Game of Sloane (THE OFFICIAL HE IS STAYING thread) Thread now closed

Do you think Sloane will stay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll make sure I pack a warm jacket then.
I can't even get my head slightly around this possibility..
On top of all the others. If it happens.
I don't know how the guys who stick around can not feel terribly let down and a feeling of where to.
You can cop some going but how can a club keep swimming against this.
And the Vics ever think they've got it tough...

Clear em out
Get good deals for them and rebuild
We blew the chance of a lifetime with them anyway
Time for the line in the sand
Too many vics in our team anyway that's our problem

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

Clear em out

Wow.

Clear em out

If only we had decent SA talent to draft but it's easily proven we would be bottom if we relied on SA talent only.

Nowhere near plenty.

Next year theres a few at the top end (rare for us) but of course we will get 1 of them absolute max.

This is correct, in the era of highly paid professional sportsmen is no longer possible to bat over our average in terms of the talent pool. Vic has thousands of players vying to play state juniors, whilst here it's hundreds.

More to my point was that the usual culprits that we have questioned their passion and commitment are vics
We know who they are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't matter where you look right now, it's just going to be depressing, pictures of punt road, these forums are just sombre spots with even more bad news it seems..

Had we won yesterday then news like this could be tolerable but now it's just out your head into your hands stuff..

If only we had decent SA talent to draft but it's easily proven we would be bottom if we relied on SA talent only.
I'm not advocating this strategy by the way, but surely the past two grand finals amply demonstrate that talent is not the greatest determinant of results.

Strategy and fitness levels have evolved to such a degree that what formerly would be considered largely a bunch of honest triers (with apologies to their top six) can now take a game plan based fundamentally on manic pressure and dismantle 'nice' football players and sides.

If SA players would be more committed and more likely to stay then it can't be dismissed out of hand anymore.

Only 12% of currently-listed AFL players are from SA. If we preferenced SA talent we would be s**t.

The question then becomes, out of those 12% of players, who are the cream of the crop and were we in a position to draft for them?

If we were, then how does that talent slip under our very noses. The next question is, which SA kids did we draft and how did they turn out.

Are we doing anything different to when we draft Vic kids, or WA kids?

If Sloane is going to leave there is nothing we can do. You cant begrudge someone making a decision on whats best for themselves and their family.

I would just say straight upto him, sign on for 3, if you want to leave, we are ok with it, just let us extract SOS value for you, because you are actually worth SOS value.

How about we don't be like the media and take very vague rumours as fact. Why get worried about what Sloane will do when nothing has come out? Where's the proof he may be leaving? We might as well fear everyone will leave. Infact I heard from a good source that Eddie wants to return to Carlton and Talia back to Melbourne. See, you can say anything.

We came second, better than anything we've done since 1998 and lots of people here are going on like we finished last.

Only 12% of currently-listed AFL players are from SA. If we preferenced SA talent we would be s**t.

We can't rely on SA talent only, but I think there's a happy medium and at present we've got too many Victorian players and are now hard up trying to keep our side together. These players would eat into the salary cap far more than SA players. There's just too many Victorian options to pry them away.

Its time for clubs to take back some of the power. The AFLPA, the players and the introduction of FA have created a system that is too in favour of the players.

For every action there needs to be an equal but opposite action to create balance. ATM, the power is out of balance.

Clubs are here to compete for premierships not just provide an easy life of huge returns for kids that can run and kick a ball. They must have the power to drive their own destiny too.

If the situation with Sloane is correct, and he wont extend his contract beyond the remaining one year, then the club should take action while he is at his peak value. This should apply to all players entering their last year of contract. No exceptions.

Before anyone gets all out of shape over it, I know a player has to agree to a trade, and I'm not suggesting we can trade them against their will. The club needs to consider the player in this situation as a likely loss if we allow the contract to expire though. They need to identify a potential suitor that provides the club the best compensation and offers the player what is perceived to be their wish at the conclusion of their contract.

Using Sloane as the example. If it is correct that he has refused to extend his contract, and it is believed that his personal situation will have him seeking a trade to a Victorian club at the end of 2018, then the club should be offering him as a potential trade to all Victorian clubs this trade period. No doubt we would be flooded with offers, and I'm pretty sure all of them would be in excess of what we will get when he's out of contract. The club then presents Sloane with his options. If he is committed to our cause, he signs an extension. If he's not, then he has options presented that get him where he wants to be a year early and the club is properly compensated. Frankly I cant see any player being put in this position and choosing to see out their last year and walk away, 'Lever style'. I think its likely that more players will choose to be traded than re-sign, but they were likely going to ask for a trade a year later anyway. That's the way its going these days. No loyalty to clubs or team mates, just $$ and self interest.

Time for the club to put theirs and our self interest first too.

We have some of the strictest player movement rules in the world. The premier league clubs seem to be ok with it.

"With six months or less remaining on an existing contract for players aged 23 or older, they are free to negotiate with other clubs and sign a pre-contract agreement, indicating their ability to move to their intended club on a Bosman transfer when the next transfer window opens."

they have no say in it. it's down to a European Court ruling, that affects all clubs in Europe and not a premier league decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back