Universal Love Gerard Whateley's Monologue Transcript

Remove this Banner Ad

I admit, I got a little emotional. Just thinking about what it was like during the Choc extension/Primus years, the hope we had pre Hinkley etc. I feel like experiencing things like this, the exciting footy, AO and it's 'din', being media darlings is so much more sweeter for those of us who stayed loyal and passionate when we were at our lowest.

I agree.I'll never forget those dark days its makes what we have now all the more special.I remember raving on how good our youngsters were and could be and getting laughed at for it, plus saying the club will turn.Makes what we have or potentially could have now that much more sweetee and the wraps like Gerard's so much more special.

It goes to show that most AFL supporters don't care if a commentator has never played a game of football in their life if they know what they are talking about. Gerard Whateley, Clinton Grybas (RIP) and Caroline Wilson had/have to be knowledgable to get a gig in the media. Some of these ex-AFL stars just think their past glory will be enough to earn them respect in the media. They don't research or make intelligent comments, let alone develop any charisma because they were All-Australian once or twice and that will be enough.

And then there's Gavin Wanganeen and his 11-year old son who's running around in the manner where you go seven years' time he'll be part of this.

Excuse me, brb for like, a good 15 minutes

I admit, I got a little emotional. Just thinking about what it was like during the Choc extension/Primus years, the hope we had pre Hinkley etc. I feel like experiencing things like this, the exciting footy, AO and it's 'din', being media darlings is so much more sweeter for those of us who stayed loyal and passionate when we were at our lowest.

I've been Port since a kid, back when we only had the Magpies. I only became a member though in 2009. The club gave me so much joy, and then the club was at it's darkest..I heard stories of how Port had experienced financial struggles before and how the fans rallied. So I thought it was time for me to make my contribution. I've since made about 20 friends and family join up as well..half a dozen this year included.

its hard not to get emotional with the changes that have been made on and off the field -literally brings a tear to my eye when thinking about it.

After our loss to GWS in 2012 I can remember thinking is this the begining of the end forour great club, we were in such a finacial state and i was thinking we would be lucky to get 15,000 to the remaining home games which would continue to make our finacial woes worse even with the handouts and bail outs that we were given.

I can remember either very late 2012/early 2013 listening to a radio interview with Ken, i was sitting in the carpark listening at the shops and couldnt bring myself to leave the car until the interview was over but i can remember feeling very confident that kenny was the bloke that would turn things around.

Even so the feeling around the club is so much better and so much more involving than when we were playing great footy in the early 2000's.

I F****n love this football club!

Amen.

The stunning turnaround in Port's fortunes is the best story out of footy in the past two years- and it's needed some good stories.

Seems like only yesterday that people were taking pleasure in the apparent imminent demise of your club.

If Essendon are to ultimately head nowhere this year, I'll be fully behind your quest for a flag. Would be fantastic to see in so many ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as it feels right now, as happy as things are this week...

We haven't achieved anything yet.
Licence, One Club, Reserves, Ad Oval, record members, sponsorship, attendances, raging boners. That'll do for round 6. They don't play finals till September.

Seriously, I'm still not sure how all this has been possible. It's happened and I still don't believe it can be done. Not by April 2014. With exceptional management, April 2024 maybe...

As good as it feels right now, as happy as things are this week...

We haven't achieved anything yet.
`
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I 100% agree with this.... We have a long way to go yet to prove the AFL world that Port Adelaide is the best football in the modern era, this will take 10 years of dominance with 4 to 5 Premierships or more to be the club we once were.

This small step is just a flash of things to come.

GWS isn't going to be a walk in the park lads, because this is one of the teams we are going to competing against in the future finals along with GC.

Wow. I could leave it at that after watching AFL 360. Clubs can't buy that sort of promotion. Although I've followed Port for over 30 years, it became a serious passion during the early 90's.

I honestly can't remember a time I've been as pumped to be a Port supporter as I am now. The flags in the early 90's were good, but it was preparation for the big league and there was the element of big fish, small pond. And by the time we won in 2004, as enjoyable as that was, after the chokes of 2001 - 2003 the overwhelming feeling was not joy, but relief, that we hadn't screwed it up again.

Whether we win a flag or not the next few years, the interaction with the club, the way we are playing, the atmosphere at Adelaide Oval, the respect we are getting everywhere (except the petty local media of course) and it's hard to keep the grin off my face these days.

Funny how a Geelong supporter can bring out this kind of emotion in our supporter base. Speaks volumes of what a quality journalist Whateley is.

Probably the only thing that he didn't mention - although he has referenced it in part before - is our position relative to the Crows. Even though it may not seem like it in pure numbers just yet, we are fast leaving them in our dust with our on and off field standards. We are professional, inclusive and nationally oriented whilst they are still the same bunch of cliquey, local yokel, self proclaimed heroes that they have always been. Eventually, this simply must show in supporter base numbers.

Funny how a Geelong supporter can bring out this kind of emotion in our supporter base. Speaks volumes of what a quality journalist Whateley is.

Probably the only thing that he didn't mention - although he has referenced it in part before - is our position relative to the Crows. Even though it may not seem like it in pure numbers just yet, we are fast leaving them in our dust with our on and off field standards. We are professional, inclusive and nationally oriented whilst they are still the same bunch of cliquey, local yokel, self proclaimed heroes that they have always been. Eventually, this simply must show in supporter base numbers.

As much as I agree with you

I think he didn't need to say it, it wasn't relevant. Port Adelaide compare themselves to the whole competition and strive to be the best in the competition rather than just the best in the state

Ive been thinking a lot about this the last week or so. I just feel that my faith has been repaid 10 fold and the story I kept telling myself during the bad years, that if I kept turning up it will be all the more sweeter when we turn the corner. Its starting to get so sweet Im on a permanent sugar high.

As much as I agree with you

I think he didn't need to say it, it wasn't relevant. Port Adelaide compare themselves to the whole competition and strive to be the best in the competition rather than just the best in the state
It's always fun to stick the boots into the Crows, but even amongst large parts of the supporter base it's changed from sticking it in as we need to bring them down, to just sticking it in as they have such an inflated opinion of themselves. They are unlikely to ever figure out their 'Pride of South Australia' is wall that stops them doing what Koch has started with us. Can you imagine the Camries doing a major sponsor launch interstate? The apricot slices would be thrown from the stands if they tried that.

There's so much a big fish, small pond mentality there. They are so busy trying to rule the pond and haven't noticed we've jumped out of it into the ocean.

Time to forgot about us in relation to the other mob.

We are coming after the Hawks, Freo, Sydney, Cats, Pies, Essendon...

This is exactly it.

Let the Camries worry about being “The Team For All South Australians” because by them focusing on that they will always be limiting themselves.

What kid in Melbourne, Perth, or Sydney is going to look at them and go “gee, I really feel like I can belong to that”? Even if they were playing well and carrying all before them unless you’re born and bred here you’re never really going to feel truly a part of it.

Port Adelaide is proud to be a South Australian club but it’s not what defines us. The creed is what defines us, and anyone, anywhere can feel a part of that. I hope right now there’s kids in Melbourne, Perth or Sydney who are looking at us and what we’re about and thinking, “that’s the club I want to support”.

Port Adelaide is well and truly looking beyond the 5015 postcode, we’re all about building a club that anyone, anywhere can feel a part of and support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back