Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are we too far back in the queue to get him?

No i dont think he will go top 20 so id expect we could get him in the second/third round albeit that this is a hard draft order to predict-with all the shutdowns in vic there will be wildly varying opinions among recruiters as to how they rate vic players.

No i dont think he will go top 20 so id expect we could get him in the second/third round albeit that this is a hard draft order to predict-with all the shutdowns in vic there will be wildly varying opinions among recruiters as to how they rate vic players.
Would be hard due to lockdowns for Melbourne clubs to have even travelled down here to see him.

I think people are forgetting how elite Tim Kelly is, he was pretty special in the 2019 finals series. I think we missed him more this year with the longer games. We’re not going to get access to the top of the draft, we need to find another Tim Kelly who wants to stay in Geelong. Covid has really screwed our draft one wood.

Certainly have been gifted an enormous amount of talent. You could argue there was a certain inevitability that they would win one with this group at some stage. If they keep their motivation up, they could win a couple more with this group.

Makes you also think that GC, if they can finally build a strong culture and retain their guns, could be a force in 4-5 years when the likes of Rowell, Anderson etc reach maturity.

I don’t think you necessarily need to completely bottom out to be able to be a legitimate flag threat. But you do probably need to have a period of penance in the bottom 6 for 2-3 years to enable you to top up with at least a group of 3-4 guns to build a team around.
Look at what the dogs did, or hell, even what we did a few years ago. Rock bottom is not the way, and with our home ground advantage, it’s not going to happen.

I agree

What about 27 and fr2 for Clark and 52
Something like this is much much more likely. Similar to the Caldwell deal last year

“Equivalent to a late first round pick” so all clubs save face rather than the chest beating of “a late 1st round pick”.

There is no way Freo will sacrifice or split top 10 picks for Clark.

2021 #30 + 2022 #30 for Clark+ #47ish is equivalent to pick #20.

Not ideal for us but gets us a pick this year and a vital 2nd round pick next year.

Look at what the dogs did, or hell, even what we did a few years ago. Rock bottom is not the way, and with our home ground advantage, it’s not going to happen.
I keep hearing this from punters on here - that our home ground advantage will mean we won't hit the bottom. Not sure what that means. First of all, if we're s**t there's no reason we shouldn't lose at home as well as away. And second of all, we normally have 2 or 3 fewer home games than the rest of the comp..

I'm guessing not as a ruck but if we get a run of injuries to forwards he might get a look as a 3rd tall

There are the most insane amount of rucks (and good ones) in the draft next year. SA has 3 over 202cm that can all play and WA has heaps before you even start with VIC so I'd be keeping my powder dry on the ruck front until next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something like this is much much more likely. Similar to the Caldwell deal last year

“Equivalent to a late first round pick” so all clubs save face rather than the chest beating of “a late 1st round pick”.

Not ideal for us but gets us a pick this year and a vital 2nd round pick next year.
I'd say that would suit us pretty well, especially if we're doing a deeper rebuild over the next few years.

I keep hearing this from punters on here - that our home ground advantage will mean we won't hit the bottom. Not sure what that means. First of all, if we're sh*t there's no reason we shouldn't lose at home as well as away. And second of all, we normally have 2 or 3 fewer home games than the rest of the comp..
I think it’s the best home ground advantage in the comp (exclusive ground without the travel), meaning we won’t ever be in the worst 3-4 teams on W-L.

Agreed or if they dont want to trade futures the other option is 25 and 27 (im assuming they get 6 and 25 for cerra) for clark and 34 which is "late first round equivalent" also.
We could then flip one of our many R2s for someones future 2nd which i expect we will do as we will want future picks.

I cant see freo trading 6 or 8 its a strong WA crop and they will want 2 picks before WCE pick and i cant see them offering a future R1.

The rise of Grovedale goalkicking sensation Tom Gillett
Tom Gillett has just turned 18 and is the youngest winner of the GFL goalkicking award. Here’s his story on how the son of an “aquatic engineer” became the most talked about player in local football this year.

Toby Prime
Follow
@T_Prime2

4 min read
September 26, 2021 - 7:54PM
Geelong Advertiser
0 comments
Grovedale teenager Tom Gillett. Picture: Alan Barber

Grovedale teenager Tom Gillett. Picture: Alan Barber

Tom Gillett, the GFL leading goalkicker at 17, is just a knockabout teenager that loves having a kick with his mates at Grovedale.
The mulletted Gillett dazzled local football watchers this year with his high marks and long goals to quickly become a fan favourite at Burdoo Reserve.
The Year 12 Grovedale College student announced himself with four goals on debut against Bell Park in a famous win in Daniel Fraser’s first game as coach.

