geelongs contested ball woes

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks played tough football. Down and dirty. Not our go.

I feel dirty for giving the scum any form of praise but they worked hard and wanted it more than we did.

I had to cop s**t from the missus cause her dad was a huge hawks fan and her uncle is too. So i cop it when they beat us. I’d rather lose to lolnorf, it would be less shameful than losing to the poo and wee filth.

I cop the smugness, and a regular reminder of the respective Cup count, at every opportunity from my rabid, Hawthorn loving missus 😑

Lives and breathes them...... can quote stats, jumper numbers etc ad nauseum.

I agree with you re: the game. From the first bounce you could see they wanted it more, and their skills were executed far better.

They beat us to the ball consistently, and our tackling was pathetic.

I don’t buy this ‘they wanted it more’ garbage that gets spat out every time we lose. There was no lack of effort from us yesterday.

What I did notice is that around the contest our players were more focused on the opposition players than they were on the ball. That needs to change.

I don’t buy this ‘they wanted it more’ garbage that gets spat out every time we lose. There was no lack of effort from us yesterday.

What I did notice is that around the contest our players were more focused on the opposition players than they were on the ball. That needs to change.

We were more worried about what they were doing because they routinely beat us to the ball, pushed us off it, swatted us away, ran to space and used it much better.

We cracked under the pressure, fumbled, missed targets, and shanked kicks on goal.

They were on from the opening bounce, and had 3 goals on the board before we even touched it.

They wanted our scalp,and they got it.

We were more worried about what they were doing because they routinely beat us to the ball, pushed us off it, swatted us away, ran to space and used it much better.

We cracked under the pressure, fumbled, missed targets, and shanked kicks on goal.

They were on from the opening bounce, and had 3 goals on the board before we even touched it.

Cracking under pressure and fumbling isn’t a lack of effort. And when the contest was 50-50 we weren’t ‘beaten to the ball’ we squared just about everything and then as I said, Hawthorn were more focussed on the loose ball once it came out of the contest, we seemed to be guarding players not the ball.

None of this has anything to do with effort

Cracking under pressure and fumbling isn’t a lack of effort. And when the contest was 50-50 we weren’t ‘beaten to the ball’ we squared just about everything and then as I said, Hawthorn were more focussed on the loose ball once it came out of the contest, we seemed to be guarding players not the ball.

None of this has anything to do with effort

Hawthorn were more focused from the get go imo - you could see it in their eyes, their attack on the contest.

They worked harder, and that created space, which gave them time to execute better.

We were constantly harassed and pressured, which created errors, and our tackling was as limp as I've seen it for a while.

The moment Selwood was run down in the middle of a paddock epitomised the game for me.

Hawthorn were more focused from the get go imo - you could see it in their eyes, their attack on the contest.

They worked harder, and that created space, which gave them time to execute better.

We were constantly harassed and pressured, which created errors, and our tackling was as limp as I've seen it for a while.

The moment Selwood was run down in the middle of a paddock epitomised the game for me.

I thought we hassled them a lot but they were cleaner with it, I do agree about sticking tackles we fell off a lot but again that’s a skill and execution error not to do with endeavour. I don’t think our communication was at its best we often had two players going for the same ball or opponent.

I thought we hassled them a lot but they were cleaner with it, I do agree about sticking tackles we fell off a lot but again that’s a skill and execution error not to do with endeavour. I don’t think our communication was at its best we often had two players going for the same ball or opponent.

I agree that, by and large, the tackling problem is largely a skill and execution failure.

But there's also an aspect of tackling that is borne of desire. When they tackled us you could see they wanted to hit us hard, bury us, take the wind out of us. By comparison, we would half-heartedly fling an arm out and then fall away with the slightest shrug of their shoulders.

To me that comes down to how bad you want it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's how it goes- no doubt, NM will also be after the same impetus after their poor game.

The tackle count was 53-65 in our favour.

As Kingy said in summary......'we're saying they (the Cats) just aren't tough enough.......they've got to start getting their hands dirty again. They can't leave it all up to Dangerfield'.

We have no midfielders in the Top 35 for contested possessions, and we're giving the opposition an extra 14 looks at goal because of our poor work in D50.

Don’t agree with your first sentence. The team who wants it more always wins.

Completely agree with the second sentence.

If the first part was true coaches would have one job and one job only: motivate their players, and team lists, tactics, game play, would all be irrelevant. We all know those things ARE relevant

The mix of personnel, tactics, game plan etc are indeed all relevant, but so is the attitude of the individual / playing group on any given day, and how willing they are to 'crack in'.

As Kingy pointed out in the link above, we're just not tough enough, and need to get back to getting our hands dirty (working harder) rather than sitting back and waiting for Danger to do it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back