS. Though in GWSs case it's more players so talented, they can impact in more than one position.
Don't know DnM. Would be interesting to see the expected probability of our shots. Think we took quite a few from close in, but there were some pretty freaky snaps too, Shuey and Cameron and Cripps and Rioli all kicked difficult ones. Just one of those days where it all works.

Don't know DnM. Would be interesting to see the expected probability of our shots. Think we took quite a few from close in, but there were some pretty freaky snaps too, Shuey and Cameron and Cripps and Rioli all kicked difficult ones. Just one of those days where it all works.
Definitely.

But having reliable goal kickers like Cripps, Cameron etc. does seem to increase our probability of kicking scores from limited entries.

I don't know if it's just me reaching, or if having a number of real forwards is now a genuine advantage. Excess midfield numbers at the contest from the bounce is now less important/viable a strategy. There are also fewer chances to push defenders back into a forwardline. So the value of a talented forward has increased, since they now get more 1v1 contests.

Melb MCG W
Carlton Burswood W
WC Burswood 50/50
Haw Tas L
Syd Burswood W
Footscray Docklands W
Geelong Burswood L
St Kilda Docklands W
Essendon Burswood W
Port Adelaide L

I'm not using pencil mate. That draw and your form deserves a sharpie on an expensive table cloth. Monties. Well done. Hopefully the run ends early september!

Well, this post aged well.

NN had a huge impact.

Agreed. Freo supporters still parroting the "Nic Nat No Stat" line simply didnt watch what happened last night. A dozen times Nic followed up his own tap work out of the center/ at a stoppage and either kicked a forward entry himself or freed up a mid to take an uncontested possession on the run and make a forward entry. Any other ruck in the comp does that and they get 3 Brownlow votes.

With just 2 games under his belt Nic is easily in the top 5 rucks in the league right now. He is stupidly talented and improves our midfield without question. To say that he "wasnt impressive" is simply, unquestionably wrong.

Agreed. Freo supporters still parroting the "Nic Nat No Stat" line simply didnt watch what happened last night. A dozen times Nic followed up his own tap work out of the center/ at a stoppage and either kicked a forward entry himself or freed up a mid to take an uncontested possession on the run and make a forward entry. Any other ruck in the comp does that and they get 3 Brownlow votes.

With just 2 games under his belt Nic is easily in the top 5 rucks in the league right now. He is stupidly talented and improves our midfield without question. To say that he "wasnt impressive" is simply, unquestionably wrong.
Well said

Ross Lyon should be out the door - To answer the topic heading. That was a weak effort last night from the Dockers and he is the Coach so the buck stops with him.
WA footy needs to strong AFL teams right now.

What a load of horses**t. He was literally the bounce of a ball away from being a premiership coach for a side that has 1 in its entire history. His StKilda team also was a kick off the ground by Scarlett away from challenging one of the greatest teams ever

He then took a team to a GF that has never been to one before and was beaten by another of the greatest sides ever.

Only an idiot could dismiss his coaching CV
Any one of the Coaches could have taken that list to a Grand Final

Made a post about the whole situation on the Fremantle reddit community and thought I might as well say it here too.

Now I can comfortably say that I'm one of the biggest Fremantle fans you'll get, I bleed purple, I love this club more than just about anything, I'll live and die as a mighty Dockers fan, but last night's game drew a line in the sand for me. Yes, you can say that we beat GWS, Collingwood and Brisbane too, but at the same time, we go and lose to teams that we should be easily disposing of in Gold Coast, Melbourne and Carlton. That is not becoming of a supposed top 8 team, what we've dished up in the last month is completely unacceptable. You can blame it on injuries, umpires and all those non-factors all you like, the fact of the matter is, it's because we've been playing like s**t plain and simple. And the thing that has bothered me this season is that a large amount of fans are happy to sit back and just accept it, saying that 10 wins is a successful season and a pass for this, how pathetic is that? Have we become so entrenched in mediocrity for such a long period of time that 10 wins is considered a pass mark? What the actual hell? In footy, you play to win, and you play to win premierships. If you don't make finals, then your season is a failure, because you haven't achieved what teams strive to do in this competition and that's win games. The Fremantle fanbase as a whole used to be so much more passionate, we used to beg and play for finals at any cost but due to 25 years of achieving absolutely nothing, our fans have come to be accepting of mediocrity. I want finals and I want a flag, but I don't see it happening under Lyon. If Rosich and the board had any heart or passion for this club, they'd march into work on Monday and tell Lyon "Get us to finals, or you're out." Players like Langdon need a kick up the arse for their pathetic disposal efficiency and overall lack of effort in the game, I'd be ok with Colyer never playing for us again either. Sandilands looks to be done and shouldn't have been playing last night, we should have persisted with Darcy. Why play guys like Cerra and Blakely in the backline when they're just going to get monstered. Why not bring in Nyhuis and Duman who are actual defenders to allow those guys up the ground?

s**t needs to change, and us as a fanbase need to join together, harden the * up and demand this change, we deserve better than the crap we've been given for the last 4 years. If Carlton and North Melbourne can change for the better, why can't we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Made a post about the whole situation on the Fremantle reddit community and thought I might as well say it here too.

