geelongs contested ball woes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
only once in 2022 has geelong won the contested ball count.. and that was against essendon when we played our best footy.

since then, we have drawn level once with the contested footy, and lost it during the three other games, two of them by 20+ contested disposals, and marginally lost it by only 1 against brisbane.

these numbers are concerning and a trend we need to address if we are to improve.

discuss thoughts about why we are struggling in this department.

We have no balanced mids. Either ultra defensive like Parfitt/MOC or one way runners like Dangerfield. We need Knevitt or Holmes to come on in a hurry. Stephens/Narkle are one way runners who will likely make the problem worse.

only once in 2022 has geelong won the contested ball count.. and that was against essendon when we played our best footy.

since then, we have drawn level once with the contested footy, and lost it during the three other games, two of them by 20+ contested disposals, and marginally lost it by only 1 against brisbane.

these numbers are concerning and a trend we need to address if we are to improve.

discuss thoughts about why we are struggling in this department.

Hardly a big issue. We belted Essendon in contested possession, drew equal with Sydney, and lost by one possession to Brisbane.

We’ve only been soundly beaten in that area by Collingwood and Hawthorn. We’ve got bigger concerns.

CP has always been a bellwether for us. We have been strong over the years in this area and when we lose inevitably it corresponds to a poor CP showing.

It would be great to get a more granular breakdown of which type of CPs we are falling down.

Contested ball frequently involves the mid field since they're always hunting the ball and competing at stoppages. Our mid-field is no longer A-grade. Guthrie isn't hurting the opposition. The skipper and Danger are past their prime.
Duncan is not a contested beast. O'Connor is question mark. Dal is too slow. Higgins is hardly a contested beast. Parfitt is, but has limitations on the outside.

It's a shame - though very Geelong - that Willis and Kroeger are injured.

Cooper S should now play - he's 21, been training for yonks, is doing well enough in the VFL.

Contested ball frequently involves the mid field since they're always hunting the ball and competing at stoppages. Our mid-field is no longer A-grade. Guthrie isn't hurting the opposition. The skipper and Danger are past their prime.
Duncan is not a contested beast. O'Connor is question mark. Dal is too slow. Higgins is hardly a contested beast. Parfitt is, but has limitations on the outside.

It's a shame - though very Geelong - that Willis and Kroeger are injured.

Cooper S should now play - he's 21, been training for yonks, is doing well enough in the VFL.
But we had the same number of clearances as them, which doesn't suggest the midfield got smashed in that area - and if you look at the CP numbers, their top five are midfielders and had 59; our top five were midfielders (I guess depending on how you classify Tuohy) and had 54. I think it's guys at either end of the ground where the real difference is.

But we had the same number of clearances as them, which doesn't suggest the midfield got smashed in that area - and if you look at the CP numbers, their top five are midfielders and had 59; our top five were midfielders (I guess depending on how you classify Tuohy) and had 54. I think it's guys at either end of the ground where the real difference is.
The data supports your theory pretty well. Red shows 30% down on average. Green shows 30% above. Parfitt and Holmes were down but the rest mostly forwards.

D891A6AD-D691-4972-A7F9-FF470B1B4F5C.jpeg

Contested ball has a wide range of inputs. Is there one we are failing in?
CP has always been a bellwether for us. We have been strong over the years in this area and when we lose inevitably it corresponds to a poor CP showing.

It would be great to get a more granular breakdown of which type of CPs we are falling down.

my thoughts exactly
The data supports your theory pretty well. Red shows 30% down on average. Green shows 30% above. Parfitt and Holmes were down but the rest mostly forwards.

View attachment 1377904

Just wish what type of CP... Marks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contested ball has a wide range of inputs. Is there one we are failing in?

my thoughts exactly

Just wish what type of CP... Marks?
We won contested marks 10-5 so not that. We lost free kicks by 7 so that was a factor. But the bulk is loose ball or hard ball gets.

Our finishing in front of goal is a lot bigger concern.

Yes.

