news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1- Ive trained with Dan Kelly, he is one of the nicest guys you would ever meet, my humblebrag is he almost broke my nose in sparring (this was years ago when he was an even worse striker haha)

2- Stoked for Whittaker but still seething they didnt just make that fight the main event for the Melbourne card.

Guillard was the last one I believe and that happened about 8 years ago. Since that has happened he's been controlled on the ground by a number of grapplers in fights (Guida, Stevenson, Henderson, RDA) and none of those guys would be on par with Khabib's grappling IMO. Subs off the back are becoming harder and harder to come by, so I don't give him much chance if that fight happens.
And Guillard dived into the choke from the other side of the cage from memory. It was horrible.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but that does sound a lot like Melvin. From memory he was dominating on the feet before getting subbed.
Yep he was and then just leapt towards Diaz with his neck outstretched. 5 seconds later it was all over.

Nate vs Khabib would be cool. Over 5 rounds would be more interesting. Khabib could get tired and then who knows. If it's 3 rounds then I'd expect Khabib to win an easy decision. Over 5 I'd expect that too, but it gets less clear to me.

No way it happens imo. Nate's not coming back to fight Khabib. Nate and Nick are only coming back if they get huge paydays and I don't think Khabib gets Nate that. Given the amount of money WME-IMG need to make, they might eventually come begging for the return of some Stockton slaps to the octagon.

Khabib showed some really good improvements in that fight with Michael Johnson. I guess they were there against Horcher too, but you couldn't really tell at the time if they were improvements or just that he was facing a lower level guy. He's way better at controlling you and at beating the crap out of you. Given how good Khabib already was, one of those improvements would have been huge, and he added both. If he fought Trujillo again I think Trujillo's in for a way worse night than last time.

Khabib's inability to keep guys like Trujillo down made me think McGregor stood a really good chance against Khabib. He still stands a really good chance because the fight starts on the feet but if Khabib gets him down McGregor would be in all sorts of trouble until the round ends.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/caffein...rohibited-substance-list-20170308-gutzbu.html
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ore-complete-ban-on-corticosteroids/98905454/

WADA's thinking of putting caffeine back on the prohibited substance list. Also looking at a complete ban on corticosteroids.

A lot of people are such cheerleaders for anti-doping that they won't care. They think WADA knows what they're doing all the time lol. Seems like WADA wants to look like they're doing s**t so they're willing to ban drugs for no good reason.

I find it funny that a lot of people who cheer on advanced drug testing don't care about technological advancements that create instruments that are used to improve performance. If it's not a drug they're fine with it even though the end result is the same thing.

It's worse for UFC fighters than most others because they have no say in anything to do with the USADA deal. I look forward to a UFC fighter getting 6 months for pissing hot for caffeine. The funny thing is that caffeine deserves to be banned given some of the things that are banned (what Machida got 18 months for, for instance, and weed).

It seems like anti-doping is trending towards some insane s**t to me. Feels like they'll want to test to make sure you haven't eaten too many carrots at some stage. "This dirty cheater had vitamin A readings through the roof!"

Last edited:
  • Champ Stipe Miocic vs. Junior Dos Santos – for heavyweight title
  • Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Jessica Andrade – for strawweight title
  • Demian Maia vs. Jorge Masvidal
  • Ben Rothwell vs. Fabricio Werdum
  • Eddie Alvarez vs. Dustin Poirier
  • Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis
  • Enrique Barzola vs. Gabriel Benitez
  • Jarjis Danho vs. Dmitry Poberezhets
  • David Branch vs. Krzysztof Jotko
  • Frankie Edgar vs. Yair Rodriguez
Where the **** did this card come from? Didn't even know half of these had been announced.

Rothwell's pissed hot again.

Second time for Big Ben. It was apparently related to a medical issue (at least that's what Rothwell claims), so it will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

One of those crappy MMA clickbait pages on facebook has said that Cain is stepping in for him against Werdum, but I can't find an official source for that. Also, I thought the back injury that made him pull out of the 207 card required surgery and he would be shelved for most of this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where the **** did this card come from? Didn't even know half of these had been announced.
now that is a card

if positive rothwell should be cut. i can understand sympathy for one offense but 2 is just too much
I don't agree. If he gets suspended then he'll face his punishment of X amount of months. The UFC partnered up with USADA to have an anti-doping system that is awfully invasive, especially when those being tested are independent contractors. A suspension added on to the already encountered lack of privacy would be harsh enough imo.

God damn. I think I'm probably going to buy this one, despite how rubbish the last couple of events have been.