Now I can comfortably say that I'm one of the biggest Fremantle fans you'll get, I bleed purple, I love this club more than just about anything, I'll live and die as a mighty Dockers fan, but last night's game drew a line in the sand for me. Yes, you can say that we beat GWS, Collingwood and Brisbane too, but at the same time, we go and lose to teams that we should be easily disposing of in Gold Coast, Melbourne and Carlton. That is not becoming of a supposed top 8 team, what we've dished up in the last month is completely unacceptable. You can blame it on injuries, umpires and all those non-factors all you like, the fact of the matter is, it's because we've been playing like s**t plain and simple. And the thing that has bothered me this season is that a large amount of fans are happy to sit back and just accept it, saying that 10 wins is a successful season and a pass for this, how pathetic is that? Have we become so entrenched in mediocrity for such a long period of time that 10 wins is considered a pass mark? What the actual hell? In footy, you play to win, and you play to win premierships. If you don't make finals, then your season is a failure, because you haven't achieved what teams strive to do in this competition and that's win games. The Fremantle fanbase as a whole used to be so much more passionate, we used to beg and play for finals at any cost but due to 25 years of achieving absolutely nothing, our fans have come to be accepting of mediocrity. I want finals and I want a flag, but I don't see it happening under Lyon. If Rosich and the board had any heart or passion for this club, they'd march into work on Monday and tell Lyon "Get us to finals, or you're out." Players like Langdon need a kick up the arse for their pathetic disposal efficiency and overall lack of effort in the game, I'd be ok with Colyer never playing for us again either. Sandilands looks to be done and shouldn't have been playing last night, we should have persisted with Darcy. Why play guys like Cerra and Blakely in the backline when they're just going to get monstered. Why not bring in Nyhuis and Duman who are actual defenders to allow those guys up the ground?

s**t needs to change, and us as a fanbase need to join together, harden the fu** up and demand this change, we deserve better than the crap we've been given for the last 4 years. If Carlton and North Melbourne can change for the better, why can't we?
No one is putting the heat on him in the Perth media.

3 weeks ago Lyon was a saviour, Freo are just weak as piss. Lost to Melbourne ( two rotations down though ) blew a lead in the last seconds to Carlton, Not Lyon's fault. Last night was a disgrace, but the Eagles played like legionnaire's.

Everyone loves a scapegoat.

LEAVE LYIN ALONEEEE!!!!!!

3 weeks ago Lyon was a saviour, Freo are just weak as piss. Lost to Melbourne ( two rotations down though ) blew a lead in the last seconds to Carlton, Not Lyon's fault. Last night was a disgrace, but the Eagles played like legionnaire's.

Everyone loves a scapegoat.

LEAVE LYIN ALONEEEE!!!!!!

Imagine being related to this person

I was at the game on Saturday night - Langdon's (and others but he was worst) crap kicking in the first quarter burned Freo. In the second half it got to the point that it was funny that every Freo shot hit the post or missed - Matera didn't make the distance from 35m - was just a groan fest and one of those games where everything goes right for one side and nothing for the other - + (ducks head at the hate to come) Umpiring was pretty woeful - scratched my head at a lot of the decisions . . . Freo got frees in defence and WC in attack

Thoughts Maniac? Will try to objectively look at this.

Awfully hard to get a read on this team. Have looked very good at times this year with barnstorming wins against quality opposition - GWS, Coll, Brisbane etc. then on disastrous losses to GC, Carlton, Melb and WC.

They haven't looked the same since Pearce and Hogan went down, perhaps even Tabener. Even though Hogan hasn't put in a great year, I think he's a very smart footballer and straightens the dockers up all over the ground. Pearce was in AA form before going down.
Freo always seem to cop awful injury runs, particularly in the back half of seasons. Seems to happen every single year. Bad luck? or perhaps the S and C team needs looking at? Hard to tell.

It's hard to overlook the big losses for mine. A look at Richmonds injury list and subsequent form gives a decent insight to what injuries can do to a team. However, the difference is they still beat the teams they should. Something Freo haven't managed to do.

It's hard not to argue a few players aren't coming on as they should. Brayshaw, Cerra, Blakely aren't playing as well as hoped with strong suggestions they're being played out of position.

I actually rate Freo's list. They've recruited exceptionally well over the past few seasons, seemingly with the right blend of youth and experience which is why Freo fans should get excited over the prospect of a new coach and what he could bring to this team.

Freo were ruthless in bringing Lyon to this club. It would seem they need to be equally ruthless in tipping him out to take this team forward.
Peter Bell is a short man but theres seemingly never been a more crucial time to stand tall for the future prospects of this club.

