News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

April 17

Will be interesting viewing

Lot can happen in a month though

Hopefully the Federal government suspend their 3b funding promise until the inquiry has happened. The IOC too perhaps.

Hard for Miles to rush ahead on contracts without being able to guarantee funding.

Last edited:
I wonder what Sarah Kelly OAM thinks being a board member of the Lions and the Brisbane Organizing committee?

What would be the benefit of Miles trying to rush this through? Is he hoping to be hated forever, or just the next few months?

Can you imagine if he pulled that off and the Olympics are an embarrassment. Public enemy number one.

'Welcome back to the most underwhelming Olympics in recent history, and Joanna who are we blaming for that?'
'Oh yes Shirvo, that would be Steven Miles, that premier Queensland had for a little bit that managed to stuff this opportunity for everyone.'
'Thats right Joanna and there is a picture of him on your screens now, we can feel the boos from here viewers.'

What would be the benefit of Miles trying to rush this through? Is he hoping to be hated forever, or just the next few months?

Can you imagine if he pulled that off and the Olympics are an embarrassment. Public enemy number one.

'Welcome back to the most underwhelming Olympics in recent history, and Joanna who are we blaming for that?'
'Oh yes Shirvo, that would be Steven Miles, that premier Queensland had for a little bit that managed to stuff this opportunity for everyone.'
'Thats right Joanna and there is a picture of him on your screens now, we can feel the boos from here viewers.'

I think if you push it far enough down the track to the point it’s not reversible it ceases to be a live issue or certainly minimises

Can anyone provide a list of email addresses, of both sides of politics, so we can tell them of how this will affect voting intentions?

whoever backs Vic Park has my vote.
I just googled them. Pretty easy if you google the state website for each party.

There’s action groups against the Victoria park proposals.

You would have to get a huge social media campaign going to genuinely influence either party, and appealing to Lions supporters isn’t going to be enough.

So that's it then, I guess, maybe, who knows ...

‘There can’t be new stadiums’: Crisafulli rejects review’s Victoria Park call​

Brisbane Times​

Queensland LNP leader David Crisafulli has joined Premier Steven Miles in ruling out a new stadium at Victoria Park, as recommended by former Lord Mayor Graham Quirk’s review of 2032 Games venues this week.
But Crisafulli has sought to differentiate his position from the Labor government, criticising Miles’ decision to choose an upgraded Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre as the main arena not suggested by Quirk.
Speaking to reporters at parliament, Crisafulli has outlined some more detail on what he is proposing to do differently, saying he would establish a new independent delivery authority if elected in October which would report back within 100 days.
The group, Crisafulli said, would likely replace the government’s own version to be established by midyear, be named before the election, and given terms of reference to deliver planning options with a focus on road and rail legacies, use existing venues and keep within the current funding levels.
“There can’t be new stadiums, because that’s not what Queenslanders signed up to,” he said.
“For 1000 days, the Labor government has torched the games. I’m asking Queenslanders for 100 days to fix this mess.”

Brisbane Times​

Queensland LNP leader David Crisafulli has joined Premier Steven Miles in ruling out a new stadium at Victoria Park, as recommended by former Lord Mayor Graham Quirk’s review of 2032 Games venues this week.
But Crisafulli has sought to differentiate his position from the Labor government, criticising Miles’ decision to choose an upgraded Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre as the main arena not suggested by Quirk.
Speaking to reporters at parliament, Crisafulli has outlined some more detail on what he is proposing to do differently, saying he would establish a new independent delivery authority if elected in October which would report back within 100 days.
The group, Crisafulli said, would likely replace the government’s own version to be established by midyear, be named before the election, and given terms of reference to deliver planning options with a focus on road and rail legacies, use existing venues and keep within the current funding levels.
“There can’t be new stadiums, because that’s not what Queenslanders signed up to,” he said.
“For 1000 days, the Labor government has torched the games. I’m asking Queenslanders for 100 days to fix this mess.”

So he has no plan either. Great.

Brisbane Times​

I think that’s good and bad news.

Bad news he is wiping his hands of the issue pre election because there is no winning position.

Good in the sense that if the authority will likely provide a better recommendation than what we currently have. The ToR make it harder for Vic park but you never know. Then I suspect he will just go with whatever they say.

Brisbane Times​

Stupid really, if there is a bloodbath in October his party may very well be right in the middle of a shitstorm in the next few years as the Gabba slowly rots away.

Couldn't they build a stadium at Victoria Park and raise money by allowing a housing development at the Gabba?

What about on a golf course?
Do you need both St Lucia and Indooroopilly golf courses.

Can someone explain why building a new stadium seems like such a bad idea to these guys?

If we keep building new stadiums soon the city will just be stadiums.

In all seriousness, has nothing to do with the practicality of building a new stadium. It is a negative for vote getting.

I think that’s good and bad news.

Bad news he is wiping his hands of the issue pre election because there is no winning position.

