Review GBU vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Tex’s playon mid 50 to Murphy’s advantage 1 out in the 50
Since the ‘can playon during the 50m penalty’ rule was introduced 2 or 3 years ago that’s the first time I’ve seen it implemented and it resulted in a goal.

Not the kind of kick i mean but Tex is one of about 3 players on our squad that can hit a classy kick.
I mean the one where a player finds themself in a tiny bit of space around a contest, and chips the ball 15m sideways to turn it into clean posession.

Good teams then use run/space/overlap to score easily from that.

Summary:

Connor McKenna gets the ball and dashes through the middle corridor. Matt Crouch is chasing, but just doesn't have the leg speed to catch him and he gives up when he sees rookie Chayce Jones closing much more quickly.

Jones, who ran full pelt from the top of the 50m arc, nearly catches the Bomber player. However, he stops when he sees the closer Rory Laird come from the side of the square to cut him off.

McKenna then deviates toward the centre of the square, but what does Laird do? He puts in absolutely no effort to chase, in fact he looks like he's having a casual jog.

Summary:

Connor McKenna gets the ball and dashes through the middle corridor. Matt Crouch is chasing, but just doesn't have the leg speed to catch him and he gives up when he sees rookie Chayce Jones closing much more quickly.

Jones, who ran full pelt from the top of the 50m arc, nearly catches the Bomber player. However, he stops when he sees the closer Rory Laird come from the side of the square to cut him off.

McKenna then deviates toward the centre of the square, but what does Laird do? He puts in absolutely no effort to chase, in fact he looks like he's having a casual jog.

As an Irishman myself it's always nice to see the Irish lads incorporate a bit of the Gaelic skills in Aussie Rules. Was it actually legal though? Surely would have overrun if the solo isn't counted as a 'bounce'?

Jones should not have given up the chase in my opinion

Summary:

What stands out watching the replay is that neither Jones nor Matt bothered chasing Laird's man, who was also streaming forward unattended. Really poor stuff.

As an Irishman myself it's always nice to see the Irish lads incorporate a bit of the Gaelic skills in Aussie Rules. Was it actually legal though? Surely would have overrun if the solo isn't counted as a 'bounce'?

There's nothing illegal about the "solo", but it doesn't count as a bounce. McKenna clearly overran his 15m, and should have been pinged for travelling.

There's nothing illegal about the "solo", but it doesn't count as a bounce. McKenna clearly overran his 15m, and should have been pinged for travelling.
Yeah i meant did it count as a legal 'bounce' or something. In Gaelic you can bounce or solo and it's counted as a break between possession.
Should have been pinged the moment umpires saw it happening as he was due a bounce

Was that legal by McKenna? Does kicking to yourself count as a bounce or disposal?
I would assume a kick as it's not a bounce.

Not the 1st player to gather their own kick...

I haven't really watched any Bombers game this year, but is McGrath someone that even needed to be tagged?? Seems a very strange option, I would have thought it would have been much more beneficial to the team to tell Jones to be attacking and use his strengths to advantage us.
I gather it is more about teaching Jones defensive action, which is not a bad thing as long as it's not every week.

Pity we didn't teach our more experienced mids too!

stengle definately has the goal sense.. has it in spades. watch the replays of last years SANFL games.. goal sense is goal sense no matter what level you're playing in..

IMO.. i think he’s still a bit nervous when he get the ball within range and, as a result, is rushing himself.. needs to develop some composure at this level in and around the goals. this will come with experience. around the ground he has heaps of composure, even in heavy traffic.. but when he gets it inside attacking 50 he just looks panicky.

how many games has he played?.. less than 10?.. he’ll get it together soon and kick a bag in a game and then wont look back.
Just need to keep getting games into Stengle.

Our forward line crumbing/pressure looked much better with Stengle, Murphy & McAdam... along with Tex crashing packs/using 2 hands to mark.

Coaches votes vs the Bombers

Adelaide v Essendon

8 Andrew McGrath (ESS)
7 Brodie Smith (ADEL)
7 Zach Merrett (ESS)
6 Jordan Ridley (ESS)
1 Paul Seedsman (ADEL)
1 Darcy Parish (ESS)
Good to see Seed is back in form, so we should drop Mackay & play Sholl instead.

I would assume a kick as it's not a bounce.

Not the 1st player to gather their own kick...
If he kicks to himself, and the ball doesn't hit the ground, then he's deemed to be in possession the whole time - and can be pinged for HTB.

