List Mgmt. Freo Coaching Structure 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

This may have already been stated but heard that Roger hayden is off to coach Gosnells next yr so if true leave an opening fro maybe Prior or rock to be move dto development and get Mickey Barlow back as Mids coach - can't see any club picking him up. also could play the odd game at Peel to do some on field coaching as well.

Has Mick being doing his coaching accreditation?

I look to our assistants and ask " could anyone of these be considered as head coach material?" answer is No!!!. Then Look at the sides in top 9 at end of H&A season:
Egirls- Sam Mitchell, Jamie Graham
Tigers- Blake Carracella, Adam Kingsley, Bren Rutten(Bombers 2019)
Demons- Jade Rawlings, Craig Jennings
Hawks-Brett Ratten(saints in 2019), Scott Burns
Colon Wood- Robert Harvey, Bret Sanderson, Justin Logmuir
Port Power- Michel Voss, Matthew Nicks(2019 lead assistant GWS)
Sydeney- Brett Kirk, Rhyce Shaw( 2019 Nth Melb, AFLCA's assistant of the Yr 2018
Geelong- Matthew Knights, Nigel Lappin

Our coaching ranks are devoid of talent!!

I look to our assistants and ask " could anyone of these be considered as head coach material?" answer is No!!!. Then Look at the sides in top 9 at end of H&A season:
Egirls- Sam Mitchell, Jamie Graham
Tigers- Blake Carracella, Adam Kingsley, Bren Rutten(Bombers 2019)
Demons- Jade Rawlings, Craig Jennings
Hawks-Brett Ratten(saints in 2019), Scott Burns
Colon Wood- Robert Harvey, Bret Sanderson, Justin Logmuir
Port Power- Michel Voss, Matthew Nicks(2019 lead assistant GWS)
Sydeney- Brett Kirk, Rhyce Shaw( 2019 Nth Melb, AFLCA's assistant of the Yr 2018
Geelong- Matthew Knights, Nigel Lappin

Our coaching ranks are devoid of talent!!

Agreed and something we desperately need to fix this off season.

Our total inability to attract well credentialed assistant coaches is a huge concern. You can’t tell me that Rock, who’d been coaching amateur footy for 3 years or so, was the best candidate available when we took him a couple of years back.

I don't think to be come an assistant one needs coaching accreditation? Yes for head coach.
Don’t know if that’s right or wrong but either way, I doubt any club would appoint any coach who hadn’t at least started coach accreditation. It would be impossible to justify if the appointment ended up being a dud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our total inability to attract well credentialed assistant coaches is a huge concern. You can’t tell me that Rock, who’d been coaching amateur footy for 3 years or so, was the best candidate available when we took him a couple of years back.
it won't happen because lyon only wants plodders who won't rock the boat and do it his way. well credential assistants would come here if they thougth it would be good for their CV- getting to "work with" a supposed super coach not dictated to. Prepared to listen to other points of view to improve the team's performance.

It's been mentioned a few times that RTB doesn't like people to stand up to him with their own ideas and seems our assistant recruiting is for this purpose.

I believe we could attract well credentialed assistants if we wanted to. However, I don't believe we want to. Despite seeing how once struggling Richmond and Collingwood went in the last two years after injecting some experienced well credentialed (or training to be) assistants to their coaching structure, we went ahead and offered new contracts on the 1st August 2018 to all of our assistants that were out of contract for next year!

My hope is that we can attract Neil Balme to the club and have someone respected enough to change this completely short sighted and hardly successful strategy. Aren't any of our assistants on the Level 4 accreditation program and if not, why? Seems that everyone is just happy taking a paycheck and pretending we're improving while "rebuilding".

A good start if there is room to move an assistant to Roger Hayden's position, is to offer Blake Carisella the job with an option to apply or have inside running for head coach when time is up for RTB in my opinion.

It's been mentioned a few times that RTB doesn't like people to stand up to him with their own ideas and seems our assistant recruiting is for this purpose.
I think this is just a narrative created by the media because it fits with Ross' persona when dealing with them. I can't recall anyone who has coached alongside Ross coming out and describing him that way. Everything I've observed up close and personal when watching training or sitting nearby watching a Peel game seems the exact opposite imo. Everything points to a fair bit of mutual respect - not dissimilar to how a bunch of past players have described him as well (eg Barlow just the other day).

Having said that, I'd love Balme and Carracella at Freo. Or anyone else who seems competent. Not because they will stand up to Ross but because I think Ross would appreciate being supported by some great minded people. No disrespect to Bond and Lloyd but I'd suspect Ross would be excited about getting some new people to work beside (the Neale situation on the other hand...).

I think this is just a narrative created by the media because it fits with Ross' persona when dealing with them. I can't recall anyone who has coached alongside Ross coming out and describing him that way. Everything I've observed up close and personal when watching training or sitting nearby watching a Peel game seems the exact opposite imo. Everything points to a fair bit of mutual respect - not dissimilar to how a bunch of past players have described him as well (eg Barlow just the other day).

