No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if it were Collingwood in this boat. I'd imagine that tune'd be rather different.
But it's not.

I get it sucks for North but he's not wrong. If you were to redesign the AFL tomorrow, there wouldn't be as many teams in Vic. St Kilda and North would likely be first out the door.

The one thing going for North is they're in a strong financial position - outside of that, everything else is seemingly problematic.

I get it sucks for North but he's not wrong. If you were to redesign the AFL tomorrow, there wouldn't be as many teams in Vic. St Kilda and North would likely be first out the door.

Exactly. It's a classic "not in my neighbourhood/not my team" situation.

For the good of the AFL and being a proper national competition, at least 2 teams should get out of Victoria. But I don't want it to be MY team.

If the Saints were suddenly the Northern Crocs (out of Darwin) and the Roos merged with the Dogs to own the west of Melbourne, with the Tassie Devils coming in it'd at least start to look more like a national comp.

But there's realities of the market/s (and money) that makes it very difficult. Unlike a bigger market like the US, where franchises move all over the place, there just aren't that many places that would adequately support an AFL club. It'll help when the NRL folds as even the rusted on fans realise it's a toilet of a sport.

... all of which is something someone would say when it isn't their team on the line.

What if a consequence for us being historically terrible in 2018 was a renewed push to put us in Perth or Adelaide as a third team, would people be so matter of fact about it?

The end of this particular discussion is the elimination of a foundation club. The AFL was able to close the doors on Fitzroy only because Fitzroy was unable to justify financial control of their own situation; Nth would not be in the same boat and there would be more than enough money to go around to challenge any compulsion in court.

This is not a fight the AFL wants. It's why they've decided on a poisoning of the well over time rather than a definitive push; they need Nth to choose to move or be forced extraneously to choose to close their doors with no other position available.

I dont really get the argument in regards to there being too many teams in Victoria and for the game to be truely national we need a team in all states. Firstly states and even countries for that matter are defined by made up lines on a map, they can be re-drawn, changed, absorbed, having a team in Darwin so there is a team in NT wouldn’t make the game any more national than having a team in Broome or Cairns.

Eddie’s idea about North Melbourne relocating further North isn’t a bad one, if he is talking about North having some sort of Partnership with Bendigo, the Bulldogs deal with Ballarat is reported at close to $1M per year for 5 years, in exchange for three games per year.

North could get access to the Bendigo zone for NGA academy, they could partner up and have a joint VFL team and put roots in the area, Bendigos population is at 128,000 compared to Darwins 148,000, so I’m not sure why anyone would want to set up a team up North when you can get access to a larger population pool by partnering up with a town closer to home.

This weekend gone, my daughter played her first ever AFL game of the Eden Whalers. She loved it. Took a couple of marks and had a few kicks in defense. Coach was glowing on her effort and performance.

One proud Dad.

I was thinking about the Sam Draper comments about Bev. What an absolute tool, even though it's probably true.

After the reenactment of the crows game, it appears he is aiming for a weekly tool of the week award...

I was thinking about the Sam Draper comments about Bev. What an absolute tool, even though it's probably true.

After the reenactment of the crows game, it appears he is aiming for a weekly tool of the week award...
It's poor anyway but especially from someone who's club has chronically underperformed for 2 decades...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you like a bit of footy history...

I still reckon those Football Park Vic/S.A games were the best footy I ever watched. G.A.S, Sticks, D Jarman. Amazing footy.

How did you go?
Hi Aph yes we went with the digital membership I was able to set up / sign in quickly my sister however had issues… mainly because she had an existing account.. so to and fro fro from Kayo help which is a total shemozzle
Since then she’s had a heap of scam calls all timed when I sent for up… Kayo ! What alternative do us consumers have !

This weekend gone, my daughter played her first ever AFL game of the Eden Whalers. She loved it. Took a couple of marks and had a few kicks in defense. Coach was glowing on her effort and performance.

One proud Dad.
Hey BluStreak have you moved from Canberra down to the South Coast ?

18 teams is insanity so yeah 19 teams is absolute insanity, hopefully the Tassie bid fails.

Port and Freo were right to come in as expansion clubs in footy states.

GWS and CG have been disasters and never ending money pits, go out to Western Sydney no one gives a toss about the AFL.

Dogs/Kangas should have merged and Dees/Saints should have merged.

Then we would have had a perfect 14 team competition.

And in addition the standard would be so much higher pushing all that talent into 14 teams.

There are too many teams in the AFL. Please remove 3. I am not a crackpot.
Yeah i think a 16 team comp is about right, there just isnt enough AFL level players to support 18 or 19 teams.

The Tasmanian Labor Party has backflipped on its resistance against a new stadium for the island state, giving the AFL's expansion hopes a much-needed boost.
The Labor Party had been opposed to the AFL-backed project before the recent state election loss, however, under the new leadership of party leader Dean Winter, the stadium is gaining more support

If Bevo is dumped by the Kennel, is he worth considering as some one for our footy department and where would he best fit
Not sure he will be too popular with the players.

I know of one well known former player who thinks he's an absolute prick. Bevo broke the news to him about getting delisted with an SMS.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back