Preview Geelong V Hawks Mon Apr1 2024 @MCG 320pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the kind of game we see a debutant. Big stage, not necessarily big opposition.

I'm going to take a punt at Mitch Hardie.

So Dangerfield and Stanley the outs.
Ins Conway and Hardie.

Duncan parental leave. Bruhn, Atkins and Bowes - give them another week to recover from niggles.
Duncan on parental leave?
It’s the Poos+Wees, doubt he’d miss, you might be right 🤷🏻‍♀️
Game is in Melbourne, so it’s not a lot of time to miss. Time morning + evening to spend with his family.
We need Duncan with our injuries.

I have a feeling that there is a top notch team in there - GWS - and we just don't know it yet.
Think Dermie was saying on SEN they have all the pieces but can they put it together, especially in the big stage at the MCG

Ch 7 advertising EXCLUSIVE NEWS ON DANGER'S INJURY BLOW coming up on the 6pm bulletin so assume he's ruled out.
BT will be thrilled after his disastrous interview with Danger on Raving Brian 🤬

Think Dermie was saying on SEN they have all the pieces but can they put it together, especially in the big stage at the MCG
Yep. A fair bit can change over an off-season, but it takes a month and a half or so to reveal if there's a 1000-pound gorilla in the mix or not.

Ridiculous talent in that team if they work out how to make it fit. Hogan coming good and Riccardi being a huge draft steal have helped them enormously.

I have a feeling that there is a top notch team in there - GWS - and we just don't know it yet.
They are pretty darn good and though it’s early days, I suspect one will have to get past them to win the flag this year. That guy can coach.

Last edited:
Cats to win pretty comfortably on Monday. Although a one point win on the siren would be nice thanks Tommy.

Next month I reckon there is a game within a game for the Cats - who is our best midfield. I think we have a “top 7” for both forwards and backs - although for the forwards we have 2-3 (with Rohan back) who will keep pressure on those higher in the pecking order - so that might change if form drops. Backline also has some pressure for spots but I think best group identified

For the midfield I think we get a few weeks to sort out who the “top 8” is. (And utility for sub). For the life of me I do NOT believe Danger will only miss 2 weeks. I reckon Carlton is best chance to come back. Probably have Guthrie coming back not long after. If they are both fit they are 2 of the 8 spots. Blitz is a lock as is Duncan I think. We need a ruckman (which to me might become 50/50) so that is 5 spots. I think Tanner is a lock to make 6 spots done but I could see some people have a different view.

So for the final 2 spots I reckon we have 4 weeks to sort out who takes the last two spots (3 if you include utility as a sub). We have Clark (lock?) MOC (some would argue lock), Bowes (others would argue lock), 2E (coaches probably see as lock now?), Atkins (has been a lock), Parfitt (100+ game player) Knevitt, Hardie and maybe even Mannagh if he can’t squeeze into forward line. That is 8-9 players who all could be good enough to be in team if injuries who are looking to get 3 spots in an injury free best 23.

I think all of them (maybe except Knevitt and Hardie if no injuries) will get a good run over the next 4 weeks. I am going to be watching with interest how they play.

It won’t be as easy as picking the best players as need the right mix. I think you can only have 1 of Hardie/Atkins/Parfitt given roles and even then Bruhn is similar so maybe only 1 of those 4 (assuming we have Danger, Guthrie and Blitz as locks)…Do we have to choose between MOC/2E/Bowes as the utility?

Fascinating (to me)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if it's actually against the grain but by reading in this thread I get the feeling people think Rohan isn't best 22.

I think he's a mortal lock when healthy
Basically this for mine.

If he is full healthy, I couldn’t see him being left out.

Even him coming on as sub halfway through the third and using his pace could be handy.

All I did was tell the truth. Miers is good but with that kicking style and absolutely no left side he will never be great. He had a good game against the Crows but even in that game, his flaws held him back. E.g. running around the player on the mark towards the boundary and kicking a set shot out of bounds on the full. I'd prefer he went back an extra 5 meters and kicked over the mark. But that isn't an option because it is not in his repertoire.

He's hardly Robinson Crusoe in not having an opposite foot, many league players don't.

Obviously the club are more concerned with what he can do with his right leg and his footy IQ more than not having an opposite foot.

Patrick Dangerfield is expected to miss the next fortnight with a low-grade hamstring injury, while a couple of midfielders are set to be available for selection for the Easter Monday match against Hawthorn.

Geelong Cats Assistant General Manager – Football Brett Johnson said Dangerfield’s injury would likely only rule him out for the short term.

“Patrick injured his hamstring late in the game on Friday night, it’s a low-grade hamstring injury,” Johnson said.

“We expect Danger to only miss two weeks, so we look forward to getting him back on the park soon.”

Jack Bowes, who suffered a heavy cork to his calf in the lead-up to Round 1, is expected to be available for selection as he returns to full training on Wednesday.

Tom Atkins, who was a late withdrawal for the Round 2 clash with Adelaide with an adductor complaint, is also expected to be available for the traditional Easter Monday clash against the Hawks.

“Tom was really close (to playing), he just had a real low-grade adductor injury that we didn’t want to risk. We expect him to train fully tomorrow (Wednesday) and be available to play,” Johnson said.

“Jack has been recovering from that calf contusion (cork). Again, he is the same as Tom: if he trains fully tomorrow, we expect him to be available.”

Tanner Bruhn remains a test this week as he recovers from an injury suffered during Geelong’s Round 1 clash with St Kilda.

“Tanner is looking good. He’s had that mid-foot sprain, so we’re being cautious with that. He was a test late last week and didn’t get up, so he’ll be the same again for this week,” Johnson said.

Gary Rohan, Cameron Guthrie, Joe Furphy and Mitch Edwards are all progressing in their respective rehabilitation programs.

View attachment 1939968
Thank you so much for posting this update
😻

Geez they're really calling him "Stumpy"? Isn't that a little insensitive?
Look on the bright side Mr Meow, his stump could be a powerful weapon in hitouts. If he gets a hook, his marking could improve significantly. Sherrin will love him. A bionic hand, you know well. . .

Don't know if it's actually against the grain but by reading in this thread I get the feeling people think Rohan isn't best 22.

I think he's a mortal lock when healthy

Who is out if hes in.

Because it isnt dempsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back