News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

This has gone from bad to worse!
At least Anastasia had vision to put Brisbane on the international map & with the 2b we receive for hosting we are getting good infrastructure improvements subsidized.
Miles doesn't know what he's doing, doesn't have a vision, doesn't seem to want to do anything & doesn't have any decisiveness at all.

When Paris put on a show in a few months and capitalize on the games showcasing their city & hosting a marvelous event broadcast to billions of homes around the world, the Miles Govt will all look like such fools. Vic canning the comm games is one thing, but the Olympics?! Not many places get to host those....many dream of such exposure & economic boost they provide.

Some rise to a challenge and some cower.....we now learned a lot about this Govt haven't we. Lets hope the opposition come out swinging to take this challenge on board & make something amazing of it!

NIMBYS played their consistent role but theres quite a few people who complained about the rebuild five months ago because of costs which led to the whole review in the first place. Not surprised this is the decision made by Miles because when he got into the job it was all a good majority spouted on about (not on here). Good number of people forgot about their cost concerns when the Vic Park was announced, probably because it was pushed hard by the papers (again, not on here). Now some are enraged by this decision when months ago they wanted nothing more than to destroy the prospect of a multibillion dollar stadium.

I would be happy with either new stadium plan, especially since it has basically been confirmed anyway that the Gabba won’t be lasting long past 2032 anyway. The poll is interesting though because it suggests that Miles’ decision hasn’t been as unpopular as rhetoric suggests. Still a stupid move in every conceivable way, but not unpopular.

NIMBYS played their consistent role but theres quite a few people who complained about the rebuild five months ago because of costs which led to the whole review in the first place. Not surprised this is the decision made by Miles because when he got into the job it was all a good majority spouted on about (not on here). Good number of people forgot about their cost concerns when the Vic Park was announced, probably because it was pushed hard by the papers (again, not on here). Now some are enraged by this decision when months ago they wanted nothing more than to destroy the prospect of a multibillion dollar stadium.

I would be happy with either new stadium plan, especially since it has basically been confirmed anyway that the Gabba won’t be lasting long past 2032 anyway. The poll is interesting though because it suggests that Miles’ decision hasn’t been as unpopular as rhetoric suggests. Still a stupid move in every conceivable way, but not unpopular.
It has been popular as many/ most don't understand the details. They don't understand that his plan will basically cost the same. They don't understand where the money comes from. They can't see the lack of legacy this plan leaves. All they hear is we are going to save money. They assume it means more will be spent on education, health and housing. But it won't. It's very frustrating and I'm sitting here tonight trying to get my head around it all. It's mind boggling.

The 9 poll was a farce. Do not give it any implication of credibility.

Looks like the Lions have weighed in.

Paywalled though. Anyone able to paste it?

‘We were hopeful’: Lions disappointed new stadium ruled out so fast

The major tenants of the Gabba have mixed views on the latest plan for the stadium, with the Brisbane Lions reiterating their home ground is “reaching its end of life”.

The independent review of 2032 Games venues, headed by former Brisbane lord mayor Graham Quirk, this week recommended the Gabba be demolished and a new oval stadium be built at Victoria Park.

The Brisbane Lions are disappointed the Queensland government ruled out a new home stadium so quickly.

But Premier Steven Miles rejected the Victoria Park plan, opting instead to upgrade the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre to host the athletics, while also spending money to keep the Gabba and Suncorp Stadium operating.

While the Gabba will not be rebuilt, as the government originally planned, it will be given a more modest upgrade, largely to bring it in line with modern building codes.

In response to the latest change in Games plans, the Lions expressed disappointment that the government had dismissed the Victoria Park option so quickly.

“We acknowledge the findings of the Quirk report but were hopeful that its recommendations, including a new precinct at Victoria Park, would be explored further,” the Lions said in a statement.

It said the review had come to the same conclusion as a 2018 analysis – that “the Gabba in its current form is reaching its end of life and requires significant funding to ensure it is fit for purpose”.
“We will continue to work with government to better understand what their capital investment strategy is for the venue and wider precinct moving forward,” the Lions said.

The AFL club’s response contrasted with that of Queensland Cricket, which appeared more relieved that the game would not have to be played elsewhere while the Gabba was demolished and rebuilt under the government’s previous plan.
In December, when it was suggested the RNA Showgrounds be upgraded and used as a temporary home for cricket and AFL, Queensland Bulls captain Usman Khawaja warned that cricket would “be broke in three, four years’ time” due to the loss of income from the Gabba and the need to contribute to the upgrade.

“Cricket Australia and Queensland Cricket welcome the findings of Graham Quirk and his panel’s review of Olympic venue infrastructure, and the state government’s subsequent commitment to refurbish the Gabba, as we eagerly look forward to cricket being played at the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games,” a cricket statement read.

