Preview Round 16, Sydney vs Geelong, Friday 30 June 7:50pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team Geelong:

AFL Round 16 Team​

IN: Patrick Dangerfield, Esava Ratugolea
OUT: Jeremy Cameron (injured), Mark O'Connor (injured)
Milestone:
Zach Tuohy equals Jim Stynes' record for most VFL/AFL games played by an Irish-born player (264 games)

BacksJed BewsSam De KoningZach Guthrie
Half BacksJack HenryEsava RatugoleaTom Stewart (VC)
CentrelineIsaac SmithPatrick Dangerfield (C)Mitch Duncan
Half ForwardsOllie HenryGary RohanTyson Stengle
ForwardsTom AtkinsTom HawkinsBrad Close
FollowersRhys StanleyMark BlicavsTanner Bruhn
InterchangeJake KolodjashnijMax HolmesZach Tuohy
Gryan Miers
EmergenciesBrandan ParfittOisin MullinOllie Dempsey
Jack Bowes

Team Geelong:

AFL Round 16 Team​

IN: Patrick Dangerfield, Esava Ratugolea
OUT: Jeremy Cameron (injured), Mark O'Connor (injured)
Milestone: Zach Tuohy equals Jim Stynes' record for most VFL/AFL games played by an Irish-born player (264 games)

BacksJed BewsSam De KoningZach Guthrie
Half BacksJack HenryEsava RatugoleaTom Stewart (VC)
CentrelineIsaac SmithPatrick Dangerfield (C)Mitch Duncan
Half ForwardsOllie HenryGary RohanTyson Stengle
ForwardsTom AtkinsTom HawkinsBrad Close
FollowersRhys StanleyMark BlicavsTanner Bruhn
InterchangeJake KolodjashnijMax HolmesZach Tuohy
Gryan Miers
EmergenciesBrandan ParfittOisin MullinOllie Dempsey
Jack Bowes
Dempsey for sub? would not surprise me given his form but they could also want him to keep getting full games in the VFL to keep building.

I would say the sub will be him or Bowes.

Dempsey for sub? would not surprise me given his form but they could also want him to keep getting full games in the VFL to keep building.

I would say the sub will be him or Bowes.
Or maybe Mullin to keep up our required Irish numbers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an FYI to everyone, Bowes already named as sub - which is something we've started doing in recent weeks, since the AFL changed the rules around it
Can I ask where that's mentioned as it's not in the club's team announcement

They changed the rules?? when did i miss that
They didn't

We've also previously named the sub at team announcement time - Cooper Whyte & Jhye Clark for example

It was a brief thing released, but it was something the coaches were complaining about - having to omit players who they wanted as the sub (and it looking like they were being dropped when they weren't; Heppell, Cotchin etc).

Now, the player is 'OUT', but has in brackets (Sub). Some other teams just omit the player and put a new one in, but when it's the same player you want as your tactical sub the following week, and you're not technically 'omitting' them - that's what gets put there now instead.

View attachment 1724981

That doesn't mean Bowes is the sub this week, it just means he was the sub last week and hasn't been bought into the 22 this week

It was a brief thing released, but it was something the coaches were complaining about - having to omit players who they wanted as the sub (and it looking like they were being dropped when they weren't; Heppell, Cotchin etc).

Now, the player is 'OUT', but has in brackets (Sub). Some other teams just omit the player and put a new one in, but when it's the same player you want as your tactical sub the following week, and you're not technically 'omitting' them - that's what gets put there now instead. If they were dropped and a new player was coming in, it would just say 'omitted.'

View attachment 1724981
No that just means the sub has been omitted.

It's been like that for every team all season.

Now, the player is 'OUT', but has in brackets (Sub). Some other teams just omit the player and put a new one in, but when it's the same player you want as your tactical sub the following week, and you're not technically 'omitting' them - that's what gets put there now instead. If they were dropped and a new player was coming in, it would just say 'omitted.'

View attachment 1724981
That just means the activated sub the previous week isnt named in the 22 lol, its been like that literally all season..

It doesn't. Otherwise it would say 'omitted' - as it traditionally did.

We're not the only club that's done this, and I keep an eye on it because I play Fantasy footy.

That's not correct when it comes to the sub; if the sub doesn't come into the starting 22 the following week, they're listed as: Out (sub) - been that way since the sub war reintroduced

There's 4 other players all listed the same on the team sheets for this round, and I bet that not all will play as the sub in this round

It's simply a case that when there's more outs than ins for the 22, to explain where the odd out comes from, they list them as being the sub for the previous round - is: they weren't starting 22 last week, they were the sub and haven't been bought into the 22 this week

Besides, Geelong has been willing to name their sub early across the season when they see fit, the fact that they've instead included this line in the team announcement suggests that haven't locked in the sub just yet: The Cats will name their substitute one hour before the first bounce.

It actually hasn't. I can guarantee you it used to say 'omitted', and now it says 'sub' since the coaches cracked it over it.

GC have done the same, as have the Dogs this week. Both Rory Atkins and Rhylee West are listed as first emergency, and both have (OUT) with sub listed next to it instead of omitted.

I'm not gonna bother trying to convince anyone lol, but if all of Bowes, West and Atkins are sub this week, it will prove itself.
That's because both Atkins & West were the sub last week and that haven't come into the team this week

As examples from earlier in the season:

Round 11 - note that Dempsey is listed as Out (Sub)... He wasn't Sub versus GWS
1688029208745.png

Round 3 - Cooper Whyte was sub against Carlton in Round 2, he was then Out (Sub) in Round 3, and we know he hasn't played since
1688029302536.png

Our (Sub) = the player who was sub last week, isn't bought into the 22 this coming round

That's because both Atkins & West were the sub last week and that haven't come into the team this week

As examples from earlier in the season:

Round 11 - note that Dempsey is listed as Out (Sub)... He wasn't Sub versus GWS
View attachment 1725002

Round 3 - Cooper Whyte was sub against Carlton in Round 2, he was then Out (Sub) in Round 3, and we know he hasn't played since
View attachment 1725004

Our (Sub) = the player who was sub last week, isn't bought into the 22 this coming round

Honestly, thanks for that. I had both articles that stated that coaches wanted the change, and genuinely thought that they'd brought it into effect on the basis of what has been happening with other team announcements I've been paying attention to.

I couldn't find these prior team changes to show things one way or the other, so at least now I have confirmation. Must have been just a massive coincidence that the players I was paying attention to were then sub again the next week (literally more than 5 players off the top of my head).

Definitely got that one spectactuarly wrong, apologies to all for the misinformation (though not consciously doing so!)

These are the articles for anyone who wants to know why I was so adamant, yet so wrong, lol:

Last edited:
O

I might agree with you that in one on one contests Kolo might beat or neutralize his opponent more often. However he doesn't add much more. He might occasionally take an intercept mark or less occasionally go for a dash. However Savratugolea will take towering defensive marks, crash the pack or get a fist to the ball. He can neutralize two forwards at the same time. He is a key position player, Kolodjashnij is a role player. I think that is why Chris Scott talks so highly of Ratugolea.
Agree- they complement each other- I don't see it as either/or, it's both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back