Then there was the third quarter against St Joseph’s in round 6.
“That St Joeys third quarter when he kicked three or four, that’s when I knew we had something absolutely special on our hands,” Fraser said.
Grovedale trailed by seven points at halftime.
By three-quarter time, the Tigers led by 39 points.
Gillett, who turned 18 in late August, had kicked four for the term and returned seven for the match.
“That was when he took the big mark across the pack and he took the mark where the ball had gone past his head and he dragged it back in front of him with one hand,” Fraser said.
FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on Foxtel Find out more
Father, Shane, was in tears after the game.
“I was that impressed and that chuffed the way Tom played but the way the team went about it and the way ‘Frase’ coaches,” Shane said.
“That’s why it just got me and it was a very, very proud moment.”
Gillett would kick 42 for the year in nine games to be the youngest league goalkicking winner in the competition’s history.
But through the extra attention, flack from his schoolmates and splashes in the press, he has taken the hype in his stride.
Shane has been at every game this year when Covid settings have allowed.
Tom and Shane Gillett. Picture: Alan Barber

Tom and Shane Gillett. Picture: Alan Barber
He said his son, unsurprisingly crowned the Rookie of the Year, has remained himself.
“Tom’s always been a very laid back person and I knew he wouldn’t get above himself,” he said.
“Nothing goes to his head.
“I’m very proud of him.”
Fraser wanted to give Gillett a “taste of senior footy” this year but a practice match against Point Cook provided him with an exciting insight into the future.
“I think he kicked 3.7, took about 10 or 11 marks and I think he might have put two out of bounds on the full,” Fraser said.
“He’s blown away our coaching staff … and the Geelong community with his performances this year.
“He’s probably surprised himself, too, I reckon.”
Gillett makes an interesting confession when he coughs up that he “honestly did not enjoy playing footy before this season”.
He played juniors with Modewarre but was a big tennis fan.
“Even watching the AFL and stuff, I knew no one,” he said.
“I go for Hawthorn, or I did back then, and I couldn’t tell you who the skipper was or anything.”
It wasn’t until he moved into town for school midway through 2017 that he joined the Tigers.
Gillett puts through another goal. Picture: Mark Wilson

Gillett puts through another goal. Picture: Mark Wilson
“I did a pre-season at Falcons when I was 16, I reckon,” Gillett said.
“I dunno, I just don’t think I was that mature back then — I wasn’t ready for everything.
“I guess now, I just love it. I can’t wait. I’d come down every Saturday morning, come and watch my mates play 19s.
“I’ll stay here all day and leave at 6pm, 7.30pm.”
Gillett loves Grovedale.
It’s why he was unsure about joining Geelong Falcons midway through the year when coach Paul Corrigan invited him down for a run.
“The decision, I’ll be honest, I couldn’t sleep at night a few times,” he said.
“If I had have said Grovey, I didn’t want to disappoint ‘Corra’ and if I had have said Grovey, I didn’t want other people to think, ‘Oh, he doesn’t want to do anything with his footy’. I do.”
Gillett now wants to take his footy further.
“I’d love to test my abilities in higher standards, if those opportunities came,” he said.
“If it doesn’t come, I’m more than happy playing at Grovey. I’m loving my footy here but otherwise, I’ve got no doubt I’d try my absolute hardest anywhere else.”
Co-president Michael Schulze said Gillett has “huge upside”.
“Big strong lad,” Schulze said.
“I’ve seen him come up for a number of years now and he’s always been a big boy in junior footy but to do that in senior footy has been mind-blowing.
“It was good to watch.”
Gillett is one of a number of exciting talents coming through at Grovedale.
The Tigers had eight players on the Falcons’ books at the start of the year.
Schulze labelled the up-and-comers as “the best group I’ve seen in the whole time I’ve been around”.
Tom Gillett in a game with Geelong Falcons. Picture: Getty

Tom Gillett in a game with Geelong Falcons. Picture: Getty
“You know the noise when Tom starts clunking the marks and kicking the goals,” Schulze said.
“It’s been pretty exciting.
“He’s got a few back to the footy, I reckon.
“It’s made a good atmosphere around the joint.”
So where does Gillett’s talent come from?
Shane played reserves at Grovedale and enjoyed “getting on the beers and watching the seniors”.
“I was definitely no where near as good as Tom,” he said.
“The talent’s just really hard work.”
Shane works with Narellan Pools these days but calls himself an “aquatic engineer”.
“If you can put in aquatic engineer because I’m pushing for that,” he said.
“Well that means I’m an aquatic engineer as well,” Tom shot back.
“You’re a junior aquatic engineer because he’s working with me a bit,” Shane replied.
Shane quipped Tom is “no doctor”.
“Let’s hope he can play footy,” he said.
The knockabout teenager sure can.

On the field he reminds me of Jack Aziz the full forward back at Werribee Tigers in the VFL... A young version, but same style of player. Lead up full forward.
What's his height/weight? 17 yeah?

I think it’s the best home ground advantage in the comp (exclusive ground without the travel), meaning we won’t ever be in the worst 3-4 teams on W-L.
Sure, if you happen to get to play at your home ground the same amount as any other team.

There are the most insane amount of rucks (and good ones) in the draft next year. SA has 3 over 202cm that can all play and WA has heaps before you even start with VIC so I'd be keeping my powder dry on the ruck front until next year.
Might be good to draft all mids this year and keep tabs on Neale and Tsap. Maybe some of those 202cm players can be KP prospects too

I think we went 3-6 at Kardinia Park in 98, 4-5 in 99, 3-4 in 01 & 3-4-1 in 03. Years we won 9, 9, 10 and 7.5 games respectively. When we were crap the majority of games we won were away from home. People only point out our home ground now because we’ve been good for so long and they want a reason other than exceptional off and on field culture and management.

P.S: That was our worst period in the last 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back