Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Favourite Bernie moment was when we were garbage and had to play Adelaide over in Adelaide when they were quite good.

He went straight to Dangerfield and scragged him all day in front of a hostile crowd. We lost but played really well given the gulf in talent between the two teams. Made me proud to be a Melbourne supporter after 10~ years of being a joke.

I remember Danger sooking to the umpires all day.

Favourite Bernie moment was when we were garbage and had to play Adelaide over in Adelaide when they were quite good.

He went straight to Dangerfield and scragged him all day in front of a hostile crowd. We lost but played really well given the gulf in talent between the two teams. Made me proud to be a Melbourne supporter after 10~ years of being a joke.

The other great thing about Bernies game that day was him winning a great clearance and kicking in the wrong direction. Hilarious stuff. I loved it

I was at that game.

During the game I couldn't work out why Vince was getting boo'ed so hard (mind you my mate and I had knocked back a lot of beers). It wasn't until later that night watching the highlights we worked out why the crowd was so hostile towards him

My main memory from that game was Watts shirking a marking contest in the middle of the ground and Taylor Walker absolutely giving it to him
It's great cause even 5 years ago I remember thinking he'd get pinged for it because that games soft.

Imagine how much s**t he'd cop now for the same game

fu** yeah that might be one of my favourite all time Melbourne games individually. What a legend.
Add to that, in the last couple of seconds of the video Kent violently throws a crows player to the ground to then just strolls off. What a Kent!

He could have been anything Bernie, certainly wasn’t lacking the talent. One of those ones where I’d take one year of Bernie over Matt Crouch’s entire career any day

With bruce retiring, other than the 'the dees are gonna be something' this was one of my fav calls from a melbourne perspective

I have this nasty feeling that out MCG home game will be moved so Essendon and hawthron can pull a bigger crowd
Essendon Hawthorn can move to the Sunday and play at the G. North and Port can move to the Saturday. Simple fix

If they are going to go down the road of "Crowd Maximisation" then maybe the opening match of the season should be Tigers v Pies . Why the Blues get it is a mystery , maybe some one should suggest this to that SEN flog .

If they are going to go down the road of "Crowd Maximisation" then maybe the opening match of the season should be Tigers v Pies . Why the Blues get it is a mystery , maybe some one should suggest this to that SEN flog .
Round 1 is the only time there's hype for Carlton until their late season surge to get folks on the bandwagon again for next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 is the only time there's hype for Carlton until their late season surge to get folks on the bandwagon again for next season.
You actually forgot to break round 1 down though.

There's the first half, that Richmond usually get 30-40 points ahead and breaks all that spirit again.

Then there is the second half comeback where Carlton get within 18-25 points after Richmond take the foot off the gas. This is usually enough to leave those same deflated blues fans optimistic and "just take out that slow second quarter and we matched Richmond, we can definitely match the best teams!"

Typically leads into another week of optimism, especially when some hyped up campaigner kicks 3 second half junk goals for the media to annoying him the next future star, before getting blown out in round 2 by Freo or north.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is why Carlton should be allowed to kick the season off every year.

so what is the deal for our home game with regards to seats for members?

If you have reserved seating, do you get those seats? do you have to book in advance if you are a member?
I'd say you'd need to book purely for COVID tracing reasons, but I'd imagine they'll cross the members allocation bridge when they come to it, which you'd think it will come to given how long its been since anyone has seen footy from the G

I genuinely enjoy this routine each year.
I genuinely hate it.

It's been "tradition" for barely a moment yet it's treated as sacrosanct. It's rarely an interesting result and it rewards a team who have been truly hideous for most of the last two decades, while teams who have genuinely earned prime-time slots are neglected, further entrenching the inequality between the rich and the poor clubs.

Also, * Carlton.

Even for Dees R1 games I like playing a different team each year, makes it more interesting even if it’s usually an interstate side. Don’t really see the appeal for traditional games except for the ones where the two clubs actually started off the tradition of playing on a given day, like QB, ANZAC eve/day and Easter Monday, which repeated R1 clashes certainly do not qualify as

I genuinely hate it.

It's been "tradition" for barely a moment yet it's treated as sacrosanct. It's rarely an interesting result and it rewards a team who have been truly hideous for most of the last two decades, while teams who are have genuinely earned prime-time slots are neglected, further entrenching the inequality between the rich and the poor clubs.

Also, fu** Carlton.
For clarity, I was referring to the routine of "this year is Carlton's year" before a reality check at half time

Handing them the first game of the year despite constant poor-mediocre performances year on year is, and always has been absurd.

I genuinely hate it.

It's been "tradition" for barely a moment yet it's treated as sacrosanct. It's rarely an interesting result and it rewards a team who have been truly hideous for most of the last two decades, while teams who have genuinely earned prime-time slots are neglected, further entrenching the inequality between the rich and the poor clubs.

Also, fu** Carlton.
i'd agree with you but the AFL have persisted with the s**t we've served up on QB for longer. I mean * carlton but we really can't throw stones. Plus when it started richmond where the ones getting reammed at the start of the year

i'd agree with you but the AFL have persisted with the sh*t we've served up on QB for longer. I mean fu** carlton but we really can't throw stones. Plus when it started richmond where the ones getting reammed at the start of the year
I'd be happy for all the blockbusters to be rotated to be honest.

Fair call we have been terrible for most QB clashes, but at least we're not the first game of the year. It's such an uninspiring start- a replay of the GF would be great IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back