Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a big difference between out of the 8 and bottom 3 every year like melb were. We are pretty much the only team not to have a top 5 pick in the last 20 years.

True, but once you're out of the 8 you're largely inconsequential regardless of actual position, and it's the feeling that imparts I was referencing.

Melbourne only got that by being absolute sh*t for many years plus dodgy afl compo (see frawley) thats not a plan to follow and we would be silly to try. Even in our bad years we wont drop enough to get top 5 picks..we just have to maximise what picks we will have.

We may not have any choice now whether we like it or not. I reckon we are 2-3 years off being bottom 4.

Point is we have had sustained success while being the only team to do it without top 5 picks.
That is true, but it does come with the caveat that we got the greatest player of the modern era, the greatest fullback of all time, and the best forward at our club in the last 20 years for stuff-all through the F/S rule.

100% this. And not just Melbourne but the Dogs too.

The failure rate on early KP players is just too high to reliably build on. If you take home the spoon and draft Jack Watts your draft haul is likely to be worse than the premiers.

Teens picks like SDK is about the earliest we should be looking at talls and even then I'd prefer Shannon Neale draft range selections.

Not really a problem for this draft though because we don't have early picks but there's mids available where we will have picks so let's fill our stockings
Luke Jackson at pick 3 goes ok

Don't think you can put a line through KPP being taken early but it's about taking the right KPP

But damn helpful to go from a prelim final in 2018, then get pick 3 cause of a s**t year in 2019 & then a flag 2 years later

Yeah, I can see us falling away a bit too.

Well Selwood, Danger, Smith, Duncan, Guthrie will all be retired or a year away from it. With only Parfitt who is B grade at best, coming through and Holmes who does look promising. It’s a recipe for a big fall. Not sure how people can see any other future?

Don't think you can put a line through KPP being taken early but it's about taking the right KPP

But damn helpful to go from a prelim final in 2018, then get pick 3 cause of a sh*t year in 2019 & then a flag 2 years later
Luke Jackson goes extremely well but they're beating the odds there.

Plus if he didn't have a crazy deep midfield delivering it I doubt we'd have the near universal agreement on his quality that we have today.

But damn helpful to go from a prelim final in 2018, then get pick 3 cause of a sh*t year in 2019 & then a flag 2 years later

With the wisdom of hindsight you wonder if we’d been prepared to hold on to our picks rather than trade them between 2013-2020 whether we’d have be in a stronger position the past 4-5 years? Had a bit of a dip initially but then been in a better position to challenge again a few years later? We’ll never know of course.

Easy kill these days.
Love to be a fly on the wall during opposition pregame speeches v the Cats.
Nobody really fears us anymore, and we are seen as soft and panicky under pressure.
The age thing is an issue.
Perhaps the softness creeps in as players get older, losing that perception of indestructability. Fear of putting body on the line.
Young families, perspectives, priorities change. More likely to back off a bit, just pick up the pay check. Especially if coaches are picking you week in week out, season after season despite stinking it up.
In Geelong’s case throw in a number of players that were inherently soft from day one.
I doubt whether a team with an older demographic can compete wholeheartedly in today’s high contact run and gun style finals footy, and our repeated big stage failures have proven that the slowdown possession style just doesn’t really cut it anymore.
Just addressing the bolded portion of your quote, the softness is on particular players (for example someone I have several S nicks for, including Shirker).

You could never accuse Sel of becoming soft as he ages, the body won't allow it so much now but he at least still gives it his best effort.

So... back on the thread title, did anyone watch the WA v SA u19s yesterday? Caught a couple of mins here and there but didn't see anything new or useful to us.

It's going to be an extremely difficult draft, supposedly deep on mids but we don't have the picks required to get the top end talent.

Just addressing the bolded portion of your quote, the softness is on particular players (for example someone I have several S nicks for, including Shirker).

You could never accuse Sel of becoming soft as he ages, the body won't allow it so much now but he at least still gives it his best effort.

So... back on the thread title, did anyone watch the WA v SA u19s yesterday? Caught a couple of mins here and there but didn't see anything new or useful to us.

It's going to be an extremely difficult draft, supposedly deep on mids but we don't have the picks required to get the top end talent.

How good was Horne-Francis in the SA final?! Kangas have got a bona fide superstar in the mould of Dusty and Petracca. Very exciting for them.

Didn’t see the u19 game but agree it will be difficult (but not impossible) to get good kids with our picks. In some ways, aside from perhaps the first 4-5 picks, it’s a year that it’s not a real disadvantage to have a raft of second rounders. With a lot of unexposed form we could pick some diamonds if we get our talent iD right.