Good in the sense that if the authority will likely provide a better recommendation than what we currently have. The ToR make it harder for Vic park but you never know. Then I suspect he will just go with whatever they say.
I dunno. He specifically says they will be focusing on using existing venues. I think that just about kills Vic park and possibly even puts the GABBA refurb back on the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well politically this could be very smart and sneaky, before the election say no new stadiums. Then get his "independent" authority 100 days after being elected to report the only viable option is a new stadium and then backflip saying the "independent" experts know best while knowing that you won't go to the polls for another 3 years and 265 days which by that time it would be well forgotten

Couldn't they build a stadium at Victoria Park and raise money by allowing a housing development at the Gabba?

What about on a golf course?
Do you need both St Lucia and Indooroopilly golf courses.

Indro is a private club. St Lucia serves a purpose but is a dogshit course. So yeah. Relocate.

Can someone explain why building a new stadium seems like such a bad idea to these guys?
Their reasoning is the general non sport following public do not want money spent/"wasted" on a new Stadium so it is all about votes.

The public say we should spend it on Education, Health and affordable Housing instead, which is a flawed thought pattern IMO, the Olympic funding money is only there for the Olympics, Olympics go away so does the money.

And does anyone really think that if we end up going with the Ikea Olympics that all the "savings" :rolleyes: will suddenly lead to a noticeable improvement in Health and Education outcomes.

Geez Liesel has been in a good paddock
Not appropriate

Brisbane Times​

Visionless disappointment

Their reasoning is the general non sport following public do not want money spent/"wasted" on a new Stadium so it is all about votes.

The public say we should spend it on Education, Health and affordable Housing instead, which is a flawed thought pattern IMO, the Olympic funding money is only there for the Olympics, Olympics go away so does the money.

And does anyone really think that if we end up going with the Ikea Olympics that all the "savings" :rolleyes: will suddenly lead to a noticeable improvement in Health and Education outcomes.
The kicker is they won't even be cheaper, just worse.

Brisbane Times​

Hey, if he wants to bring back trams as part of the legacy I’m all for it but to say Labor has butched the games when the previous Gabba rebuild proposal for years was ten times better than no new stadium we have now is silly.

Also important to note that Vic Park and the Gabba rebuild options were already found to be within the current $7b funding levels for the whole games. The whole statement tries to give off the vibe of opposing the decision while actually really doing nothing different.

What even is the other option from QCAS with no new stadium? Refurbish the Gabba or hold athletics at Carrara? Both terrible options and both end up with a new oval stadium anyway. Seems like the two majors and the Greens all think it’s a problem for future governments now. Or are at least posturing that way to get votes.

Well politically this could be very smart and sneaky, before the election say no new stadiums. Then get his "independent" authority 100 days after being elected to report the only viable option is a new stadium and then backflip saying the "independent" experts know best while knowing that you won't go to the polls for another 3 years and 265 days which by that time it would be well forgotten

He could maybe also, I don’t know, lean on the fact that the IOC are giving us $3bn AUD, which nobody has mentioned yet in any of this bullshit.

Crisafuli’s logic is a little odd but is clearly political spin. Yes a new stadium wasn’t explicitly part of the original proposal (although you could argue the Gabba 2.0 was going to be a new stadium anyway).

In any case, the landscape has shifted so much that I think most Queenslanders care much less about “what was originally promised” and care more about “what is the best option”.

I think the Courier Mail poll shows that pretty clearly. The high level of support for Vic Park over the Gabba rebuild or QSAC seems to indicate that most people care little about original promises (whether that was the promise of the Gabba as the main stadium or the promise that the Olympics would be delivered using existing infrastructure).

Seems like Crisafuli is having a bit each way. Keeping the Vic Park and Gabba NIMBYs on side up until the election, but then also giving himself the political cover to backflip after the election based on advice from the “independent delivery authority”.

If I’m wrong, we’ll know pretty quickly based on the terms of reference for the independent review. If the terms explicitly limit it to using existing infrastructure, then I’m wrong. If the terms don’t preclude new stadiums, then a new stadium remains in play once the LNP takes office.

Last edited:
Crisafuli’s logic is a little odd but clearly political spin. Yes a new stadium wasn’t explicitly part of the original proposal (although you could argue the Gabba 2.0 was going to be a new stadium anyway).

In any case, the landscape has shifted so much that I think most Queenslanders care much less about “what was originally promised” and care more about “what is the best option”.

I think the Courier Mail poll shows that pretty clearly. The high level of support for Vic Park over the Gabba rebuild or QSAC seems to indicate that most people care little about original promises (whether that was the promise of the Gabba as the main stadium or the promise that the Olympics would be delivered using existing infrastructure).

Seems like Crisafuli is having a bit each way. Keeping the Vic Park and Gabba NIMBYs on side up until the election, but then also giving himself the political cover to backflip after the election based on advice from the “independent delivery authority”.

My gut feel is that the new LNP government delivers a new stadium.

My view as well. Once he wins, ToR for the authority will be broadened and they’ll likely present vic park and the Gabba and we will get a new stadium that’ll have legacy and be a decent investment.

Labour has just done a horrific job of messaging the Olympics. LNP will do better with the Murdoch media dick riding for them.

What if the 3rd :rolleyes: Government sanctioned enquiry comes back with a recommendation that the Gabba is beyond redemption and Brisbane needs a new Oval Stadium?

Does that one get rejected as well? FMD:mad:, give me strength.
I think we will be nearly running out of time for a full re-build of the Gabba.
Especially after an election and review again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back