Opinion Geelong Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Harley was a good player but no star. Henry is now a premiership player and should be talked about in the same conversation as Harley. I'd take Henry. Bews was mentioned only because we haven't had an elite small defender over the period discussed to include.
Enright is the definition of elite small defender.

Harley gets lost a bit on the recency bias IMO - not saying you've applied that here but in general.

Harley's leadership was immense in 06-09 and IMo we dont win those falgs with him guiding the playing the group like did.

For that .. I add points to is relevance in these things.

GO Catters

Did u do shots before typing the second paragraph? Lol

But I agree, Harley was huge.

For mine - updated:

B: Enright, Scarlett, Harley (vc)
HB: Stewart, H. Taylor, Milburn
C: Duncan, Selwood (C), Mackie
FO: Ottens, GAJ, Danger
HF: S. Johnson, Mooney, J. Cameron
F: Chapman, Hawkins, Stokes
INT: Bartel, Blics, J. Kelly, Guthrie

EMG: S. King, Ling, J. Corey, Lonergan

Hard to leave out Ling and Corey, but it gets too slow and inside mid heavy if theyre both in there as well. Cameron is another contentious one, but he's still a Coleman medalist, 2 x AA, 2x B+F and Premiership player - so he's done enough in his career to deserve being in the team - regardless of him only being here a couple of years.

Very good team that you have selected

Woah. Give you Mackie over Harley.
Love Henry and especially Bews but not over Harley.
Not often you and I agree but let’s just hope the fella you’ve quoted is just getting in early and ends up correct by the time Jack and Jed’s careers are complete.

I know he took the little guys but I think Enright was better employed as we effectively now play Stewart. As that intercepting mid sized defender rather than as a lock down defender of small forwards.

I prefer the role based characterisation

For defenders

Key/non-key then Lock down, intercepting, rebounding.

An AFL player can make a career out being strong in one of those areas but they usually display competency is more than one area. The game is more fluid so during a game player move in and out of those roles.

The best players fit into a hybrid role where they seamlessly move between different roles in a game. For a non-key defender Enright had the rare ability to stop his opponent, win the ball back and then use in well. Where lesser players tend to give up on one area to be better at another.

Stewart Scarlett Enright
Mackie Taylor Duncan
Ottens Selwood Ling
Dangerfield Bartel Blicavs
Ablett Cameron Stengle
Chapman Hawkins Johnson

Close Guthrie Kelly Kelly
Great team. I’d drop one of the Kelly’s for Joel Corey. Underrated or forgotten ball magnet and B&F

B: Enright, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Mackie
C: Duncan, Selwood, Corey
FO: Ottens, GAJ, Dangerfield
HF: S. Johnson, Cameron, Bartel
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Chapman
INT: Blicavs, Guthrie, Close, Tuohy
Medisub: Kelly

I tried not to do the tempting thing and simply fill it with midfielders i.e pick a well balanced team that actually makes sense. Although with Corey, Bartel, Johnson, Chapman, Guthrie and Blicavs that's still 6 potential stoppage midfield rotations outside of the starting 3 - I guess this isn't too far off our 2022 approach though. Chapman and Johnson might stay forward exclusively in this team.

Corey like latter day Guthrie was so reliable and an immense ball winner who stepped up finals - it's impossible to drop him. He and Bartel would be straight in there at the coal face to release Danger or Ablett across half forward for little periods.

Toughest omissions were Stokes (but I'd just love to see Close in such a creative team, also adding elite pressure/running defensively) and Kelly (I opted for more of a defender who can play elsewhere rather than a midfielder who can play defence - team balance). The latter would be a great sub option. But Tuohy can either play wing outright or release Mackie to wing where ultimately is where he got a lot of his ball. His elite ball use and creative threat would fit this side well.

Mooney and Harley were great but I've favoured a more dynamic set up.

Some really great teams there and it shows how ridiculously lucky we've been to see these guys running around KP across the past two decades. I'll see if I have time to put my own together later but I just wanted to say that I think Wojcinski would be pivotal. Looking across the lines most of the teams lack that pace that he'd provide. I'm not sure if any triple cup winners should be absentees either. Those guys are football gods.

Exclusively based on AA selections - 24 in total by my count, 12 multiple I think, 7 picked 4+ times and probably should have been 4 given that SK missed a fourth selection in 2011 when he averaged 22 and 2.3 goals a game. Wow.

Enright Scarlett Stewart
Mackie Taylor Harley
Selwood Guthrie T Kelly
Johnson Cameron Chapman
Stengle Hawkins Bartel
Ottens Dangerfield Ablett

Mooney, J Kelly, Blicavs, Corey

And that doesn’t include Egan, Ling, Milburn

All Australian Geelong 22 2007-2022 - i shoehorned Ottens in there as he wasn’t AA while with us but he still played like it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back