Gc Naming Swallow WTF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest, does Swallow's WAFL club East Fremantle get any money for GC17 taking him now instead of next year. Because when a kid gets drafted don't their local club get a fair sum of money for developing him? So by Swallow going now, does the AFL reimburse East Fremantle now or next year when Swallow gets drafted?....or does the money go to GC17 because Swallow is there player now? Talk about pissing on the 'AFL feeder' comps like the WAFL who consistently produce kids who get drafted top ten year in and year out for the AFL!

How can Gold Coast name Swallow as one of their top 3 in 2010 and get him to train there etc? If this is the case shouldnt Scully and Trengove be allowed to train with us from Oct 12 when the young guys started?
AFL wont let us name picks 1,2 but are ahppy to let Gold Coast take this guy a year early? How many concessions are they going to get honestly.

its a little different - but keep having a sad.....

this shouldnt impact on the super power which is the MFC

Not according to Kevin Sheehan and Neville Stibbard, who's now working for West Sydney. Both have stated that Scully and Trengove would still be 1 and 2. Sheehan stated that 6 inelligible players would be in the top 20, whilst Stibbard rated 4 in the top 10.

Having said that, if Darling was rated 3rd best this year in an uncomprimised draft, I wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne took him at 2, rather than taking 2 on-ballers.

Not eligible

What if Ablett wins another Brownlow, and gets a Norm Smith.

He then decides he wouldn't mind $1.2m a season at the Gold Coast.

GC17 would have to give up pick 1 and 3, or pick 2 and 3 to get him!

But Ablett will be out of contract which means the GC can take him for nothing with the AFL compensating Geelong.

Are GC17 an AFL club yet? If not, what rules do they break by inviting Swallow to join their VFL side next year?

Good luck to them reckon!

People really need to drill into there heads than neither Swallow or Darling are eligible for this years draft, nor would have they been under the old system. Swallow was born in November 92 meaning he only scrapes into the 2010 draft by a month and Darling misses out on being one of the lucky GC bound kids by four weeks.

Are GC17 an AFL club yet? If not, what rules do they break by inviting Swallow to join their VFL side next year?

Good luck to them reckon!

I hear EF have put a 40K transfer fee on Swallow's head......that is fair enough considering GC17 have openly said they will draft the kid in their top 3 picks next year....not bad money for an untried 16 year old.

no other competition in the world is tampered with as much the AFL - courtesy of the "AFL Commission"

clubs like Nth, Melb, Richmond are going to be up s**t creek for a long time to come - not even given a "fair" chance to re-build - its ridiculous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no other competition in the world is tampered with as much the AFL - courtesy of the "AFL Commission"

clubs like Nth, Melb, Richmond are going to be up s**t creek for a long time to come - not even given a "fair" chance to re-build - its ridiculous

Richmond haven't been given a fair chance to rebuild? Not the competitions fault that you guys have used your early picks on blokes like Fiora, Tambling, and JoN

Wasn't the minimum drafting age brought in for a reason - i.e. maturity and study issues, etc.?? I find it pretty unethical for AFL to allow 16yo's to be moving across the country to effectively start a career when they shouldn't be draft eligable.

Having said that, it is Gold Coast... ...

What if Ablett wins another Brownlow, and gets a Norm Smith.

He then decides he wouldn't mind $1.2m a season at the Gold Coast.

GC17 would have to give up pick 1 and 3, or pick 2 and 3 to get him!

He would be uncontracted so the AFL will decide what is suitable compensation. Trust me, it will not be to the detriment of GC17, so not one of the top three draft picks. Teams who lose uncontracted players to GC17 will get very little compensation in return.

He would be uncontracted so the AFL will decide what is suitable compensation. Trust me, it will not be to the detriment of GC17, so not one of the top three draft picks. Teams who lose uncontracted players to GC17 will get very little compensation in return.
According to the formula parameters previously issued, Geelong would receive a pick ahead of the first round for Ablett. Just one pick. They wouldn't be able to use it in the 2010 or 2011 drafts.

Swallow playing for Gold Coast in the VFL next season is just the same as any young kid playing for any VFL/SANFL/WAFL team next year.

And then Gold Coast will draft him to play in the AFL next season as they have promised.
If it's the same as any AFL club playing a draftee in their VFL team, will the AFL maintain this precedent and allow Carlton to take Dylan Buckley a year before he's eligible for the draft? ;)

Carlton should be able to name Buckley as a FS selection a year before he's eligible for the draft.

And keep this AIS player and 17 year old from the clutches of West Sydney.

The AFL would throw out our request in a heartbeat with an eye to sending Buckley to GWS.

The decision is a crock.

Equalisation is garbage.

If it's the same as any AFL club playing a draftee in their VFL team, will the AFL maintain this precedent and allow Carlton to take Dylan Buckley a year before he's eligible for the draft? ;)

Carlton should be able to name Buckley as a FS selection a year before he's eligible for the draft.

And keep this AIS player and 17 year old from the clutches of West Sydney.

The AFL would throw out our request in a heartbeat with an eye to sending Buckley to GWS.

The decision is a crock.

Equalisation is garbage.

How do you reckon Gold Coast will go in the AFL in 2010?
Oh... they're not in the AFL in 2010? They're in the VFL? There's a difference between the AFL and VFL???

So that would mean Swallow will be playing VFL for an independent team that doesn't even play AFL next year?

And he'll be officially drafted to play AFL in 2011 with a pick Gold Coast is guaranteed to take before any other team has a chance to pick him up?
But that will happen in 2010 draft right?

Do Carlton play VFL?
Oh... AFL?
So Gold Coast and Carlton don't even play in the same league?
So the rules for signing players are different?

Ahhhh. I think I get it now... Anyone can sign with a VFL club but to play for an AFL club they need to be picked up in an AFL draft.

Thanks for clearing that up :thumbsu:
For a second there I was thinking AFL and VFL were the same comp :eek:

The AFl is making sure the clubs don't end up like the Bears or Swans circa early 90's, also making them competitive quickly will help them build a supporter base. That being said, i think they are getting too many early 1st rounders.

So, let's say, as unfortunate as it would be, David Swallow blows a knee and needs a full reconstruction. He's no longer worth a top 3 pick, the Gold Coast want someone else. Where does the AFL take this one?

The problem ith the AFL's decision is that GC is given special treatment because no other club will have a guaranteed Pick No 1 ( SWS will have pick 2 in 2011 ) to enable them to bring a player into the system one year early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back