Getting sick of seeing replays of Nicknat's ruckwork

Remove this Banner Ad

I have never seen stats like that constitute a top5 performance unless the 13 disposals includes 5 goals or more
Like Quinz said, in our top five.. He's influential.. Dunce
I watched the game too, NONE of those disposals were even anything special most of them missed their targets! That's how supercoach works you know that's why he was ranked 35th for the match
Backing up an argument with supercoach? Well, case closed.. Dunce
you were bloody awful today but to suggest NNs effort was better than 18-20 of your other blokes is just plain ludicrous
Again, in our top five.. Dunce
bloody hell talk about having your head up your clacker.. oh well you and the media can go ahead and pump him up, the other 15 clubs will let you have your 12 hitouts and you can lose matches and be down the bottom as long as you want
Aaaaand, here's the jealousy that is clear as day to everyone else.. Dunce

Like Quinz said, in our top five.. He's influential.. Dunce

Backing up an argument with supercoach? Well, case closed.. Dunce

Again, in our top five.. Dunce

Aaaaand, here's the jealousy that is clear as day to everyone else.. Dunce

Do you really think calling someone a dunce 4 times is offensive?
Generally it's the people who lack the intelligence to build on their arguments who simply repeat themselves.

I don't mean to downplay Naitanui's abilities - he's a wonderful young talent, and I'd be more than happy to have him at Collingwood - but anyone who thinks he "shouldn't be able to do that" (eg. loose ball pick-ups on the run, etc.) at his size should try watching some NBA basketball sometime. Naitanui's vertical leap and straight-line speed are a match for a lot of NBA athletes, but his coordination and agility aren't anything extraordinary in comparison. The average size of players in the NBA is the same size that Naitanui is, yet their coordination and body control are such that they make Naitanui look positively unco. I know the games have different demands athletically, but compared to NBA athletes, the big men in our game are for the most part quite average athletical and coordination-wise.

I don't mean to downplay Naitanui's abilities - he's a wonderful young talent, and I'd be more than happy to have him at Collingwood - but anyone who thinks he "shouldn't be able to do that" (eg. loose ball pick-ups on the run, etc.) at his size should try watching some NBA basketball sometime. Naitanui's vertical leap and straight-line speed are a match for a lot of NBA athletes, but his coordination and agility aren't anything extraordinary in comparison. The average size of players in the NBA is the same size that Naitanui is, yet their coordination and body control are such that they make Naitanui look positively unco. I know the games have different demands athletically, but compared to NBA athletes, the big men in our game are for the most part quite average athletical and coordination-wise.

Yeah cos it's harder to pick up a round ball below your knees at full speed than it is an oval shaped ball :confused: Not a great comparison.

Yeah cos it's harder to pick up a round ball below your knees at full speed than it is an oval shaped ball :confused: Not a great comparison.

I was referring to the coordination displayed by basketballers when handling the ball in all different situations (dribbling, passing, shooting), as well as the agility and body control they have while moving with the ball, not just picking the ball up off the ground.

Have a look at this Kobe Bryant video, keeping in mind that he and Naitanui are roughly the same size:

[YOUTUBE]4FpzQiERt8I[/YOUTUBE]
Obviously the sport-specific athletic requirements are different in footy and basketball, but the point I'm trying to make is that the agility, coordination, body control and ball handling skills of players 6'6" and above in our game isn't really that special when compared to similar sized athletes in other sports such as basketball. A lot of our big men would lag behind in other athletic areas such as speed, quickness and vertical leap as well.

Thanks to the great channel 10 camerawork, there was no close up of the 3rd term goal to Le Cras.

I have to ask, was it not the North player, I think it was Grima, who actually hit it straight to Le Cras. The velocity of the ball wasn't consistent with a palm which considering NikNat was extended to extreme was the only way he could have influenced that contest.

I second the notion of watching Daw v Natanui in the future.

This.