Scoring shots this season:

R1 - Geelong 38, Essendon 17 = won by 66
R2 - Geelong 27, Sydney 22 = lost by 30
R3 - Geelong 24, Collingwood 26 = won by 13
R4 - Geelong 25, Brisbane 15 = won by 10
R5 - Geelong 25, Hawthorn 22 = lost by 12

We had 8 more scoring shots in our two losses but lost by a combined 42 points.

10 more scoring shots than Brisbane but didn't have the game won until the dying minutes.

It's a real issue.

Yes.

Scoring shots this season:

R1 - Geelong 38, Essendon 17 = won by 66
R2 - Geelong 27, Sydney 22 = lost by 30
R3 - Geelong 24, Collingwood 26 = won by 13
R4 - Geelong 25, Brisbane 15 = won by 10
R5 - Geelong 25, Hawthorn 22 = lost by 12

We had 8 more scoring shots in our two losses but lost by a combined 42 points.

10 more scoring shots than Brisbane but didn't have the game won until the dying minutes.

It's a real issue.

Our finishing in front of goal is a lot bigger concern.
Yup. Hawkins missed easy ones, Cameron twice got too close to the man on the mark taking a shot from outside 50 plus a botched snap on the right side for a right footer, O'Connor running clear in on goal hit the post.

Too many shots at goal that other clubs hit 90% of the time and we were atrocious in that regard. Hawkins snap that his missed takes us from going 2 goals clear at a crucial time, Hawks take it down the other end from the kick out and score a goal, win the next clearance and score again. Go from being 2 goals up to behind.

Honestly Scotts selections killed us. Kolo as a sub in the wet is horrendous, absolutely should have been a mid. Hawks nailed that, Worpel came on and was second highest in the team for tackles, 14 possessions, was in a lot of the big contests.

Yep, and no defenders above average and three below.

Some of our fellows had very poor metres gained figures, well down on their usual efforts. Guthrie is a good example if my memory is correct - which it may not be given my years - which tends to support my belief that he is not hurting the opposition.

Yup. Hawkins missed easy ones, Cameron twice got too close to the man on the mark taking a shot from outside 50 plus a botched snap on the right side for a right footer, O'Connor running clear in on goal hit the post.

Too many shots at goal that other clubs hit 90% of the time and we were atrocious in that regard. Hawkins snap that his missed takes us from going 2 goals clear at a crucial time, Hawks take it down the other end from the kick out and score a goal, win the next clearance and score again. Go from being 2 goals up to behind.

Honestly Scotts selections killed us. Kolo as a sub in the wet is horrendous, absolutely should have been a mid. Hawks nailed that, Worpel came on and was second highest in the team for tackles, 14 possessions, was in a lot of the big contests.
It's a combination of our misses and the goals we concede. We give away way too many goals from dumb free kicks and stupid decisions and they are often in positions where we are relying more on luck that the opposition player misses and that luck hasn't worked at all. 68.71 for vs 66.36 against is a mammoth difference. Collingwood was the only team that has kicked poorly against us and they still ended up 13.13.

It's a combination of our misses and the goals we concede. We give away way too many goals from dumb free kicks and stupid decisions and they are often in positions where we are relying more on luck that the opposition player misses and that luck hasn't worked at all. 68.71 for vs 66.36 against is a mammoth difference. Collingwood was the only team that has kicked poorly against us and they still ended up 13.13.
Goal kicking accuracy goes in cycles. Once it swings in our favour again, and Hawkins and Cameron are usually good kicks, our performances will look much better.

Kolo as sub actually worked out as Henry, and Bews were both injured and out of the game. Not usually a Kolo fan but he looked assured I thought when he came on.

Wish I could say the same about Stewie..had a nightmare last quarter.

Got our work cut out when we get brushed aside with ease, and our tackles hit as hard as wet paper.
Hawks played tough football. Down and dirty. Not our go.

I feel dirty for giving the scum any form of praise but they worked hard and wanted it more than we did.

I had to cop s**t from the missus cause her dad was a huge hawks fan and her uncle is too. So i cop it when they beat us. I’d rather lose to lolnorf, it would be less shameful than losing to the poo and wee filth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back