10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Ordinary affair, really.

Did what they had to do. Nothing much to come from it.

Rawlings - Is a tagger, not a midfielder. Couldn't kick 5 years ago, still can't. Absolutely pointless removing him from what he does best.

Harris - Covered more ground today than he did three games at a time last year. Really was excellent.

Petrie - Looked good.

Gibson - Impressed.

Le Cras - Still don't think he is up to it, but did well enough.

Schwarze - See above.

Hamish - Excellent kicking depth in general play. Ruckwork was average. Was passable.

Simmo - Disinterested.

Spud - Ok.

Wells - Looked bored with the whole thing.

Nothing game. Hope to see Smith, Trotter and Jones in the side next week. Absolutely pointless risking Archer, Sav and others.

I thought Wells oozed class on the rare occasions he go it. Fair to say he looked bored, but at the same time he did what he had to do.

I liked the look of Lower, who got his hands on it a bit and generally did pretty well. I agree with yoyur assessment on Harro being very good and Brady still not knowing how to execute a drop punt.

And whether he's 5 metres out form the defensive goal, or 50m, #36 still doesn't have a clue how to man up. I thought Hay was pretty good at FB though, and I can clearly see why we traded for him.

Loved when everyone was fumbling then Wellsy swooped on the ball and switched the play.

Pure genius.

Yep, waste of a practice game with the team Sydney fielded.

Wells showed no interest at all, thats for sure. But that in itself worries me.

If the Rocca/Thompson dual forward thing doesnt work this year, I can see LeCras playing a lot of footy. He was good.

Gibson has a little bit of something.

Doesn't bother me one bit. If he does it round 1 V Port we'll have cause for concern, but at this stage, he is not well served doing much at all.

If the Rocca/Thompson dual forward thing doesnt work this year, I can see LeCras playing a lot of footy. He was good.

IMO, we played our most potent footy with Sav at Port Melbourne in 2005.

I don't see Le Cras coping with really hit AFL footy.

Average game. I agree that when Hamish gets it he has some great penetration with his kick. Big man.

Wellsy was OK. The man has peripheral vision coming out of his arse. i have always loved that "last minute side ways, pinpoint chip kick to spot a guy no-one else saw but the people sitting in the medallion club" kick, and he did it a couple of times today at manuka.

Gibson seemed really good in the first half, but dropped of a little in the second. OK against average opposition ( as he was in the intra), jury is still how. By no means am I sure he will make.

Thought Hay was good well he was on. Big, big man.

Loved Harro's game, and Corey Jones was everywhere in the first half.

Swallow didn't do anything. Eddie was lively without making much impact.

I didn't mind Pratt's game.

I wish more young guys had done more but hey, we won...looking forward to seeing Smith next week.

Oh and I liked Sanburys attitude and aggression today, he looks better up forward.

Agree with this - LeCras certainly showed something and Gibson was good other than a crude challenge which was fortunate not to be punished with a goal.

speedy said:
Yep, waste of a practice game with the team Sydney fielded.

Gibson has a little bit of something.

A few positives

No injuries (unless someone went down during the 4th Q when I ducked out for a while)
Hale & Wells have bulked up
Gibson's form (not convinced he's AFL quality, but he's at least putting pressure on our other 15 HBF's to earn their spot)
Harro looks fit
Lower seems to know how to find the footy (a few games in the NAB should see him pick up the pace with decision making)
Hay looked a class above anyone we've had at FB since 1999 - plus Watt looked better (altough not great) and more useful as 3rd tall providing some run out of defence
The goatee makes Brady's nose appear to be smaller

Negatives

Too big of a gap between our best and second string quartet of midfielders
A few too many 'senior' blokes going thru the motions (Brown, Spud etc)
Crap opposition (I thought anything less than a 10 goal win would be a sub-par performance)
The fringe & 2nd tier players from last year didn't show much improvement
Leroy's white boots

Lidge said:
A few positives

No injuries (unless someone went down during the 4th Q when I ducked out for a while)
Hale & Wells have bulked up
Gibson's form (not convinced he's AFL quality, but he's at least putting pressure on our other 15 HBF's to earn their spot)
Harro looks fit
Lower seems to know how to find the footy (a few games in the NAB should see him pick up the pace with decision making)
Hay looked a class above anyone we've had at FB since 1999 - plus Watt looked better (altough not great) and more useful as 3rd tall providing some run out of defence
The goatee makes Brady's nose appear to be smaller

Negatives

Too big of a gap between our best and second string quartet of midfielders
A few too many 'senior' blokes going thru the motions (Brown, Spud etc)
Crap opposition (I thought anything less than a 10 goal win would be a sub-par performance)
The fringe & 2nd tier players from last year didn't show much improvement
Leroy's white boots
You were excited about Lower?

