Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING NEWS:

The off-season sucks.
Pure coincidence that the Philadelphia Eagles are rather ordinary this NFL season . Anyway Melbournians are getting ready to come out of lockdown , hopefully the last time for the city folks . And hopefully a gathering at the MCG sometime late Nov for fans and players to really celebrate our success this season .

Pure coincidence that the Philadelphia Eagles are rather ordinary this NFL season . Anyway Melbournians are getting ready to come out of lockdown , hopefully the last time for the city folks . And hopefully a gathering at the MCG sometime late Nov for fans and players to really celebrate our success this season .

Mate, I pray every week for us to attain “ordinary” status.

EDIT: Thrilled to hear better times ahead for my Melbournian brothers and sisters.

One month ago today… it still feels a bit unreal. I’ve watched the game however many times since and there’s still no sign of that third quarter onslaught coming. Three goals in a minute got us right back in the game after Bontempelli snapped. Three goals in a minute just before three quarter time took us from a narrow lead to a decisive one.

One month ago today… it still feels a bit unreal. I’ve watched the game however many times since and there’s still no sign of that third quarter onslaught coming. Three goals in a minute got us right back in the game after Bontempelli snapped. Three goals in a minute just before three quarter time took us from a narrow lead to a decisive one.
Biggest lead of the match too. Anyone else had a period that they thought the afl will strip us off the premiership fisted forever thoughts.

Too early for sunshine staters to fly down. But it's cool. Loving the content coming out of the club, watch on the commute every day and just blows my mind to remember we won the premiership!

Every time I watch the replay I shudder at the 2 centre clearances the Dogs were gifted through soft (incorrect IMO) free kicks to Macrae and Libba immediately after our first burst of 3 goals to get the game back on terms.
If they bomb it forward and kick a couple of cheap ones to go into 3/4 time in front, who knows what could have happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the moment it changed was when Hannan (?) got a free kick and then tried to play on with a handball to McCrea (?) running past . Between them they botched it and the ball went up to the wing where Maxie got some carpet burn on his head . The rest as they say is history .
Sums up his career. Completely forgot that Hannan even played.

Plays 1 standout game game then goes missing for for the next 3 weeks. That was his career at Melbourne and now at the dogs.

His preliminary final was impressive against Port but come grand final day he was just a training cone.

Every time I watch the replay I shudder at the 2 centre clearances the Dogs were gifted through soft (incorrect IMO) free kicks to Macrae and Libba immediately after our first burst of 3 goals to get the game back on terms.
If they bomb it forward and kick a couple of cheap ones to go into 3/4 time in front, who knows what could have happened.
Lucky our backline is elite :devil:

Was one of these when Viney barely bumped a low Dog with his chest with arms in the air? That seemed like a weak call.

I cbf looking it up but I dont think there are too many seasons where a team beat Geelong 3 times.

...like us!
Wild that we beat them three times this year for a total of five wins, 16 losses and a draw since R6, 2006. That’s a full home and away season! Don’t even want to think about what the percentages would be from those 22 games.

Uninterestingly Richmond have a six win, 16 loss record v Geelong since R9, 2006. Of course they don’t have to go to KP, and we broke our losing streak in 2015 before they broke theirs in the 2017 QF (theirs started with a 157 point loss in 2007 which IIRC was also the beginning of Geelong’s dominant run). Three of their six wins (QF, PF, GF) and two of our five (EF, PF) have been in finals. Our last finals loss to Geelong was in 2005 and Richmond’s was in 1995. Geelong have probably played more than double the number of finals us and the Tigers have played combined in that time.

Last edited:
* a Richmond-Melbourne GF in 2018 would have been epic. We should have played them in finals in 2017 and 2020, save for us shitting the bed. Reckon a Dees-Tigers GF would have been a lot of people’s tips pre-2019 too. Instead we’ll probably end up passing through this era without having played them in a final since 1941.

The 70s and 80s were basically just the same dominant sides playing in GFs and it’s thinned out since then with the national comp.

80s: dominated by the Hawks
1991: Hawthorn beat WCE (2 in 3 flags 1992-1994) in GF
1997: Adelaide (B2B 1997/1998) beat WCE in QF
2002: Brisbane beat Adelaide in QF
2004: Brisbane beat Geelong in PF
2008/2011/2013/2014/2015: various Geelong v Hawthorn finals, 2-3 record
2018: Richmond beat Hawks in QF
2022: ?

Do we have to play off the reigning dominant team to become a dynasty?

I reckon a Melbourne vs Richmond gf would have been like a Richmond vs gws 2019 gf an absolute stinker. The 2018 gf was a blessing in disguise, should have been Richmond vs west Coast and that would have been a thumping but Richmond choked and we end one of the best grand finals in 30 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back