Preview Geelong v Sydney Friday March 25 2022 7:25 pm @SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Jimmy Bartel coming out of retirement for one game for you guys?
Not as long as Scott is coaching. He's more likely to play for your cross town rivals.

It's weekly now. Given the amount of 50 metre penalties they pay that aren't warranted, or deliberate out of bounds based seemingly on crowd noise, it's not like they actually use judgement or restraint anymore. It's actually quite sad how poor the standard is, and the crap that is routinely paid that everyone seems happy with.

From two separate games on the weekend I saw two of the worst 50 metre penalties I've seen, that both led to goals. Passed almost without comment.
don't know about soccer, but NFL and MLB have had recent issues with umps/refs, and now NCAA basketball as well. it seems to be a pandemic :)

On topic, I mostly hope we come out with the same intent as round 1. We were on, they weren't. Absolutely need to have that mentality as the default setting. It will be a big test to those guys out there who have had that problem in the past. And those who surprised with their step ups, to repeat their efforts.

Shame. He looked composed and pretty good I thought.
Thought he looks like an extra from Dazed and Confused :grinv1:
image-w1280.jpg

Yeah, was impressed by his overall play. And can only get better.

Thought he looks like an extra from Dazed and Confused :grinv1:
image-w1280.jpg

Yeah, was impressed by his overall play. And can only get better.
One of the best movies ever. 👍

Again, you can thank our culture and development for that. Ablett was considered lazy and a waste of a talent until leading teams pulled him into line.

That's a result of the club more than the system.

Anyway, we're straying off topic. There's a game being played Friday night at a ground where we have a good record and suits us.
I heard dal Santo at some point discuss ablett in his draft year. He said they were all aware of his freakish abilities but they only saw it in small glimpses and he did not get a lot of the ball and that they had no idea he would develop into what he did.

It was a far cry what he turned into from where he came from as a junior. Was anywhere from a mid second to early third rounder.

Nathan was always considered the better talent.

This will be a tough one to win I reckon. Something about Heeney/Parker/Franklin just never feels like it bodes well for us.

I think Parker tore us a new one in 2015, even though we competed well for three quarters. Duncan was starring that game before he went down and then things fell apart in the last.

Again, you can thank our culture and development for that. Ablett was considered lazy and a waste of a talent until leading teams pulled him into line.

That's a result of the club more than the system.

Anyway, we're straying off topic. There's a game being played Friday night at a ground where we have a good record and suits us.

No he wasn't, that's a pretty big exaggeration.

The conversation was "look you're a good player, you're becoming a very good player, but we think if you push yourself more you can become a great player" or words to that effect. It's in The Mission book. But he was never considered lazy to my recollection, and certainly not a wasted talent.

Parker was the draft pick after we took the hyphen!

The Swans won't be as feeble around the ball as the Bombers were, so it will be interesting to see how Higgins performs. He deserves another game as, I suppose, does Dal, though I continue to question their long-term value: I would hope to see others in their place by mid-season.

No he wasn't, that's a pretty big exaggeration.

The conversation was "look you're a good player, you're becoming a very good player, but we think if you push yourself more you can become a great player" or words to that effect. It's in The Mission book. But he was never considered lazy to my recollection, and certainly not a wasted talent.
He absolutely was.

He won the club's goalkicking in 2006 and was clearly getting better all the time. Wasn't looking wasted to anyone paying attention.
He was considered lazy a poor trainer and someone who was washing their talents. That was from a former premiership star directly, and I'm sure it's also been made public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the Fox Footy Round 2 team predicts:

"Shaun Higgins, Max Holmes and Luke Dahlhaus have all been in and out of the Cats’ senior side over recent years, but they kicked five goals between them against the Bombers. Will be an interesting week at Geelong match committee ..."

The bolded is a pretty fair effort considering that 2 of the 3 have only been on the list for 1 season & 1 game, while the other played 40 games across their first 2 seasons at the club & seemed pretty locked into the 22 during that time

This is from Bomber re Leading teams and JNR..