To me he seemed very slow with his decisions and speed too. Everytime he got the ball he either fubmled or made the wrong decision. Hopefully he improves.

Can't say Lower impressed me either. By all reports, today was a reward for his work ethic and general attitude so far, so good on him.

Wouldn't imagine he would play this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NorthBhoy said:
Rawlings - Played almost as a quarterback in defence setting up plays did excellent:thumbsu:

Harris - Covered more ground today than he did three games at a time last year. Really was excellent.

Petrie - I am a fan of his, but today he didn't play well enough to show he desrves a spot in a team full of competing back man.

Gibson - was excellent very impressed. Adds to the teams defence and love the flamboyant afro cut he bears.:thumbsu:

Le Cras - was good. I could see him playing in the forward line on a regular basis.

Schwarze - was suprisngly good.

Hamish - poor effort i feel, altough it is only his second (?) senior game.

Simmo - Disinterested.

Spud - Ok.

Swallow- did not notice him unfortunatly did not do anything outstanding of note

I've edited your post to show my opinion of how I felt some pf the players played today.:)

Positives:

Gibson's intensity - he played Sinclair's role and considering he was playing his FIRST game and needed to adjust to the speed of it did very well.

Petrie - nothing overly special, but the signs are there. He seems on the way back.

Hay - we must pray for him to play every game this year.

Backline overall - Hay, Brown and Watt are a handy KPs in that order.

Harris - the indurance work he reportedly did is paying off.

Negatives - Since our great era has ended IMO we developed a bug of doing just enough in games. The killer instinct is gone. I don't care if it's NAB cup or whatever. Good teams put rubbish opposition away. If nothing else drives you in games like this, competition for spots should.
As Jade Rawlings mentioned at half time, some players have been told they would play next week regardless. Today was a big chance for some blokes to stake a claim and many didn't do it.

Firrito played like he is in the same league as Simpson and co and doesn't need to earn his spot any longer.

McIntosh played like he is assured of 22 games regardless. Didn't make the second ruck spot his at all.

The only young blokes with intensity were Gibson and Pratt.

vlad76 said:
Negatives - Since our great era has ended IMO we developed a bug of doing just enough in games. The killer instinct is gone. I don't care if it's NAB cup or whatever. Good teams put rubbish opposition away. If nothing else drives you in games like this, competition of spots should.

Absolutely, positively, spot on the mark. Regardless of what's at stake, it's big wins that get supporters excited and wanting to come to the footy.

Too often we've found ourselves four goals up early in a game and that has been the eventual margin. You can't smash teams every week, but a few big wins does wonders for the enthusiasm shown by the fans.

I might cop a bagging here, but I reckon we have close to the most apathetic supporters in the comp, and part of the reasoning can be found in that above point. In short, give us something to get excited about boys!!

vlad76 said:
Positives:

Gibson's intensity - he played Sinclair's role and considering he was playing his FIRST game and needed to adjust to the speed of it did very well.

Petrie - nothing overly special, but the signs are there. He seems on the way back.

Hay - we must pray for him to play every game this year.

Backline overall - Hay, Brown and Watt are a handy KPs in that order.

Harris - the indurance work he reportedly did is paying off.

Negatives - Since our great era has ended IMO we developed a bug of doing just enough in games. The killer instinct is gone. I don't care if it's NAB cup or whatever. Good teams put rubbish opposition away. If nothing else drives you in games like this, competition of spots should.
As Jade Rawlings mentioned at half time, some players have been told they would play next week regardless. Today was a big chance for some blokes to stake a claim and many didn't do it.

Firrito played like he is in the same league as Simpson and co and doesn't need to earn his spot any longer.

McIntosh played like he is assured of 22 games regardless. Didn't make the second ruck spot his at all.

The only young blokes with intensity were Gibson and Pratt.

You are completly right vlad76 and this infuriated me today, just as much as yesteryear.

But I ask you did many teams play better or mare exciting then us so far.

I must say the Ess V Bris match was BORING as well as thw Hawks V Rich match. the Dees v Bulldogs was mildly entertaing but overall the whole Nab cup so far has been boring.