That tap down came straight from the hand of a North player. Yet, according to Quarterbrain it was genius and poetry in motion, which doesn't get any better from NicNat.

Try watching the game without rubbing your knob next time Quarters.

Damon good to see you benchmark NN against Koby Bryant.

That would be a fair average representation of NBA skills.:cool:

And NN is very slow compaired to Bolt.;)

So you are correct NN is nothing special.

I was referring to the coordination displayed by basketballers when handling the ball in all different situations (dribbling, passing, shooting), as well as the agility and body control they have while moving with the ball, not just picking the ball up off the ground.

Have a look at this Kobe Bryant video, keeping in mind that he and Naitanui are roughly the same size:

[youtube]4FpzQiERt8I[/youtube]
Obviously the sport-specific athletic requirements are different in footy and basketball, but the point I'm trying to make is that the agility, coordination, body control and ball handling skills of players 6'6" and above in our game isn't really that special when compared to similar sized athletes in other sports such as basketball. A lot of our big men would lag behind in other athletic areas such as speed, quickness and vertical leap as well.
Not quite.

We have some exceptionally quick players, both over short distances 20-30m and over say 100-200m.

Also some of the vertical jump results for recent draftees match it quite well with those from sports like basketball.

Indeed a couple of recent draftees have been excellent basketballers but their skills are avg or inconsistent, because they are diff sports with diff requirements (rules about how to dispose of the ball, tackling and shape of the ball).

Another huge factor outside of the shape of the ball, is the size and surface of the ground.

Have you seen the players train and move indoors, quite a difference. The size of the ground also creates a style of play which is completely different to a more compact indoor sport (think the diff between soccer and indoor soccer). Also consider how weather effects skills (moisture, wind, variability of the playing surface).

You'd think they'd never seen a black man before.

A black man who could jump. ;)

To the opening post. I agree with you champ but what we have to understand here is Nic is the player of the future. He will bring people to games and put bumbs on seats every week if he keeps doing what he is doing now. He has that freakishness ability the likes of Franklin had not so long ago.

In plain words. "GET USED TO IT"

Hes winning our best and fairest atm and fairly comfortable. Injury aside I think he will be our best and fairest for the year at seasons end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really think calling someone a dunce 4 times is offensive?
Generally it's the people who lack the intelligence to build on their arguments who simply repeat themselves.
Keep it to yourself, dunce.

Teams who have 19 year olds as best and fairest winners generally dont play finals footy so yes it is a tad depressing

I reckon if you're sick of seeing NicNat's ruckwork and the replays - i'd switch off the TV for the next 10 years.

However i'll agree that the hyping is OTT - however that isn't the fault of the man himself.

In addition, eagles fans getting excited about one of our own players on our own board is hardly a crime now is it?

Luckily i didn't get to see yesterday's game - however - from the games i have seen this season - when NN is on ball - he definitely has an influence, particularly after the ruck.

On the footy show the other day they showed a piece on Sam Newman rucking, and it looked like Farmer was roving to him. I wouldn't mind us trialling Cox in the ruck and NN roving. Cox is still the best tap ruckman in our side.

This.

That tap down came straight from the hand of a North player. Yet, according to Quarterbrain it was genius and poetry in motion, which doesn't get any better from NicNat.

Try watching the game without rubbing your knob next time Quarters.

See to me it looked all the world like a set play, one they have probably practiced a 100 times at training. LeCras knew exactly where the ball was going and was on the move as the ball was being bounced.

Maybe the North player trains with us?:rolleyes:

Since when do Demon supporters give other clubs s**t about not winning games?:confused:

When we have won a couple of spoons, feel free to come back and pile it on.:thumbsu:

his career average is like 12 disopsals 12 hitouts 0.4 goals or something and he's the best player at your club? They're the Eagles they're flying high at 0-3

And heres a demons fan. Yet again not turning up to watch his team play.