That said, it usually only takes me 1-2 other fun looking fights to get me to buy a Joanna Champion card. She doesn't get appreciation she deserves - she is probably among the best 3-4 fighters in UFC at the moment.

God damn. I think I'm probably going to buy this one, despite how rubbish the last couple of events have been.

That said, it usually only takes me 1-2 other fun looking fights to get me to buy a Joanna Champion card. She doesn't get appreciation she deserves - she is probably among the best 3-4 fighters in UFC at the moment.
Yeah, Joanna is great. Tough fight for her though. Joanna got dropped by Gadelha and hurt badly by Karolina. Andrade might be a tougher fight than those two because she sort of combines some of their attributes. Probably hits as hard as Gadelha while being a better finisher and seems to have a much better gas tank. She works at a quick pace like Karolina. She's also there to be hit like Karolina though, so Joanna could wear her down over the duration of the fight. Great fight.

Just saw that Karolina/Gadelha is on this card too. Nice. Probably the top 4 strawweights all on the one card.

Yeah, Joanna is great. Tough fight for her though. Joanna got dropped by Gadelha and hurt badly by Karolina. Andrade might be a tougher fight than those two because she sort of combines some of their attributes. Probably hits as hard as Gadelha while being a better finisher and seems to have a much better gas tank. She works at a quick pace like Karolina. She's also there to be hit like Karolina though, so Joanna could wear her down over the duration of the fight. Great fight.

Just saw that Karolina/Gadelha is on this card too. Nice. Probably the top 4 strawweights all on the one card.

Nah, those two are on the Aldo-Holloway card aren't they? Or am I mistaken?

Also, for the WA posters amongst us, we're pretty damn close to cage legalisation now and therefore an event in Perth. Probably end of the year/start of next. No more fighting in the boxing ring at the Italian club either...

Also, for the WA posters amongst us, we're pretty damn close to cage legalisation now and therefore an event in Perth. Probably end of the year/start of next. No more fighting in the boxing ring at the Italian club either...
It happened again last weekend here on the 'Eternal MMA' card. :rolleyes:

Not to mention there was a TKO stoppage from a guy being finished with his head outside the ropes which to my understanding should've been reset inside the ring...

Last edited:
You're right. Not sure how I thought those fights were on the same card.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/1...-kelvin-gastelum-announced-for-ufc-212-in-rio

Not sure how i feel about this for Anderson... massive fight for Kelvin tho
I hate this fight. I expect Gastelum to run through Anderson, but I also thought Brunson was going to beat him so what do I know.

I'd much prefer to see Gastelum fight someone in their prime right now. He fights Kennedy who was coming off a long layoff and then he retired after the fight. Then he fights Belfort and now Silva. It's good for Gastelum. He's getting a pretty easy path to the top of the division and getting name wins as he goes.

I found these recent articles pretty interesting.

https://mmamediawatch.com/2017/03/14/fixing-mma-journalism-report/
https://mmamediawatch.com/2017/03/1...na-white-and-lorenzo-fertitta-but-never-sent/

Iole didn't want anyone taking money from UFC.com or Fox Sports to be allowed in the association. I find that pretty funny considering this whole thing got restarted because Helwani got banned. Helwani was being paid by the UFC. Maybe that wasn't exactly known at the time, but it was very clear his relationship with the UFC through his role at Fox Sports was unethical for a journalist.

It's not a surprise that after Helwani got reinstated this all died down. If Helwani could get banned then anyone could. It turns out Helwani couldn't get banned so everyone relaxed.

It's also not a surprise to see Dana White think the MMA media's job is to promote the UFC's fights.

http://mmatob.tumblr.com/

The MMA Tournament of Bad is pretty interesting.

Only found out a few of these just now.

Helwani saying Rogan disrespected CM Punk is hilarious. A UFC fighter being homeless is sad. Nate Diaz is a 170 pounder is funny. I see that both Dana White and McGregor have been pushing the Nate Diaz is a monster narrative pretty heavily lol.

How the hell did nobody realise the illegal knee in Means/Oliveira 1 was illegal? Ratner is the guy they specifically bring in to tell everyone the rules and he got it completely wrong. I think Ratner adds very little even when he's correct, but if he can't even get the rules right then what's the point of him being on the broadcasts?

Dana White's hilarious "we're promoting Nunes by not promoting her" is a good one. Dana White's "you're the best decision I ever made" to Rousey lol. Tim Kennedy's PTSD rant is so dumb.

Lorenzo Fertitta's painting of Rousey is really weird:

28246347942_8f908ea7f1_z.jpg

Sean Hannity's hilarious bullshit:

30258561962_186caf8597.jpg

Here's Hannity in 'action':
hannity3.gif

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back