Rumour Gaff to go home?

Remove this Banner Ad

This fox sports video link says both Darling and Gaff are close to signing soon.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gaf...o-e6frf33l-1226126840826?subcat=1225916318050

So when it says that he'll sign an extension but then they will offer a new contract over summer, I presume the extension is simply a timeframe extension of the current contract? Whereas the new contract will include the bigger dollars and variation in terms? Or is the media just using the terms interchangably in this case and the Eagles aren't offering 2 contracts?

Fivey, that's a question for you. :D

So when it says that he'll sign an extension but then they will offer a new contract over summer, I presume the extension is simply a timeframe extension of the current contract? Whereas the new contract will include the bigger dollars and variation in terms? Or is the media just using the terms interchangably in this case and the Eagles aren't offering 2 contracts?

Fivey, that's a question for you. :D
think thats about the intial basic first contract is a miniumum 2 years but also has an extension clause of 1 year. with the new money on offer to all players contracts can now be upgraded $$$$$$$

Totally disagree. And we would be trading an outside mid (Gaff) for an inside mid (Wellingham). I don't think anyone thinks inside mids is what we need...

No No No Gaff is going nowhere.
Not for 10 Wellinghams.
Not for any body.
He wants to stay and play footy for wce SO STOP TRYING TO GET RID OF HIM.

Gaff is a genius footballer and will be AA squad next year minimum, if not injured.

Gaff can stuff up the oppositions heads in third and 4th quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wellingham would be a decent complementary player IMO. We should not target him, if he's desperate to come home, we could have a look at him.

Right now the only thing between us and a premiership is a combination of a classy mid and experience to our young guns (Sheppard, Gaff, Shuey, Darling). It could be next year or it could be the year after. IMO, Wellingham would do nothing to accelerate that, even if it makes us a slightly better team in the short term.

Gaff is a genius footballer and will be AA squad next year minimum, if not injured.

I would have called this post ridiculous if I hadn't seen 2nd year players like Fyfe and Martin play the way they have - it is possible, also GE's track record probably indicates that sometimes we better STFU and listen to him :p.

Bit early for mine. Think he'll be a gun but next year might cop a bit more attention and won't dominate until he's really more developed.

Wow what a scoop from gossage, has been a thread about it on BF for months. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If our form and potential flag cant turn this kids head then I don't want him TBH.

If he wants out we must sell him when we have the power i.e. 1 year on his contract left.

The last think we want is another Judd situation.

To be honest there's been more evidence of him staying here than there has been for him leaving. People always pick up negatives and run with them.

Exactly.

Gaff playing a role in Kennedy's video doesn't look like someone who's not making mates and having a good time. Shows he's getting involved and having a bit of fun.

Sure its a tough gig as an 18 yr old moving away from home and becoming a well publicised and followed footballer in Perth. Running around in big games in front of 40 > 50,000 screaming fans and being chased by grown men who want to snap you in half if you let them.:eek:

But from reports pre draft the kid has a decent head on his shoulders and a great work ethic. He's lucky he's landed at a strong club about to embark on hopefully sustained finals appearences.

With the CBA not yet finalised why would a mid range paid player extend your contract, chances are you will get a better deal once its been sorted.

Historically we have only had one good player ask to go home, the others like Staker were no great loss. Even Victorians like Braun and Wirpanda stay here after their careers are finished so I think statistically we should be able to keep Gaff.

How ever, things do change and it appears we are picking more non-West Australians so its possible the revolving door may be swinging more frequently and we have to be ready I guess to cut deals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back