Analysis Fremantle's assistant coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Goo will be a fantastic get. Sceptical about Hale, but hope it all works out.

Rock played for us once too

Do you guys know if Hale had planned to move into coaching all along?

Just wondering if Hale had already been selling himself to various clubs or if we've specifically asked a recently retired Hawks player to come and help us (i.e tell us everything you know about the Hawks and we'll give you a nice cushy coaching gig)

Obviously Hale has been playing but what coaching roles and teams have Guerra and Rock been coaching at? The article didn't seem to articulate that.

Guerra was (I believe) a player-coach for Chelsea in the Mornington Peninsula Football League. Guerra also did a very small amount of coaching at Hawthorn in the 2015 pre-season, but I don't think he helped out during the season. I spoke with Paul Puopolo about Guerra's coaching and Poppy told me that Guerra was very demanding as a coach, just like he was when he was a player with the Hawks. Whatever standards Ross Lyon wants set down, Guerra will be there to enforce them.

Rock coached the Greenvale Jets in the Essendon & District Football League to back to back flags a couple of years ago. A mate of mine played under Rock at the Jets and said he was one of the best coaches he's played under. Rock has a bit of AFL assistant coaching experience already under his belt (St Kilda, from memory).

Guerra is the really exciting addition for me - he's exactly the kind of player who traditionally excels at coaching, and if he can fix up our diabolically slow ball movement off the half back line I'll be a very happy camper indeed.

Rock is a good experienced head who I imagine will move into Kirk's midfield coaching role. Hale is a little more difficult to place...I doubt he's experienced enough to supplant Suma or Simon Eastaugh, but the club may have approached him to take over Simon Lloyd's role at the development academy (and of course spill everything he knows about Hawthorn!).

Do you guys know if Hale had planned to move into coaching all along?

Just wondering if Hale had already been selling himself to various clubs or if we've specifically asked a recently retired Hawks player to come and help us (i.e tell us everything you know about the Hawks and we'll give you a nice cushy coaching gig)

Nah I had no idea. In his retirement press conference he said he had ambitions to become a teacher. Has a good footy brain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always good to see coaches coming in with a teaching background.

More importantly all 3 have come from successful teams.

My thinking is that Hale will replace Easthaugh as the ruck coach and Simon to take over the forward line or will be at Peel full time . Rock will be the development coach and Guerra as the midfield coach . I expect that Hale and Guerra will be whispering to RTB recruit left footers at their first meeting .

How are we able to entice 3 Victorians in the space of a week to relocate all the way to the other side of the country. You would think they would all have wives and children and be more entrenched to a family life than every other 20 - 28 year old player that doesn't want to come here and would not have marriages, kids, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back