Interested to see what your thoughts are, post Derby, Maniac.
1st off I would like to Apoligize for not responding earlier enough as my account was suspended for 2 weeks.

I would also like to Apoligize for that derby game that was shown on Free to air on WA and on Foxtel.

Now I watched the Derby on saturday night. Easily the worst game this season freo played. Let alone the worst home game.

Yeah we kicked 2.19. Are freo really that bad? No. Its weird saying this. We kicked 2.12 by 3 quarter time and that should of been 4.10 or 5.9.

half of those shots were rushed, the others were misses.

The other 2019 games have shown otherwise. If you look at freo since round 1 of 2017, Freos form is extreme. There is a bloody massive gap between their best and worst. Freos best win is the GWS game away. the worst loss is Carlton at home.

Freo beat a top 4 team away against GWS and Collingwood but lose to a bottom 4 team like Carlton.

How much is Ross Lyon at fault?

As I have Previously Posted, Ross Lyon would be depending of the situation around 20-40% of freos problems. Yeah he has done good. But I do question some policies in the last few weeks. He should of given the likes of Tom North and Hugh Dixon a debut game. Not that Ross Lyon hasnt given games to youth.

The players lay 20-40% of the blame. Some players have had good games this year, some have gone backwards, soe are duds.

I also give 20-40% of the blame to our Footy department such as medical staff and Strength and Conditioning and fitness coaches and our assistant and development coaches.. Yeah we have had injuries. Amazing that freo have a s**t load of KPFs in Hogan, Tarberner and Lobb and Cox and they get injured.

People are far too reactive. Ultimately, it's very rare to see a match with 6 scoring shots the difference be a 90 point blow out. Ross can't control his players missing myriad simple shots while West Coast convert a heap of challenging kicks.
A Well civilized post well done.

and yet people forget this stat......

This is the 1st time this season freo have been Belted by 50 points or more this season. Yeah we got beaten by richmond by 25 points at home earlier this year but it masked the fact we were down by 7-9 goals in the final quarter.

compare that to 2018, we lost 9 games by 50 points or more. 4 of them came between rounds 1-14. Roud 15 we got the bye. the other 5 came between rounds 16-23. this was due to 2 reasons.

1. senior players got injured.
2. Freo played the youth due to senoir players got injured.

Also, the other freo losses.....

lost to the suns by under a goal in gold coast
lost to the crows by 17 in Adelaide
lost to essendon by 8 in docklands
lost to demons by 14 points in the MCG.
Lost to Carlton by 4 points in Perth.

we have lost games but not been thumped.

the derby loss magnified the defeats overall.

had freo won 2-3 more close games, freo would be in the top 6, possibly top 4.

Freo have had a lot of players, play on beyond what they should have, because they couldn’t be replaced, Pavlich, Sandilands, Ballantyne, mJohnson,etc etc

now Mundy might be part of this too, by now, other players should have come through forcing the older guys out.

Sandilands returning tonight, was bizarre, and wreaked of desperation, I felt sorry for him.
KPPs take time to develop.

We hung on to Pav in Hope that Apeness and Tabs would develop well. Apeness sadly is retired due to multiple knee injuries.

People Crap on keeping sandilands for 2019. I didnt think it was a bad decision. It gave darcy time to develop more. Darcy is from the 2016 draft.

We got him from geelong under 18s. Ironic his debut game: Round 14, 2017. Against Geelong in Geelong. Darcy was rested in the derby. It seems by the end of this season and by the start of 2020, Sandi is gone, Darcy is in his 4th year and the main ruckman.

People bag out having Michael Johnson for too long, I disagree. He was injured in 2016 and only played 5 games. Only reason he stayed in 2017, was because he was contracted until 2017. He and Hamling were the 2 main experienced KPD. While Brennan Cox and Sam Collins and logue got games. Speaking of Sam Collins, a few dockers fans on the freo board were upset that he got delisted in 2017. He played 10 games in 2016, then 2 in 2017. He was handy depth. Glad he is doing well in Gold coast.

Ballantyne is a depth player behind Walters and Matera.

Mundy is 34 years old but we are playing a lot of young mids in brayshaw, banfield, cerra and crowden and Giro.

We got Crapped on for giving Ballantyne and Sandilands one year extensions last season. People forget that we traded our 2018 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders in 2017. So freo had only 4 picks before the start of the 2018 trade period : a 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th pick. they were picks 5, 77, 95 and 113.

I knew the moment freo had pick 5, I knew they were going to trade pick 5 and a 3rd rounder for someones 1st 2nd and 3rd rounder.

I half expected to trade picks 5 and 41 for picks 10, 28 and 46.

then Port decided to come to the Party. We traded picks 5 and our 2019 3rd rounder. Port gave us picks 11, 23, 29 and 47. I would of been happy just to get picks 11, 29 and 47. had Freo knew they were going to do that, they would of forced ballantyne and sandi to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back