His season average is 15 possessions (10 hard ball gets) 4 tackles and 1 goal and 16 hitouts.

Whats Jacquelines/

We have some exceptionally quick players, both over short distances 20-30m and over say 100-200m.

If you compared players 6'6" and above in both the AFL and the NBA, I'd say the NBA players would come out on top in both the quickness (20-30m) and speed (100-200m) stakes.

Also some of the vertical jump results for recent draftees match it quite well with those from sports like basketball.

I'm mainly referring to players in both sports who are 6'6" and above. In that respect, I'd say NBA athletes are mostly superior in areas such as vertical leap and agility.

Have you seen the players train and move indoors, quite a difference. The size of the ground also creates a style of play which is completely different to a more compact indoor sport (think the diff between soccer and indoor soccer). Also consider how weather effects skills (moisture, wind, variability of the playing surface).

If anything, the freedom of movement (particularly when in possession of the ball) should afford footballers more scope to display their speed and agility. Admittedly though, the outdoor playing conditions can be detrimental to such displays. Still, the limited playing area, ball movement rules, speed of play and (on average) larger size of the athletes IMO make the body control, coordination and agility displayed by NBA players that much more amazing.

Damon good to see you benchmark NN against Koby Bryant.

That would be a fair average representation of NBA skills.:cool:

And NN is very slow compaired to Bolt.;)

So you are correct NN is nothing special.

I didn't say Naitanui isn't special. For football, he is. Even in basketball terms, his vertical leap and straight-line quickness are very impressive. But the average NBA player is around 200cm and 100kg, so putting things in perspective, the "he shouldn't be able to do those things at his size" calls that get bandied about are over-the-top IMO. 6'6"-6'7" agile, quick athletes are pretty much a dime a dozen in basketball, particularly in the US. There's a ton of athletes that size running around in minor leagues in the US and around the world, and many don't make it as stars because they lack the specific basketball skills (particularly shooting ability). But in terms of areas such as agility, body control, coordination, and (most times) speed, quickness and vertical leap, they make big men in our sport look very average athletically.

The point is, if many footy viewers (particularly older viewers) weren't so insular, they'd realise there are special athletes in other sports who are doing just as many amazing things (if not more) at the same body size as Naitanui. That's not to downplay Naitanui's work. He's a heck of an athlete and he's great to watch on the footy field. It's just that (and this will sound quite jaded) I've seen athleticism like his on display before many times in other sports.

I have never seen stats like that constitute a top5 performance unless the 13 disposals includes 5 goals or more

I watched the game too, NONE of those disposals were even anything special most of them missed their targets! That's how supercoach works you know that's why he was ranked 35th for the match

you were bloody awful today but to suggest NNs effort was better than 18-20 of your other blokes is just plain ludicrous

bloody hell talk about having your head up your clacker.. oh well you and the media can go ahead and pump him up, the other 15 clubs will let you have your 12 hitouts and you can lose matches and be down the bottom as long as you want
Sour grapes do taste dreadful don't they! And you would know more about being at the bottom than we ever would. FYI we have NEVER "won" a wooden spoon.

If anything, the freedom of movement (particularly when in possession of the ball) should afford footballers more scope to display their speed and agility. Admittedly though, the outdoor playing conditions can be detrimental to such displays. Still, the limited playing area, ball movement rules, speed of play and (on average) larger size of the athletes IMO make the body control, coordination and agility displayed by NBA players that much more amazing.
Actually I am not sure about this point.

Football is an endurance game as well as a contact sport.

In basketball you can stand still, dribble on the spot, maneuver around players who can make minimal physical contact.

Basketball lends itself exactly to skillful and burst play.

Australian Rules does not. The other major difference is in the fact you have to worry about kicking, hand passing and tackling. Three separate skills sets, which also require a great degree of effort just to coordinate.

If you are just looking at players around 6'6 though, I will agree. There a very few players of that height in the AFL period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back