Thats the way the Nab cup is boring.

Not many teams have scored high and played spectuclar and as of yet I haven't seen any player produce a super game. It's just the way it is and I am not surprised that Nortn did not go out and play superb with all players producing a pearl of a game.

Um, what exactly was everyone expecting?

Do enough to win, no injuries, backline looked cohesive.

Windsock, should I drag up a few threads after losses last year? Blokes were getting slated left and right. There was many a jihad announced on midfield, death threats and psychotic comments all over the shop.

I reckon North fans turn as quickly as any. Except Richmond of course, but they are not human.

NorthBhoy said:
Um, what exactly was everyone expecting?

Do enough to win, no injuries, backline looked cohesive.

Windsock, should I drag up a few threads after losses last year? Blokes were getting slated left and right. There was many a jihad announced on midfield, death threats and psychotic comments all over the shop.

I reckon North fans turn as quickly as any. Except Richmond of course, but they are not human.

Fair points about today's game. But really, given the squad we had in relation to our best team, and the comparative unit Sydney had in, we should have belted that mob today. of today's side, there were probably 10 blokes that are guaranteed a game from week to week, so the rest should have been champing at the bit.

But on my original point, the atmosphere at some of our games is what I would describe as 'reserved'. It's a credit to us that we don't exhibit the behaviour of the Richmond 'fans' but by the same token, we don't really get a bandwagon rolling if we string a few wins on end either. The last time I can remember that sort of excitement was in 1993 after we started the year on fire: why weren't we like that at the start of last year?

I reckon we are generally a polite bunch. yes, it gets willing in here after a loss, but I don't reckon this is reflected on match days.

Oh and by the way, Kingsley has just kicked his ninth. ******** me! Don't you feel for Denis!

Fair points about today's game. But really, given the squad we had in relation to our best team, and the comparative unit Sydney had in, we should have belted that mob today. of today's side, there were probably 10 blokes that are guaranteed a game from week to week, so the rest should have been champing at the bit

We probably should have, and there was a massive difference in the sides on paper, but I will forgive the lack of polish in allowing a smashing. For the moment.

The atmosphere at some of our games is what I would describe as 'reserved'. It's a credit to us that we don't exhibit the behaviour of the Richmond 'fans' but by the same token, we don't really get a bandwagon rolling if we string a few wins on end either.

I agree that it is reserved. I think this is simple uncertainty re the future of the side. Are we any good? Will we be any good?

The last time I can remember that sort of excitement was in 1993 after we started the year on fire: why weren't we like that at the start of last year?

Personally, I wasn't because I didn't think we were anything but a half decent footy side.

I reckon we are generally a polite bunch. yes, it gets willing in here after a loss, but I don't reckon this is reflected on match days.

In comparison to you, this is possibly correct.......

Oh and by the way, Kingsley has just kicked his ninth. ******** me! Don't you feel for Denis

Ha!! Kent frickin Kingsley. Weird footballer.

There is no way they won't finish bottom 2 again. How does he manage to justify his 800k a year to the board? He should give up coaching and run seminars on how to stooge employers.

NorthBhoy said:
In comparison to you, this is possibly correct........

Once again, a fair point. I was even yelling out abuse to Makepeace at the intra-club!!

NorthBhoy said:
Ha!! Kent frickin Kingsley. Weird footballer.

There is no way they won't finish bottom 2 again. How does he manage to justify his 800k a year to the board? He should give up coaching and run seminars on how to stooge employers.

Some people pray for world peace, others pray for a sick loved one to be cured. I'm not sure what Curly says in his prayers every night, but he should definitley get down on his knees and thank God that a certain W Carey fell in his lap all those years ago. He's made a lot of people look better than they actually are has our Wayne.

Once again, a fair point. I was even yelling out abuse to Makepeace at the intra-club!!

You're unwell. Of that there is little doubt.

Some people pray for world peace, others pray for a sick loved one to be cured. I'm not sure what Curly says in his prayers every night, but he should definitley get down on his knees and thank God that a certain W Carey fell in his lap all those years ago. He's made a lot of people look better than they actually are has our Wayne

He did some good things early. Straightened a few out, made a few half decent calls. He had a group that responded to him being a pr1ck. Ordinary on the finer points on match-day or game plan.

Seriously, 'Kick it to Wayne' isn't exactly a stroke of genius is it? Same goes for the 'paddock'. What can I do to get Wayne more space?

Tell everyone else to ******** off!! Extraordinary!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back