News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Also just of interest, Quirk has said that of that $3.4 Billion for Victoria Park the review recommended, the stadium itself would likely be under $2 Billion. The rest would be for all of the surrounding precinct, and that he’d built in cost increase risk to that $3.4B figure.

This is the quote from Quirk:
“The actual construction of a stadium itself, in terms of the design and construct, is going to be probably under $2 billion for the Victoria Park Stadium.

But there are a lot of other add-on costs and you have to, to be fair, add in a significant risk component because of the escalating prices that we’re seeing.”

Beyond ropable. If this gets up (and I doubt it will after the election wipeout this year), the Lions are basically stuffed and will have have a third rate home ground that can't fit its members. To temporarily upgrade a derelict stadium in the worst place for 1.5 billion for 2 weeks and then take the stands away is a joke.

But hey this is Queensland politics for you. What a joke.

The big question is what way does the media swing. If it's all being reported as "cheaper option" yes, but it sounds like plenty are going with the "shortsighted" or similar option - the media synopsis will play a big part, because if it's not being summed up as cheaper then that's not what people will think of.
Definitely, which ever way the media go on this will be the way it goes with the non sport following public.

FWIW I was listening to 4BH(I know I am a boomer who loves 60s/70s music) earlier and in their news bulletin they were playing up the cost "savings". :rolleyes::mad:

Definitely, which ever way the media go on this will be the way it goes with the non sport following public.

FWIW I was listening to 4BH(I know I am a boomer who loves 60s/70s music) earlier and in their news bulletin they were playing up the cost "savings". :rolleyes::mad:

The Courier Mail have doctored their Facebook poll to advantage QSAC too. This is all really odd.

the rugby league fix was always going to win out ..... the rumour mill on what went on will be in overdrive .... up to the media now

The comments on the courier mail online article are very negative about the proposal

Hopefully the below is indicative of the media narrative going forward.

IMG_0688.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comments on the courier mail online article are very negative about the proposal

Hopefully the below is indicative of the media narrative going forward.

View attachment 1932219
Their readers were negative about Vic Park too. Really the only thing that seems to unite them is the idea of scrapping the Olympics altogether.

I’m thinking miles will have the rugby league supporters on board ,with their facilities sharpened up.
Unless they rate cricket or to some degree afl,not very likely.

I wonder what cricket Australia has to say about all of this.

So who is going to push the vic park case??
Schriner wanted the forest no stadium ,so miles suits this narrative.
The only political party would be the state LNP to push the quirk recommendation for effectiveness and a true legacy for Brisbane being the Victoria park option.
Hopefully they push hard ,with schrinner on board as well.
Get into the true figures.
Surely cricket Australia and afl make a combined case here as well.

I’ll be very interested to see what mmm have to say about it tomorrow morning.
More bullish bronco beating from margo ?
Marto ,he could be smart enough to see through this bullshit and make a case
What we don’t want is more uninformed bronco bias clapping for an upgrade of Suncorp and of course all the money the state will be saving.

Last edited:
There's an election soon isn't there ?

So if the other mob gets in all this is irrelevant , they'll want to go with something else if only because that's what new Governments like to do.

There's an election soon isn't there ?

So if the other mob gets in all this is irrelevant , they'll want to go with something else if only because that's what new Governments like to do.

The narrative will be sowed that the Miles option is cheaper. I don't see what other options a brand new LNP government could go for without using up significant political capital by voluntarily re-raising the issue of spending on stadiums. They'd also have to rip away the Suncorp refurb.

I suppose it will be shuttle buses from Banoon train station to QSAC for all the International visitors flocking to Brisbane for the Aldi Olympics or they could park at Sunnybank Shopping Centre and walk down like we did when the Broncos played there... LOL!

It’s in October, the worry is that they put pen to paper and lock all this s**t in before then

Nah, doesn't matter Thomasno this is politics. In Victoria, we had the East West link underway, then the Andrews government got in power & scrapped it costing the taxpayers billions (edit: probably just millions lol). Then he went ahead and built the West East link.........

I suppose it will be shuttle buses from Banoon train station to QSAC for all the International visitors flocking to Brisbane for the Aldi Olympics or they could park at Sunnybank Shopping Centre and walk down like we did when the Broncos played there... LOL!

Coopers plains is closer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back