GC Rescue Package..... Should This Be The Last Time Ever For Anyone & Everyone ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
"The Suns got most of what they sought: picks galore, free academy players, Darwin in their academy zone, extra spots for rookies - all of it over three years."

I fully accept that the AFL had no other option than to give the Suns a leg-up to make them competitive & successful in the new footy frontier. Things like the TV rights and the overall standard of the competition were at stake, no-one benefits from having a basket-case of easybeats in the competition.

However, in my opinion, this just has to be the last ever time the AFL intervenes to assist clubs when they are in the cellar.

All clubs have paid professionals working for them to make decisions in their supposed best interests so I fail to see why they should not be made to suffer for their inept management. Priority picks and compensation picks should be scrapped immediately and if a club gets themselves into deep doo-doo, then they should be made to dig themselves back out again too.

Every club has the same access to the drafts, trades & FA agency options as the others plus the better run clubs seem to manage it okay, why is there this constant need for clubs to go cap in hand to the AFL and ask for more than what they deserve ??

Furthermore, why should the other clubs in effect be penalised to reward the cellar dweller for their poor management decisions ??

"The Suns got most of what they sought: picks galore, free academy players, Darwin in their academy zone, extra spots for rookies - all of it over three years."

I fully accept that the AFL had no other option than to give the Suns a leg-up to make them competitive & successful in the new footy frontier. Things like the TV rights and the overall standard of the competition were at stake, no-one benefits from having a basket-case of easybeats in the competition.

However, in my opinion, this just has to be the last ever time the AFL intervenes to assist clubs when they are in the cellar.

All clubs have paid professionals working for them to make decisions in their supposed best interests so I fail to see why they should not be made to suffer for their inept management. Priority picks and compensation picks should be scrapped immediately and if a club gets themselves into deep doo-doo, then they should be made to dig themselves back out again too.

Every club has the same access to the drafts, trades & FA agency options as the others plus the better run clubs seem to manage it okay, why is there this constant need for clubs to go cap in hand to the AFL and ask for more than what they deserve ??

Furthermore, why should the other clubs in effect be penalised to reward the cellar dweller for their poor management decisions ??

clubs like carlton need charity / social security

16th 18th [spoon] 16th 14th 18th [spoon] 13th ...

the afl would be unhappy with this kind of effort given their lust for a equalization based league. If the Suns finish above them i can see blues-handouts to prop them up.

No way, clubs need to stand on their own two feet.

If there are financial handouts, then it shouldn't be exclusive to Vic clubs only, it should be the same amount for all clubs in the competition.

What nonsense, we needed to grow the player pool, we wanted to be national - as a West Coast supporter I'm well aware of the advantages heartland States have.

To expect the northern States to be able to compete they need help, but the minute they get it, sooky sooky la la.

What nonsense, we needed to grow the player pool, we wanted to be national - as a West Coast supporter I'm well aware of the advantages heartland States have.

To expect the northern States to be able to compete they need help, but the minute they get it, sooky sooky la la.
I agree with this, too many sooks around.

Saying that, there must come a time when a line is drawn, GC need time for sure, but when is it enough time?

I agree with this, too many sooks around.

Saying that, there must come a time when a line is drawn, GC need time for sure, but when is it enough time?

Lets look at the AFL era, it took the Tiges 28 years to win a flag, Freo havent won one yet .... the Saints ....
lets have a look in 2030, BUT get fair dinkum in helping Coch0 make Aussie Rules the go to code on the Coast.

Lets look at the AFL era, it took the Tiges 28 years to win a flag, Freo havent won one yet .... the Saints ....
lets have a look in 2030, BUT get fair dinkum in helping Coch0 make Aussie Rules the go to code on the Coast.
We are talking about a place where traditionally sport seems to fail.

I agree, give it a chance, but there also need to be a time limit imo.

To answer the OP's question the answer is no as creating such black and white rules like this is never a good thing. There are always going to be circumstances that need to be judged individually rather than making a blanket rule for everyone.

Might as well get teams to play by different rules too.

s**t like this breeds corruption and I couldn’t disagree more. Each administration must be held accountable to a transparent system of decision making that can be predicted by clubs.

The GCS situation is discretion gone mad. Yeah they needed help. They needed it last year too. How you jump, in just one season, from priority access to State league players being enough, to what they got this year, is inexplicable. It should never be allowed to happen again.

I'm not sooky-la-la at all.

My preference is for a total & utter level playing field for all 18 clubs, not preferential treatment for certain ones on an ad-hoc selective application basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs that have received Priority Picks

Melbourne 3
Carlton 3
Collingwood 2
St Kilda 2
Fremantle 2
Western Bulldogs 2
Hawthorn 2
West Coast 1
Richmond 1

How any of these clubs supporters can claim the moral high ground on this is mind boggling.
These are just first round Priority picks. Carlton have had 6 overall.

The AFL isn't going to let a club die, especially one that they helped set up (poorly) and continue to contribute financially. Gold Coast are circling the drain after less than 20 wins in the last 4 seasons.

Most clubs have benefited in some way from assistance from the AFL through picks, including Carlton in 2018 and Brisbane in 2016.

How any of these clubs supporters can claim the moral high ground on this is mind boggling.

GCS didn’t just receive a priority pick. No club has ever received what the AFL just gave GCS.

Previously clubs received a priority pick under a system that was applied equally and transparently. Either set some standards by which everyone knows what’s going on or be done with it.

GCS didn’t just receive a priority pick. No club has ever received what the AFL just gave GCS.

Previously clubs received a priority pick under a system that was applied equally and transparently. Either set some standards by which everyone knows what’s going on or be done with it.

Didn't this just promote tanking though?

I have said before that the AFL and the NRL should come to an agreement that both organisation's should pull their respective clubs from the Gold Coast as both clubs are huge financial black holes for both and move the Suns to Tassie and the Titans to North of Brisbane.

How many of those were discretionary at AFL house request, and how many were issued under fixed rules at the time?

That seems to be a big part of the issue - Gil just makes s**t up as he goes along.
Northern teams certainly need help - the academies are a great idea, and absolutely retention bonuses should be paid in non-traditional AFL states. It's the lack of transparency or any sort of due process which seems to be the biggest sticking points.

I am okay with it personally, but I think in a few years time, if the Suns play their cards right, they could have an even deeper and more ominous list than the Giants (Darwin being part of their academy, and no clun allowed to bid on players from that region Gold Coast is a massive leg up for them)

I think Freo fans are entitled to be pissed off, they never got this kind of concession/start up picks when they came into the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back