“We also acknowledge that the premier’s commitment to invest in the Gabba ensures cricket is not displaced between now and the Games, allowing Brisbane Heat and international cricket matches to continue to be played in Brisbane.”
Athletics Australia and Queensland Athletics previously welcomed the announcement of the QSAC upgrade, saying it was better than “a temporary track dropped into a major football or cricket stadium and ripped up after the Games”.
In parliament on Tuesday, Miles challenged LNP leader David Crisafulli to take a stand on the Quirk review and the government’s plan for the Games.
“If you want this job, you better put your big boy pants on,” Miles said.

“Too weak to even take a position. So weak that he suggests outsourcing that decision to an independent authority.”

Crisafulli said the LNP never supported the Gabba rebuild and wanted to ensure community benefit.
“If [the] government changes in October, we will make sure that an independent infrastructure delivery authority delivers projects that are generational for this state,” he told parliament.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Athletics Australia and Queensland Athletics previously welcomed the announcement of the QSAC upgrade, saying it was better than “a temporary track dropped into a major football or cricket stadium and ripped up after the Games”.
In parliament on Tuesday, Miles challenged LNP leader David Crisafulli to take a stand on the Quirk review and the government’s plan for the Games.
If you want this job, you better put your big boy pants on,” Miles said.

“Too weak to even take a position. So weak that he suggests outsourcing that decision to an independent authority.”

I head the sound bite and Miles sounded like a 15 year old boy saying this. Out of his depth and really a childish thing to say.

Ironically from my past dealings with him (very brief), he is supporter of the Qld biotech industry and understands the long term benefits from this sector. Why he can't see this with the Olympics infrastructure is difficult to rationalise.

I head the sound bite and Miles sounded like a 15 year old boy saying this. Out of his depth and really a childish thing to say.

Ironically from my past dealings with him (very brief), he is supporter of the Qld biotech industry and understands the long term benefits from this sector. Why he can't see this with the Olympics infrastructure is difficult to rationalise.

What you’ve got to remember is that it’s not Miles making this decision. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have had a hand in it, but these decisions are made by the powers that be behind party doors, and would have been made by a party that knows they’re f*cked in the election, with this being a misguided attempt at trying to claw back some support.

What you’ve got to remember is that it’s not Miles making this decision. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have had a hand in it, but these decisions are made by the powers that be behind party doors, and would have been made by a party that knows they’re f*cked in the election, with this being a misguided attempt at trying to claw back some support.
Yeah it was made because they are so behind in the polls that they thought something drastic like this could win them back votes. From what I’ve seen, this has just sunk their support even lower and once they see newer polling they’ll potentially try to pivot again.

Did a bit of sounding out at work today, asking quite a few staff about the Olympics, explained the funding and different stadium proposals, etc. Specifically asked non AFL supporting staff.

Anyone here who thinks Miles decision is the final nail in the Labor parties coffin has maroon, blue and gold tinted glasses om. Most of the people I spoke to could care less which stadium holds it, as long as it's done for as cheap as possible, and more times than I liked, I was accused of an AFL bias when I tried pointing out that the Gabba has a shelf life and will need to be rebuilt some time in the near future anyway.

I'm not saying Labor are going to hold on to power in the up coming election, but for most people without a dog in the fight, it's non issue.

Fair chance the NIMBY's outnumber Lions and Cricket supporters.

As for that Channel 9 poll. It had less that 2500 votes total, when I voted just after 5pm.

Did a bit of sounding out at work today, asking quite a few staff about the Olympics, explained the funding and different stadium proposals, etc. Specifically asked non AFL supporting staff.

Anyone here who thinks Miles decision is the final nail in the Labor parties coffin has maroon, blue and gold tinted glasses om. Most of the people I spoke to could care less which stadium holds it, as long as it's done for as cheap as possible, and more times than I liked, I was accused of an AFL bias when I tried pointing out that the Gabba has a shelf life and will need to be rebuilt some time in the near future anyway.

I'm not saying Labor are going to hold on to power in the up coming election, but for most people without a dog in the fight, it's non issue.

Fair chance the NIMBY's outnumber Lions and Cricket supporters.

As for that Channel 9 poll. It had less that 2500 votes total, when I voted just after 5pm.

I asked a few people at my work what they thought about it too. These were people who would only attend the occasional rugby union game but no cricket or AFL. They weren't too fussed but everyone laughed at QSAC being the location of the athletics.

I wonder if the Labor Government thought that winning the olympic bid would have been something that they could hang their hat on to show how good they are for the people to keep them in Government.

