Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Lastnight I was almost ready for bed and wanted to play something but I didn't want to commit to anything too time consuming or investing. So I went to my pick up and play go to, Rocket League. Having not played it for a while I was flying all over the place and I came to the realisation that I am terrible at it. I've always known I'm pretty bad, the rankings tell you this, but for the sheer amount of hours I have put in I have not got any better and I don't think I ever will. I have fun though and that's all that matters.

I also play many RPG's. But I never spend insane amount of times researching so my builds are probably not 100% right and I don't know enemies weaknesses or attack patterns I just run in and try to kill s**t. So most would consider me pretty crap at these too. Again, don't care, I have fun. Specific examples of this for me would probably be ESO, Diablo and now Phantasy Star Online 2

Age of Empires 2. Holy crap have I played that game to bits in it's different variations over 20 years. When I first started I googled a "Castle Rush" cause it seems everyone that was playing online was doing this so I have followed that formula when starting a new game ever since. I stuff it up every time, it is now probably outdated, and there are probably better ways to do it, and when I watch people stream online they seem to get to Castle Age in 3 minutes, but I just play AI and I still enjoy it even though I know I'm terrible.

Make me feel better about my shitness.

Lastnight I was almost ready for bed and wanted to play something but I didn't want to commit to anything too time consuming or investing. So I went to my pick up and play go to, Rocket League. Having not played it for a while I was flying all over the place and I came to the realisation that I am terrible at it. I've always known I'm pretty bad, the rankings tell you this, but for the sheer amount of hours I have put in I have not got any better and I don't think I ever will. I have fun though and that's all that matters.

Some days I'm literally untouchable on Rocket League. Scoring goals, epic saves, going on 10+ game winning streaks.

Then other days I'm absolutely pathetic. Missing simple shots, not defending.

That's Rocket League for ya.

Pretty much all the FROM SOFTWARE games. Playing Sekiro again at the moment. The mechanisms of the game encourage you to stay close to your enemies block their attacks and combo your way to a finish. Rather than deflect the attacks of the enemy I stay back draw out an attack and then dart in for one hit and then run away. Completely against the mechanisms the game has set out but it works for me as my reflexes are too slow to read the attacks.

I also play many RPG's. But I never spend insane amount of times researching so my builds are probably not 100% right and I don't know enemies weaknesses or attack patterns I just run in and try to kill sh*t. So most would consider me pretty crap at these too. Again, don't care, I have fun. Specific examples of this for me would probably be ESO, Diablo and now Phantasy Star Online 2

Age of Empires 2. Holy crap have I played that game to bits in it's different variations over 20 years. When I first started I googled a "Castle Rush" cause it seems everyone that was playing online was doing this so I have followed that formula when starting a new game ever since. I stuff it up every time, it is now probably outdated, and there are probably better ways to do it, and when I watch people stream online they seem to get to Castle Age in 3 minutes, but I just play AI and I still enjoy it even though I know I'm terrible.

Make me feel better about my shitness.

I know exactly what you mean about Age of Empires 2. I've actually spent a lot of time on it while in lockdown, practicing strategies. I can absolutely trounce any of my IRL friends.

So, full of confidence, I head to the ranked ladder...and get utterly flogged multiple times in a row. Feels bad man.

I've managed to get to about a 50% win rate in ranked matches now but I can definitely confirm there is a huge difference in skill level between a casual game of AoE with friends and the online matchmaking. It's insane.

Last edited:
I don't think I've been good at any game.

I thought I was good at Battlefield 4 because I was a great medic and I eventually got really good with a Sniper rifle. But despite playing it for like four months straight, my K/D ratio was still s**t and I couldn't drive a single vehicle for more than 12 seconds without crashing it or getting blown up.

Also, despite beating Bloodborne, Sekiro and currently advancing through Dark Souls III, I am still sure I suck at these games. All it takes is a small search for boss tips to find out I am dying in boss fights at a higher clip than most. It just speaks to how thoroughly I don't understand the RPG elements. Like right now, I've got a +5 or +6 weapon but it's a starter weapon. I've wasted all these titanic shards on this piece of crap and I only just realised they're probably pretty rare. And I completely wasted this boss' Soul that I needed for a cooler sword just to level up because I didn't know there was a guy who bought them. I have no idea what I am doing, and yet I keep playing regardless and somehow keeping advancing.

Rocket league. Gah! I'm that player you see zooming up and down the wing doing nothing but overshooting the ball...
Sweet we should team up and win games based on sending our opponents into fits of laughter

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just enjoy gaming mate. Stay offline and play how you want to.

In my mid 40's now and still pick up a controller. Playing online though, it's like catching Aids.

Pretty much any fighting game. I'll get pretty good at beating the AI sometimes but the second I go online I get smashed repeatedly.

Pretty rubbish at this year's FIFA but still hammer it

Rocket League - The amount of time I've put in to this game I should be a ******* pro yet I'm still a legit potato.

Battlefield & Battlefront - Love these games but lawd am I s**t at them.

For all those who claim to suck at MP FPS, what's your KDR? If I get to 0.8, Im ecstatic.
BFV - 0.53
BF1 - 0.65

If I finish a round at parity or better, I've played a blinder.

COD online. I'm not complete garbage, but despite being level 34 in WWII currently it's not uncommon for me to have matches finishing with 5:15 or 6:16 and the like. I'm capable of breaking even or going 13:12 or similar these days but I can't understand how some are regularly going 20:10 or better.

The absolute best I ever played was a random match where absolutely everything clicked for me. 22:4 I went. Only time I've ever had a 10 kill streak.

I've pumped a ridiculous number of hours into Age of Empires 2 from its original release right through to the Definitive Edition, and 99.99% of those hours will have been skirmish mode and LAN MP co-op against the AI.

I have a lot of fun with it even though I know I'll get trounced online, so I don't bother.

Pretty much any fighting game. I'll get pretty good at beating the AI sometimes but the second I go online I get smashed repeatedly.

Don't feel too bad about that, most people who play fighting games usually main the genre and play on a near daily basis. I say this as someone who once had to binge Street Fighter to get any good at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back