Having said that, I'd love Balme and Carracella at Freo. Or anyone else who seems competent. Not because they will stand up to Ross but because I think Ross would appreciate being supported by some great minded people. No disrespect to Bond and Lloyd but I'd suspect Ross would be excited about getting some new people to work beside (the Neale situation on the other hand...).

I don’t think it’s come from the media has it? I don’t listen to the talkback radio shows so I could be wrong but I’ve never heard anything along these lines. I think it’s more an observation from supporters emanating from him going and getting his mate Rock from the Amateurs plus the supposed low quality of our assistants and Ross poor record of developing coaches.

That may have been based on what Sumich has said in the media and who may have been the only one at the time to stand up to Ross. He paid for it by being moved to a different position, and then leaving. You also had Bret Kirk and Simon Lloyd leaving at the end of that year, both having a lot of input and responsibilities in training.

I wouldn't expect any of the current assistants to do anything but worship Ross to keep their jobs. Talking about the artlicle http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-16/next-off-the-bench-senior-coaches-in-waiting I think it's a problem that none of the 30 current assistants identified as having potential for future coaching roles came from FFC.

I think if Ross wasn't happy with the current assistant coaches the club would not have given them contracts for next year. So I don't think he would be happy at all with experienced credentialed coaches on board for next year.

That may have been based on what Sumich has said in the media and who may have been the only one at the time to stand up to Ross. He paid for it by being moved to a different position, and then leaving. You also had Bret Kirk and Simon Lloyd leaving at the end of that year, both having a lot of input and responsibilities in training.

I wouldn't expect any of the current assistants to do anything but worship Ross to keep their jobs. Talking about the artlicle http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-16/next-off-the-bench-senior-coaches-in-waiting I think it's a problem that none of the 30 current assistants identified as having potential for future coaching roles came from FFC.
Even with the Sumich stuff... A lot was said or inferred in the media but I don't recall ever seeing anything ever come from Sumich directly. I have a huge problem with speculation in the media that then gets treated as if it is just fact these days - and then it spreads and everyone just assumes it came from a credible source. The mainstream media is no better than BigFooty these days - I don't trust anything said in it.

Brett Kirk and Simon Lloyd were always leaving (back East) and it had nothing to do with Ross. Anyone that tells you otherwise is f.o.s.

I think if Ross wasn't happy with the current assistant coaches the club would not have given them contracts for next year. So I don't think he would be happy at all with experienced credentialed coaches on board for next year.

You read it like that. Another way of reading it is he is happy with how the coaching team he has underneath him is developing at Freo and wants to give them the same opportunity he is getting to see through their part of this rebuild. Suspect Ross might have fought to keep Bond if he didn't want someone with experience and new ideas coming in ;)

Nah, Sumich didn’t lose out because he was the only one to stand up to Lyon.

Sumich was lazy, and deserved the arse a couple of years before it finally happened, and was the source of leaks to his mates in the media, who are still talking him up.

Lazy as. His public interviews in the first couple of years were to the effect of how far he had to drive in the morning, and how much free time he got with the Freo job. During training sessions, he’d walk around with a ball in his arms and lean against the fence. He was always last out and first back in. The most I ever saw him do was bark out brief instructions to players.

He got moved coaching position because he was ineffective in his role for Freo, and I haven’t heard any Freo players talk about what a great influence he was. Players have talked about Stone, S. Lloyd and Kirk, but never Sumich.

You read it like that. Another way of reading it is he is happy with how the coaching team he has underneath him is developing at Freo

Why is it his decision? How about someone above him put him in his place and tell him to accept the fact that the performance of the coaching team needs to be improved like every other thing at the club? The idea that it can't be improved is ludicrous so why aren't we improving it?

Why is it his decision? How about someone above him put him in his place and tell him to accept the fact that the performance of the coaching team needs to be improved like every other thing at the club? The idea that it can't be improved is ludicrous so why aren't we improving it?
Completely agree but how do we know we aren't trying to improve it? We employed a specific person to improve our coaching last off season. We can speculate it hasn't improved but I'm not sure how any of us would have a clue.

Just because we haven't let any coaches go doesn't necessarily mean we aren't looking for new ones. I think sometimes people look at all this like a computer game rather than real life. In my company I am always looking to bring in great new talent but I'm also not going to clear the decks every few years either - staff high staff turnover is horrible for culture. Footy is tough because whilst you aren't performing on the field everyone assumes all your off the field stuff is a bloody mess. I'm very happy we are replacing Bond and Lloyd - I think that's a step in the right direction and is a pretty significant change for an off season. I think next season is when the coaching department starts producing or gets a big shake up. And hopefully the timing with some of those names on that up-and-coming coaches is a little better than it seems this off-season.

Yet Sumich can't land a gig anywhere... Yeah he's got some nuts..

Rock Coached St Bernard's to a premiership at Amateur level the year before joining us as a Development Coach .

Rock coached at Essendon District Football League club Greenvale before joining St Bernard’s and has experience as an AFL assistant at Melbourne, St Kilda and North Melbourne.
He was also involved at TAC Cup level with North Ballarat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back