One of the things that came out of the Leading Teams exercise related to commitment to training, although I think Gary helped me to view our approach to training quite differently to the way I previously had. I believe that if you’re not injured, you should train. I recall, on occasions, Gary would say he just wasn’t right and then he wouldn’t train. But maybe he got it right and we got it wrong. Maybe if people train when they’re sore, which some people do, it doesn’t do them any good and sets them back. Some people just have a different pain tolerance. Matthew Scarlett would train fully every session and say, ‘It’ll help me play better,’ whereas Gary would say, ‘Nah, my body’s got to feel right to play.’ I’m sure Scarlett trained sore sometimes, and Gary trained sometimes when he was a little bit sore, but I think the tolerance to training was initially lower with Gaz. But that’s a personal thing and Gary had to feel right to play. Who can question that? I can’t. Maybe this theory of ‘Everyone’s got to train’ isn’t helpful. Gary made me question my attitude to the situation. The thing was, he could still play well without training as hard or as often as others. I’m not saying he was lazy, but I think he structured his preparation to get his body in pristine condition in time to play, whereas others just trudged on. I can’t question his motives at all, because by the time game day came, he was ready to play and he played nearly every week, at an exceptionally high standard, for many seasons.

Good Times - That Lindner match is one of my all time favs, especially as he had absolutely stunk the place up for three and a half quarters before he just went on a rampage all over the ground. And Sydney had won their last three home matches by a combined store of a 100 zillion (well 323 points) previous to that match.

1993 was the year Richard Osborn got carted off the ground by an ambulance coming onto the ground.
Re Lindner - that game - when football was just football and commentators were just commentators ( said what they actually thought )

There is a great call of that [passage of play - just after Linder kicked that goal - Geoff Leek of the ABC i think - and he proclaimed - Lindner has been hopeless - and he really emphasised the word hopeless - and he was right

He was considered lazy a poor trainer and someone who was washing their talents. That was from a former premiership star directly, and I'm sure it's also been made public.

Tim McGrath called him " quite lazy actually "- on Mike Sheahans - On the couch show - McGrath must have been reserves coach or something in Abletts early years

I think it was Scarlett who i heard on the radio a year or 2 back on the radio - and he said at the meeting - all the players message to Ablett was - we want you to be our Chris Judd - but you cant be if you keep training the way you are

Much of the history being recalled above can be found in Scott Gullan's book about the 07 flag - a book that contains more typographical errors than any book I've ever read. Which seems to go with Scott, don't you think?

Can't complain too much when we ourselves go the other end of the spectrum and recruit ready made stars such as Henderson, Tuohy, Cameron, Dangerfield, Smith and co.
No other team benefits from the father/son rule like we do. Scarlett, Hawkins, Ablett, Bews etc.
Daicos, Daicos, Moore ... Pies have at least 3 right now

Like Geelong, Swans have also lost some pretty handy players. Nankervis, Mitchell, Jones, Hewett, Aliir Aliir, Dawson are all walk starters at just about any other club not named Melbourne.
How is it they get all these father/sons plus have the richest gold mine of academy players on top of that. It’s an absolute rort and should be stamped out.

bit worried about our key defensive coverage this week. less than ideal having only one key defender.

Could bite us a little in the end if we get alot of defensive fifty marks against instead of the ball intercepted or killed.

If cameron plays, expect to see stanley float back alot during the game for coverage in the air.
I kinda want to see Esava tried as a defender. Play him on buddy

Still is.

The one name I think of when people say "who WOULD have been a star" without any doubt whatsoever.

And yes, he did show more than his brother at the same stage.
For me it's Menzel if not for those dodgy knees...

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I kinda want to see Esava tried as a defender. Play him on buddy
bit worried about that one as he lacks a footy brain. quite an essential thing to have if your going to be a defender playing on the best forwards in the AFL. his aerial awareness and body positioning is not the greatest either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back