I asked a few people at my work what they thought about it too. These were people who would only attend the occasional rugby union game but no cricket or AFL. They weren't too fussed but everyone laughed at QSAC being the location of the athletics.

I wonder if the Labor Government thought that winning the olympic bid would have been something that they could hang their hat on to show how good they are for the people to keep them in Government.
Yeah my discussions at work were very different to Briztoon’s.

The key is to dispel a few things regarding the money side of it.

1. It’s nowhere near as cheap as what Miles has presented. The 1.6b is spin.

2. Cheaper doesn’t necessarily mean more economically responsible.

The Vic Park Proposal leaves a lasting positive social legacy and a source of revenue generation.

The Miles proposal throws a shitload of money at improving a universally derided venue only for much of the improvements to be dismantled right after the event, and also consigns the Gabba to being an ongoing financial black hole for decades.

This is how I framed it in my (Rugby League dominated) staffroom and my well-known love for the Lions didn’t enter into it.

Last edited:
The lions and crickets response in particular was pathetic. Especially after the traction they got last time that the government pulled the rug out from under them.

Anyhow, a few weeks back I was reading Vlandy's has chosen his successor Kate Jones to chair the NRL commission after him, he basically is in love with her. So I knew her being an ex labor state politician, along with Beattie popping in with his biased comments in the media that 100 percent the NRL were influencing in the background on this. Then I just saw this article tonight. That's Kate with her good mate miles in the photo.

20240319_230226.jpg

Aside from the total BS of the last 2 days I cannot fathom how poorly the whole Olympics thing has been handled.

Have we really lost our way as a species that there is no longer anything left to get excited about? To be happy about?

This was a huge opportunity to sell Brisbane to the world. To continue to build Brisbane into a modern city that we can all be proud of. To progress the lifestyle we have here, showcase the work that has gone into making Brisbane a dynamic place to be instead of a sleepy backwater - the river front, Southbank, Queens Wharf, Eagle St...

Add a new entertainment precinct, stadium, swimming complex, with modern affordable housing and it's a no brainer.

Where has our aspiration gone? Our pride? How have we become so inward looking and fearful?

There are always reasons not to do things.

Leadership is to have vision. To have courage. To bring people along with you on the journey forward. To overcome the challenges.

Creating pride and passion about our capital city should be something we want to do... not cower away from. The shortsightedness, the influence of vested interests and the inability to resist them, the lack of passion and vision is devastating.

It simply reinforces the horrendous vacuum of leadership, of courage and of foresight that haunts politics everywhere.

Queensland has once again become the laughing stock of Australia. And most likely the world come 2032.

Schrinner has come out and said he would have backed Victoria Park Stadium, IF it could be done for under $3.4B

From The Courier Mail:
Brisbane Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner says he would have personally backed building a brand-new stadium at the council-owned Victoria Park – but only if it could have been built for less than $3.4bn.

Mr Schrinner said while a 55,000 seat stadium was “not part of my plan to transform Victoria Park into an iconic parkland”, he personally would have accepted the proposal had it fulfilled three key elements.

These included keeping the stadium footprint to a minimum, no net loss of parkland, and the stadium delivering a cheaper option than knocking down and rebuilding the Gabba.

“Graham Quirk told me that the stadium was estimated to take up little more than 10 per cent of the massive 64-hectare park, so the first two conditions were certainly achievable,” he said.
“However, at $3.4bn, unfortunately, meeting the third condition was unlikely.

Considering the stadium itself was just under $2B according to Quirk, there surely would be a way to do it cheaper than $3.4B. We desperately need proper costing for Vic Park to be done

It said the review had come to the same conclusion as a 2018 analysis – that “the Gabba in its current form is reaching its end of life and requires significant funding to ensure it is fit for purpose”.

“Cricket Australia and Queensland Cricket welcome the findings of Graham Quirk and his panel’s review of Olympic venue infrastructure, and the state government’s subsequent commitment to refurbish the Gabba, as we eagerly look forward to cricket being played at the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games,” a cricket statement read.

“We also acknowledge that the premier’s commitment to invest in the Gabba ensures cricket is not displaced between now and the Games, allowing Brisbane Heat and international cricket matches to continue to be played in Brisbane.”
Moronic statements from CA and QC, there will be no International cricket at the Gabba as Brisbane will have the worst major oval stadium in Australia, particularly with a new Hobart Stadium coming before the Olympics. We may not even have an oval stadium at all.

The Billion dollars on the Gabba is an admitted patch up job and will not extend the life of the Gabba very far into the future, not long past 2032 the Gabba will have to be demolished anyway, 2 independent reports have made it perfectly clear that the structural skeleton of the Gabba is stuffed long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back