I don't mind everything EXCEPT , recruiting Dunkley or Conilgo, Why as they will cost us high end draft picks,and we need to us those picks to recruit the best players in the draft..
Over the next few years I would only try recruit big name players using RFA/UFA.. As we need to hit the draft using the picks in getting the best kids
There is no way Collingwood will deal that with Kreuger etc..
And also unfortunately Henderson doesn’t get a new deal, as I'd ratherive games int SDK, and usehis spot on a Kid

I agree. Time to load up on kids. We have 3 picks in the 30’s at this stage and over the years this has has been Well’s wheelhouse. Unless we can get a pick in the top 8, the draft opens right up from what I hear due to COVID and lack of exposed form in the juniors. Players like Holmes came straight from schoolboy football and we’ll see more of the same this year IMO.
The Krueger trade is an interesting one. Collingwood desperately need draft points to get Daicos and if we can give them let’s say 30, 54 and Krueger for their future 1st rounder it would help both teams get what they need going forward. If the pies want Daicos their future 1st rounder is more than likely have to be on the table.

For me the changes from our PF team would be.
Out : Kolo, Henderson, Rohan, Menegola, Higgins, Zuthrie, Atkins.
In : Stewart, Parfitt, O’Connor, SDK, Clark (if he’s still around), Evans and a couple of kids yet to be seen in the seniors (Stephens, Stevens, Neale and possibly a draft pick or 2 from this year).
If Talia is available I’d roll the dice on him as he’s a free hit and at worst would add cover to our defence.
play Blicavs as a hard running defensive winger who can pinch hit in the ruck. It’s where he’s played his best footy IMO.
This is potentially Wells biggest challenge in his career as list manager and I’m willing to back him in.

Danger I think needs to go forward, he could already be an all Australian half forward and if you give him 20 weeks to develop his leading patterns etc - he will only get better

Also think Geelong need to protect him as one of our best assets for next 3-4 years

He limps into every finals series as a mid and tries his guts out to limited avail

Not sure we could win it next year- but not ruling us out in 2-3 so why not have him playing now where he will be then- may extend his career too

Rohan to back flank like some have raised I like as well- no sense in him getting a game over Evans, Simpson, close or Miers next year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Who win the ball in the middle?

With the wisdom of hindsight you wonder if we’d been prepared to hold on to our picks rather than trade them between 2013-2020 whether we’d have be in a stronger position the past 4-5 years? Had a bit of a dip initially but then been in a better position to challenge again a few years later? We’ll never know of course.
Looking at what we gave up I strongly doubt the picks would have us in any better a position now on a trade by trade basis. If you're saying though that we'd be bottom 4 and would have drafted 3 or 4 decent players sure, but does that get us closer than we have been in recent years? Don't think so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who win the ball in the middle?
Guthrie there to win the ball and draw defensive attention from the opposition while we rotate Holmes and a few others in to see what we can build. Given the amount danger has dropped off this year, at his age, I think we can get maybe a half of midfield duties out of him every week.

The failure rate on early KP players is just too high to reliably build on. If you take home the spoon and draft Jack Watts your draft haul is likely to be worse than the premiers.
Yeah, but if you get Roughy and Franklin you are beyond set.

Worth looking at the best key forwards in the game at the moment acc. to the Coleman medal count. Hawkins was F/S but would have gone top three, ditto Daniher. Riewoldt was p12, Dixon and Bruce were Academy picks, Franklin p5, McKay p10, Ben King p6, Naughton p9. The only smoky in that was Tex Walker.

If you want a genuinely excellent key forward, you must have a high pick to draw on.

Looking at what we gave up I strongly doubt the picks would have us in any better a position now on a trade by trade basis. If you're saying though that we'd be bottom 4 and would have drafted 3 or 4 decent players sure, but does that get us closer than we have been in recent years? Don't think so

I’d have to look at what we traded away and where we may have been likely to fall to if we hadn’t topped up. Crystal ball sort of stuff. But I think you are right, we wouldn’t have fallen to bottom 4 regardless. There still may have been some decent kids taken from 8-12 though which may have been in our range maybe.

I thought at the time why do the Dees need Jackson .
But Gawn is 29 now ..
Jackson looks to be helping Gawn ...

Literally the only KPPs taken in the top five between 2016 and 2019 are Luke Jackson and Max King (plus Ben was taken at 6), and if you offered me any of those players tomorrow I would rip your arms off to shake your hand.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but we Should have taken Ben Brown for free and gone to the draft with the picks we used on Cameron.

Guthrie there to win the ball and draw defensive attention from the opposition while we rotate Holmes and a few others in to see what we can build. Given the amount danger has dropped off this year, at his age, I think we can get maybe a half of midfield duties out of him every week.

We got Parfitt aswell.

The second post clearance is where we struggled though the finals .

Has he really dropped off or has he been repeatedly injured all year ( and suspended).

Can’t believe I’m saying this but we Should have taken Ben Brown for free and gone to the draft with the picks we used on Cameron.
Brown needs a certain delivery style out of the midfield to work, and we don't provide that.

Besides, Brown might not have wanted to live away from Melbourne.

We may not have any choice now whether we like it or not. I reckon we are 2-3 years off being bottom 4.

The standard of the league is so diluted that even when we have a very young playing list i doubt we will finish bottom 4 simply because of how bad other teams are. Bottom 6 to 8 is likely.

Which is my point we wont have access to top 5 picks so the comparison between us and melbourne is therefore irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back