Game Day Geelong vs Collingwood Practice Match @11AM

Remove this Banner Ad

We couldn't of used the ground the day before or the day after?

It just seems mind-blowingly stupid to me having the team train and play from 9am-11am when you can count on 1 hand the amount of AFL games we have starting before 2pm... If you want players to get good sleeping habits and get used to training in the same conditions they play, why don't we do night time training?

To me it is mind-blowingly stupid to think the time of day we play a trial match makes any meaningful difference to our pre-season. If our players are so sensitive to matters like this we might as well not turn up for the season. We are wooden spoon material.

Last edited:
To me it is mind-glowingly stupid to think the time of day we play a trial match makes any meaningful difference to our pre-season. If our players are so sensitive to matters like this we might as well not turn up for the season. We are wooden spoon material.

And what about training at 9am everyday when we play our games at 8pm? Is that also completely meaningless?

On the subject of Sier, what pleased me about him today was that he was noticeably more physical at stoppages. He didn’t have a fabulous game by any means, but he was willing to get in and take a hit/get his hands dirty, which is frankly more than he’s done at any point in his career in that respect up to this point. I’m used to seeing him skirting packs and not using his size, so it was refreshing to see him more involved from that perspective.

On Henry, I liked what I saw. I’m probably not willing to go as far as Scodog10 in saying he’ll surpass Stephenson, but I was impressed, and thought he didn’t look out of place at either end of the ground. Early days, but the signs are good.
I don’t get the love for Sier, he’s been a list clogger for years. Should have been on the trade table last year, we should have tried to convince another club that he really was a good player but for salary cap reasons he needed to go.

This will be another nothing year for him if he actually plays in the seniors. Sorry for all the bear lovers that’s my opinion on the unicorn 🦄. A mythical creature that people love but never gets sighted.

I don’t get the love for Sier, he’s been a list clogger for years. Should have been on the trade table last year, we should have tried to convince another club that he really was a good player but for salary cap reasons he needed to go.

This will be another nothing year for him if he actually plays in the seniors. Sorry for all the bear lovers that’s my opinion on the unicorn 🦄. A mythical creature that people love but never gets sighted.
But he was sighted and quite prominent in 2018. I believe he holds the key to our midfield success. He has size and skill which our other midfielders lack. With Cal Brown and Bianco added to the midfield we looked undersized against Geelong, and Sier provided some much needed balance. If the Bear doesn't fire, our midfield is not going to cut it against the better teams.

Tyler and Cal were dynamic! Wow! I confess to missing large chunks of the game due to un-foreseen circumstances, but on what I saw of it, I would use a less effusive word than 'dynamic' to describe their contribution. 'Serviceable' is a modest but more accurate description of their performances. There again, with the commentators intent on not exposing their lack of knowledge of the players' names by talking absolutely crap for the vast majority of the game, I took quite a while, with interruptions, to put names to jumpers. And why the dark jumpers? When I first tuned in late, I thought I was watching Carlton play Geelong.
If Tyler & Callum are regular best 22, we finish bottom 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But he was sighted and quite prominent in 2018. I believe he holds the key to our midfield success. He has size and skill which our other midfielders lack. With Cal Brown and Bianco added to the midfield we looked undersized against Geelong, and Sier provided some much needed balance. If the Bear doesn't fire, our midfield is not going to cut it against the better or teams.
Im hoping JDG and Sidey play mid alongside Adams, Pendles. If that happens there's no spot for another full time mid. We'll need flankers who can rotate through for the extra minutes. I think he'll need injuries to get a good run.

Last edited:
I've got a sneaky feeling that Cox is going to go alright this year.

In the interview doing the rounds this week I think Cox said he’d had five(?) operations on his injured eye to date, with one still to go. And that he’d only recently started seeing with both eyes again (made a joke about being one-eyed). Fair sort of handicap to play with over 2020. You’d hope he’d go better this year.

Im hoping JDG and Sidey play mid alongside Adams, Pendles. If that happens there's no spot for another full time mid. We'll need flankers who can rotate through for the extra minutes. I think he'll need injuries to get a good run.

With Sidey spending a lot of time on the wing and JDG plenty of time forward, Sier has plenty of opportunity to grab a midfield spot. Five midfielders is far from “ too many”.

To me it is mind-glowingly stupid to think the time of day we play a trial match makes any meaningful difference to our pre-season. If our players are so sensitive to matters like this we might as well not turn up for the season. We are wooden spoon material.

An early start will get them out of bed instead of staying up all night playing Doom or Fortnite or whatever the kiddies play these days.

And what about training at 9am everyday when we play our games at 8pm? Is that also completely meaningless?
Can you name any other teams that have had night practice matches so far? It’s not like having this at 11am has put us at a disadvantage. You’re overreacting.

At his best (2018 form) he’s an important cog in the midfield. He was a big part of us making the GF that year. If he can recapture that, then he can become a good player. It’s a big if though, and at this point he’s back to the same level as Tyler Brown, but without age on his side. I suspect that another so-so year will see him either traded or delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back