For the kick to count as a disposal, it must touch either another player or the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheeky hand-toe was delicious.
People dont understand how hard that skill is running full pelt with a round ball not to mention a footy.

He kicked the ball, while of course its no mark, does the distance get reset?

According to your other theory, if you kick the ball in the air and 'mark' it yourself 20m away you've 'run too far' and that 100% is not the case.

I'm not sure theres coverage in the rules for that situation

As if the umps dont have enough to worry about

According to your other theory, if you kick the ball in the air and 'mark' it yourself 20m away you've 'run too far' and that 100% is not the case.

Have you been reading the thread? It's clearly included in the rules.

(a free kick shall be given if...) whilst in possession of the football, does not bounce or touch the football on the ground at least once every 15 metres, irrespective of whether such Player is running in a straight line or otherwise. For the purposes of this Law, a Player shall be deemed to be in possession of the football during the period when the Player kicks or handballs the football to themself and regains possession without the football touching the ground.

Have you been reading the thread? It's clearly included in the rules.

(a free kick shall be given if...) whilst in possession of the football, does not bounce or touch the football on the ground at least once every 15 metres, irrespective of whether such Player is running in a straight line or otherwise. For the purposes of this Law, a Player shall be deemed to be in possession of the football during the period when the Player kicks or handballs the football to themself and regains possession without the football touching the ground.

Well ive seen players mark their own kicks over 15m and its never once been paid.
Is that a recent addition?
And yes sorry popping in and out of a giant thread like this you dont catch everything.

Well ive seen players mark their own kicks over 15m and its never once been paid.
And yes sorry popping in and out of a giant thread like this you dont catch everything.
Can you provide a single example? I don't think I've ever seen it. 15m is a long way to catch your own kick.

Yes, they would still be deemed to be in possession, even if the ball travelled 20m.

Here are some useful definitions, taken from the 2019 Laws of Football:
Possession of the Football: a designation to a Player who:
(a) is holding or otherwise has control of the football; or
(b) is in the act of bouncing the football.
17.12 OTHER
A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who:
(c) whilst in possession of the football, does not bounce or touch the football on the ground at least once every 15 metres, irrespective of whether such Player is running in a straight line or otherwise. For the purposes of this Law, a Player shall be deemed to be in possession of the football during the period when the Player kicks or handballs the football to themself and regains possession without the football touching the ground.
I've had a look at the 2008 & 2011 versions. They note that a player is still deemed to be in possession if they handball the football to themself, but do not mention kicking to themself. That appears to have been added somewhere between 2012-19.

Last edited:

Summary:

Solid analysis. What was Laird even doing? He looked like a 60 year old shepherd helping herd the last few sheep into the paddock.

It was changed sometime between 2012-2019.

Here's the 2011 version:
15.2.2 Remaining in Possession and Bouncing the Football
(b) Where a Player is moving whilst in possession of the football, the Player must bounce or touch the football on the ground at least once every 15 metres, irrespective of whether such Player is running in a straight line or otherwise. For the purposes of this Law, a Player shall be deemed to be in possession of the football during the period when the Player handballs the football to themself and regains possession without the football touching the ground.
No mention of kicking to themself, but handballing is covered. Handballing was covered at least as far back as 2008.

Here's the 2019 version:
17.12 OTHER
A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who:
(c) whilst in possession of the football, does not bounce or touch the football on the ground at least once every 15 metres, irrespective of whether such Player is running in a straight line or otherwise. For the purposes of this Law, a Player shall be deemed to be in possession of the football during the period when the Player kicks or handballs the football to themself and regains possession without the football touching the ground.
Both handballing & kicking to themself are now covered.

Good: charging it forward in the last quarter, taking the game on with courage. Great to see in a young side.
Bad: still too many ordinary senior players.
Ugly: hamstring awareness coming back?
The whole comp is starting to experience soft tissue injuries, not just us

It was changed sometime between 2012-2019.

Here's the 2011 version:

No mention of kicking to themself, but handballing is covered. Handballing was covered at least as far back as 2008.

Here's the 2019 version:

Both handballing & kicking to themself are now covered.
I think it actually changed in response to McKenna doing this in a game.

I think it actually changed in response to McKenna doing this in a game.

Highly likely. They wouldn't make a change like that without something acting as a trigger, and the most likely trigger is an Irish player doing it in an AFL game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back