General CROWS talk ~ topical tidbits ...the thread for when you can't find a thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re begging for a loan with an uncertain financial model going forward and nothing to secure it against. It’s more what the bank does with us.
If you get a loan through the AFL they control how you spend money. You have to submit a weekly budget which either gets approved or not, that's why we've gone through Bendigo Bank instead. It allows the club to maintain how they spend their money during this period.

If you get a loan through the AFL they control how you spend money. You have to submit a weekly budget which either gets approved or not, that's why we've gone through Bendigo Bank instead. It allows the club to maintain how they spend their money during this period.
When you consider they did that to some clubs already before this, it won't be a great look.

The AFL will be well within their rights to tell OneClub to flick the Magpies. As much as I hate the Maggies I don't wanna see them die.

How do we know our loan is of higher interest ?? West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn aren't taking the money either.

They must be stupid too
West Coast and Collingwood both have north of $40M in the bank .. not sure about the other 2. My understanding was they were relying of cash reserves as well

Was just looking back at our results last year...given we are extremely unlikely to play a game at Adelaide Oval, does anyone else think it is possible we may not win a game in 2020...especially given since beating Richmond last year we have only beaten Gold Coast and St Kilda!!!

Was just looking back at our results last year...given we are extremely unlikely to play a game at Adelaide Oval, does anyone else think it is possible we may not win a game in 2020...especially given since beating Richmond last year we have only beaten Gold Coast and St Kilda!!!
I think there is a good possibility (not necessarily a probability) that we won't win a game. Also good probability we won't lose another though.

Pinched! :grinning: Right colour scheme as well.

home-depot-119-gif.868017

Fine by me, play the kids, get pick 1.

Fine by me, play the kids, get pick 1.
I really think we'll have competition in a race to the bottom. There will be a handful of clubs competing, but (not ignoring individual pride and competitiveness) a lot of players and teams would have already written this year off.

I really think we'll have competition in a race to the bottom. There will be a handful of clubs competing, but (not ignoring individual pride and competitiveness) a lot of players and teams would have already written this year off.
I can see a late season hot streak boosting us up to 11th

I'd suggest they would be struggling with their revenue streams due to the fact they can't open their off site venues.

What we know about those clubs, with the possible exception of the Eagles due to their new facility, is that they've got strong cash reserves and have for a long time.

We are a club who is debt free and have been for some time. Getting a handout from the AFL isn't necessary

Are we debt free, I thought we still owed against the westpac centre.

Exactly. If the money is being spent on the imposed player cap and footy debt cap, then the AFL will just roll out the rubber stamp. Where the club is wasting money that’s unrelated to footy, the AFL will ask strong questions. It tells you in which direction cash is moving with our other interests. And/or that there’s s**t trucks of cash being wasted outside of footy ops and player salaries. Why would we be concerned about AFL oversight if we weren’t wasting money anywhere? We’re choosing to pay more in interest to keep our management financials hidden. And you th8nk that’s normal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast and Collingwood both have north of $40M in the bank .. not sure about the other 2. My understanding was they were relying of cash reserves as well

there you go hey shorty, those 2 don’t need to borrow. They can pay stripped down TPP and footy cap for over 24 months without any further revenue whatsoever. So now just Hawks and Tigers to look at.

Exactly. If the money is being spent on the imposed player cap and footy debt cap, then the AFL will just roll out the rubber stamp. Where the club is wasting money that’s unrelated to footy, the AFL will ask strong questions. It tells you in which direction cash is moving with our other interests. And/or that there’s s**t trucks of cash being wasted outside of footy ops and player salaries. Why would we be concerned about AFL oversight if we weren’t wasting money anywhere? We’re choosing to pay more in interest to keep our management financials hidden. And you th8nk that’s normal?
Lol you have got to be kidding. Thats like the bank telling you "Dont you go spending money on alcohol on your card"

Having the league watch every single move is not what you want.

Lol you have got to be kidding. Thats like the bank telling you "Dont you go spending money on alcohol on your card"

Knowing the AFL's ability to be intrusive and the in-administration levels of oversight it's been suggested they will want, a club would be insane to choose to have them overseeing their finances.

The AFL will always manipulate to get what they want. And the evidence is they would have no plans to ensure it benefits us.

It's ridiculous to see the club haters here twist themselves in knots to make an argument against independence, even if it means pretending they believe the AFL would be fair and arms length. They know that's not true, but it doesn't suit their bitter narrative.

How do we know our loan is of higher interest ?? West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn aren't taking the money either.

They must be stupid too

Just to bust your flawed belief above, our scenarios are completely different. Hawks and Pies already mentioned. Couldn’t find 2019 annual report for us, so below is from 2018. Add the reported $2.5m to cash reserves to make $4.5m and we‘re clearly in a vastly different position of financial strength than the 4 clubs that you mentioned. So my answer is no, they’re not stupid, they just don’t need to borrow money as they have enough cash reserves to manage their way through. And before you listed those clubs, you should have done some research, because we’re not in the same conversation as them. We’re no Port Adelaide, but even if fully fledged Kristof mode, you should have noticed something a bit similar when you put those 4 clubs in the same sentence. Let’s do it again, Pies, Eagles, Hawthorn and Richmond. 3 of the most well known, rolled gold, financially secure clubs and a recent juggernaut off the back of 3 huge years with a known enormous supporter base.

And, I never said we were stupid. I’ve said we don’t want anyone knowing how much cash leaks from our footy earnings to other operations. If we didn’t have anything to hide, we’d just take the low interest loan on offer courtesy of it being secured against Etihad stadium. Just think about it for more than 2 seconds.

Hawks $30m plus $7m in real assets less $7m in payables. $7m borrowings.
Tigers $26m less $9m creditors, $9m lease liability
Crows $2m less $4.5m creditors, $6m debt to SANFL - $2.5m EBITDA in 2019

I thought it impossible to outdo Kristof in the blind love stakes fir every Crows decision. But, by gum old chum, you’ve done it here.

They won’t be watching every move, that’s stupidity. They’ll just ensure that we’re not using finite resources chasing rainbows or they’ll identify potential overspends outside of the footy dept. what you’re refusing to see is that the AFL already controls what we spend on our core reason for existence. Everything football related is controlled via the 2 spending caps. Where they have no control is exactly where we could use some independent review given we‘ve had a poorly performing board for a fair while.

Why would it bother you or the club if the AFL looked at how much we spend in the admin side of our business and whether our 3 outside footy revenue streams are performing soundly? If they’re putting funds into the system, as you choose to believe they are, the AFL isn’t going to pressure us to cut them back. It’s only if admin is bloated and/or we’re carrying cash draining business interests where the AFL might force our hand.

and again, just for clarity. The AFL’s firm hand of control is already up our backside when it comes to how much we can spend on our football operations. Why give a crap outside of that, what have you to hide?

I think we just got beaten by our competition in the first round.

The AFL will allow you to spend what your previous financials allow. If you're a a club who has a relatively poor record your belt will be tighter.

Yeah Aka, Hall cost you jobs after footy, not your big mouth :rolleyes:
Yeah, it was more trash talking Jim Stynes right after he died of cancer

The AFL will allow you to spend what your previous financials allow. If you're a a club who has a relatively poor record your belt will be tighter.

If our other interests are performing as strongly as they have us believe and we’re a fiscally well run club, then we’d have nothing to fear by accepting the cheaper interest rate loan courtesy of the AFLs secured asset and allowing them oversight of our financials. We know footy spend is already controlled, so you can’t have reservations about AFL control there. I’d be interested to know what kind of decision that the AFL might force us into concerns you. No

Remove this Banner Ad

Back