Gaming Question of the Month - Favourite Horror Game and/or Series?

Remove this Banner Ad

In honour of the month of October being 'Halloween Month'. This months question has a very specific flavour.

Different to 'Scariest game you have played?' this is asking your very favourite Horror game or series. Doesn't necessarily mean the game that scared (/scarred?:p) you the most.

This gen has obviously seen a lessening in terms of true Survival horror titles, but we're still seeing some quality out there. Dead Space 1 & 2, Bioshock, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Siren: Blood Curse, Penumbra, Alan Wake...a slight pass mark to Resident Evil 5.

And of course past gens have seen Resident Evil, System Shock, Silent Hill, Onimusha, Manhunt, Fatal Frame, Alone in the Dark and Obscure take the lead in the Horror genre. Some more than others obviously.

Personally Dead Space has taken the lead for me with a bullet. I loved it's mix of scares and action along with the upgrades system and the real big different nature to taking enemies down in dismembering them.

Amnesia is the scariest game I've played and it would be 2nd as my favourite, with it's insane ability to bring on the tension while dripping with atmosphere. The only thing the game lacked were some really good puzzles that made you think a bit more.

So, there's plenty to choose from there and plenty more unnamed. What is your favourite horror game and/or series?

PREVIOUSLY ASKED QUESTIONS OF THE MONTH:
Are Boss Fights Necessary?
Is DLC a Good thing or a Bad thing?
How Important is Story? Gameplay over Story? Story over Gameplay?
Which Genre will shine brightest next-gen?
What game would you make?
Your favourite console of all time?
Your least favourite console of all time?

I don't play Horror games very often at all but my favourites are Silent Hill and Forbidden Siren 1 and 2 on the ps2 (I hated Siren: Blood Curse.)

Silent Hill 2 is one of the greatest games of all time, so that must be my selection.

It has its flaws, namely an abundance of ammunition, and it's probably not as scary as SH1 but you will not find a more finely crafted story.

-Multiple endings depending on your actions throughout the entire game, not arbitrary ABC selection type crap.
-Deep story, with confronting themes. Everything is designed for a reason, yet those reasons are still open to the player's own interpretation.
-Interesting puzzles
-Fantastic atmosphere, sound etc

SH2 raised the bar for psychological horror, and the horror genre. It has not been met since then.

Also, the ending is the most depressing thing I've ever experienced in a videogame.

This month's question ends up being a no brainer to me and it's pretty much be default.

Resident Evil 4. Now I am aware that it barely counts but I'm a guy who doesn't really like 'survival horror'. Not because it's scary, I just had real issues with the majority of the genre's clunky controls. Resident Evil 4 whilst not removing all of it, made the controls which really suited the game.

I still put it down as one of my ten best experiences on previous gen hardware and probably top 20 of all time. There is more a general sense of unnerving rather than out right scares, although I do remember the first time I was chased by the Chainsaw Baghead around the Village as I needed to reload.

I don't like games which create the nervousness by hamstringing you with dodgy controls/stuff all ammo. I think that is kind of cheap, but by giving you the choice of great controls. You have the option of running or genuinely fighting back. Which is why I'll always love RE4. I also love it's change up around the second act, with the new control scheme and the accuracy it provides, headshots are king for the first half of the game. Then as you approach your goal you pull off another safe headshot and the beast has something twice as dangerous pop out of it's neck with no obvious weak spot. Was one of my favourite examples of changing the rules of a game mid way and forcing you to adapt.

I've played the first 3 Silent Hills and they were decent, much better at the actual 'horror' aspect and Dead Space which feels more like the evolution of RE4 than RE5 (and probably 6).

I don't play horror games because I am easily frightened. So I'll just say that scariest moment I've ever had in a video game is this.

:D
Aww, you need one of these when playing Horror games:

Though not really a horror game as such I'll give my vote to the original Unreal. I remember having an at the time of release brand new PC that was fully loaded (for its time) so friends loved the game. I remember having some genuine scares but playing the game almost endlessly for months.

Dead Space 2 and Alan Wake would be equally scary imo, DS2's superiority as a game aside.

I absolutely love these sorts of games, much the way I love suspenseful thriller movies like The Shining and Duel.

I have Siren Blood Curse but I didn't really get into it; I'll have to give it a good go someday soon. Anyone played it through?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dead Space 2 and Alan Wake would be equally scary imo, DS2's superiority as a game aside.

I absolutely love these sorts of games, much the way I love suspenseful thriller movies like The Shining and Duel.

I have Siren Blood Curse but I didn't really get into it; I'll have to give it a good go someday soon. Anyone played it through?
Not sure if i would say Alan Wake was scary, great story and probably my fav from this genre.

sacka, haha, yeah I didn't find it overall scary tbh, but it did make me jump at times. The way I play is to maker the room completely dark and put on the headset. I tend to jump when something jumps out at me. I'm a sucker for that sort of stuff, but I love it. It's much like DS2 for me; I love the atmosphere and tension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back