Preview Round 16, Sydney vs Geelong, Friday 30 June 7:50pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week we have the clash of the Titans as the two most recent teams to break the 200pt barrier face off - though there's been 12 years between each teams feat

In 2011 when Geelong piled on 233 points and obliterated Melbourne to the tune of 186 in a coach killer game, we backed it up a week later with a 150pt win when we put on a lazy 188 against Gold Coast - Melbourne finished that season in 13th with 8 wins, while GC finished with just the 3 wins for the year

This week we'll be hoping that Sydney doesn't back up their score of 205 & 171 point win from Saturday, and while there may be some similarities between 2011 GC & 2023 WCE, surely we're currently better placed than Melbourne were the year

On Thursday night we knocked off one of the premiership favourites, and while the game was on our home deck we were missing a few regulars from the midfield with our captain on the sideline due to a punctured lung, and we then lost Jezza Cameron barely halfway into the first term & that stage his stat line listed a single turnover to his name... Enter Gary Rohan

Having accidentally collected his teammate with a shoulder in a marking contest, Gary's game was headed for one of two ways - either the clash with Cameron plays on his mind all night and we're essentially two players down before quarter time, or the boys get around him, remind him it was an accident & he needs to refocus on the game at hand. What we saw from Gary was close to his best game in the Hoops, probably only eclipsed by his 2022 QF efforts - it's not the 16 disposals, 4 tackles, 3 goals & goal assists that tell the story of his game, but how he went about things, his attack on the ball and ability to make his opponents look like they were running in quick sand. The challenge for Gary this week will be to bring that same level to the ground he called home for 9 years

We also welcomed back the much maligned Rhys Stanley who just gave another dimension to our midfield, and freed up Blicavs into more of a midfielder role which let him do what he does best. The other positive from the weekend was seeing the start of the next gen midfield team coming through - he may have cost us a first round pick at last years trade table, but 11 games into his career in the Hoops and Tanner Bruhn is starting to gain attention as the player to be leading our next gen in the midfield as we transition from the greats of Selwood and Dangerfield

Speaking of the captain, we know he's hopeful of returning this week but time will tell if that's really a possibility of not - no doubt he makes our midfield & team stronger with his presence alone, but unlike the start of the season where we seemed reliant on Paddy in the guts, as our younger guys get more games under their belt, it may become a case where he can return, play his role and not be expected to carry the load

This week will be a challenge, we know Sydney haven't necessarily had the best of seasons to date, but they're a team you don't take for granted, especially on their home deck

Bring on Friday night and our continued push for the finals

Difficult pick.

Swans-
Nearly back to full list.
At their home.
Effortless win on weekend.

Cats-
I'm hoping the pressure we had to face, and then exert will stand us in good stead.
Sav in for JC
JHenry KF
Not sure about Danger.
Our record there, not the best.

Difficult pick.

Swans-
Nearly back to full list.
At their home.
Effortless win on weekend.

Cats-
I'm hoping the pressure we had to face, and then exert will stand us in good stead.
Sav in for JC
JHenry KF
Not sure about Danger.
Our record there, not the best.
Neither is Sydney this year

Take out Hawks and WC (which should both be ignored) they are 1-4 at the SCG this year…

As Chris Scott would say -"It's not about who you play, but when you play them".

Swans have finally hit some form over the past few weeks and are just about back to full strength. Danger game indeed.

Cameron is a huge loss. Jack Henry to CHF? Esava to CHB?

Esava is an interesting one, I love his improvement this year but I feel like our backline is more settled with SDK and Henry playing the 2 key posts. Esava gives away some silly free kicks and his field kicking is a worry. I fear Buddy will be too smart for him and play for free kicks, hopefully I'm wrong.

Sounds like Danger will play. Bowes out?

Bews with the most important task of keeping Papley quiet.

In: Danger, Esava
Out: Cameron, Bowes (SUB)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing i will take issue with - re the preview/opening post is quote " The much maligned Rhys Stanley "

No that nonsense stopped 3-4 years ago - it should read - The much Appreciated - much required - much needed - Premiership Geelong Ruckman Rhys Stanley

As for the game - another must win - it would be great to win - get a bit of momentum - and with Nth Melb to follow then we could be 9-7 and in a good striking position

Re changes - in the review of the Melb game - i think it was Cursed Cat - he made a very astute comment/observation - re I Smith - he said his tackling efforts were pathetic - and i agree spot on - Smith has been a tremendous player - got alot of credits in the bank - however this is a must win game - you need blokes who are prepared to tackle - be fierce - do all the 1% stuff - and Smith is not prepared to do that at the moment - so i wouldnt play him in this vital game

In Dangerfield and Esava

Out Cameron and Smith

You could swap Bowes and O Henry re the sub - but the match commitee will look at the Swans side for that possibility

Any chance Sav gets a chance at CHF this week? Not necessarily all game.
His confidence is no longer an issue, and the games in defence may have given him insights about forward play he didn't previously have

Any chance Sav gets a chance at CHF this week? Not necessarily all game.
His confidence is no longer an issue, and the games in defence may have given him insights about forward play he didn't previously have
I was wondering this today. Defence looks way more settled back to the old setup. I don’t love the idea of changing it up at this point.

No way does Sav not play if he is fit, his form this year + the fact Scott and the club love him suggests these are the only 2 options.

1. Sav in and Henry forward
2. Sav in and another player out/rested like Smith and we go in with the 4 talls

I don’t think Sav will play
But even on a small ground I can only see either him or SDek playing in the back half

If Sav plays I’m expecting SDek forward which makes me sick
Swans are playing 3 tall forwards
Amartey 197
McLean 197
McDonald 196
or Buddy 199
We will need DeK, Kolo and Sav or JH at the very least

We know Cameron won’t play, but wouldn’t the logical change to the forward line be for O. Henry to spend more time forward in Jezza’s absence rather than playing a bit further up the ground which is where he’s often found himself since the return of Rohan & Stengle from injury and Close from his suspension holiday?

Ollie seems to have been spending more time playing up around the wing, so for this week why not play Rohan as our second tall, Henry as the third tall and have both Stanley & Blicavs push forward at times?

J. Henry is starting to show a return to form as he builds his match fitness, so couldn’t it potentially be counter intuitive to move him forward for a week or two and possibly disrupt the progress he’s making?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back