Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Mid Wk Tackle tonight ....Some of the numbers being tossed around for Free Agents are jaw dropping and gut churning.

Saying the Saints may offer LDU. ... 13 to 15M over ten years as a Free agent

Hugh McLuggage ... Saints , Pies , Ess and Geelong interested . he wants to stay but it might take 1.5 over 6 years to get him.

They also mentioned a big internal hot coals discussion about Conway V Stanley... and our Free Agents are very happy to stay Parfitt not looking elsewhere.

Last edited:

On the Mid Wk Tackle tonight ....Some of the numbers being tossed around for Free Agents are jaw dropping and gut churning.

Saying the Saints may offer LDU. ... 13 to 15M over ten years as a Free agent

Hugh McLuggage ... Saints , Pies , Ess and Geelong interested . he wants to stay but it might take 1.5 over 6 years to get him.

They also mentioned a big internal hot coals discussion about Conway V Stanley... and our Free Agents are very happy to stay Parfitt not looking elsewhere.
If the saints get LDU on north of a Mill then they will continue to be a laughing stock and never achieve anything.
There’s 100 people on the bigfooty site who could list manage that side better

Anybody out there know about the kids in this years draft? What Key Forwards are out there?
Just thinking that's our no 1 priority in this years draft ...
Not many at this stage in terms of first round prospects.

Extremely midfield heavy draft, so much so that the first 10-15 could all end up being mids, and the best key forward prospect is Welsh who's an Adelaide F/S.

Really sucks for teams like Norf & Hawthorn desperate for key position talent, but thems the breaks.

If we're not trading our pick for a Smith, Perkins, or McSuitcases I'd expect we'll be taking a mid this year, just by sheer probability as much as anything.

Extremely midfield heavy draft, so much so that the first 10-15 could all end up being mids, and the best key forward prospect is Welsh who's an Adelaide F/S.

Really sucks for teams like Norf & Hawthorn desperate for key position talent, but thems the breaks.

If we're not trading our pick for a Smith, Perkins, or McSuitcases I'd expect we'll be taking a mid this year, just by sheer probability as much as anything.

Well now you've done it... I'm looking forward to us welcoming a KPF with our first pick

Anybody out there know about the kids in this years draft? What Key Forwards are out there?
Just thinking that's our no 1 priority in this years draft ...

I have not heard off any KPF as being guns this year ...maybe thats good for us (If we keep our pick that is). Listening to future stars ..they gave a kid Sims a big wrap week1 of the CTL. There is also a set of twins Whitlock , Jack and Matt , talls kids like the Kings, and one of them is a KPF. Jack I think.

Its early. Maybe someone shows some form in the champ games in the next couple of months ... but I think they first round will have a lot of mids.

I have not heard off any KPF as being guns this year ...maybe thats good for us (If we keep our pick that is). Listening to future stars ..they gave a kid Sims a big wrap week1 of the CTL. There is also a set of twins Whitlock , Jack and Matt , talls kids like the Kings, and one of them is a KPF. Jack I think.

Its early. Maybe someone shows some form in the champ games in the next couple of months ... but I think they first round will have a lot of mids.
The danger is guys in the McAsey/Jefferson/Jones mold are going to shoot up the boards just by being the best key position talent available, when they'd be going later on, or even second or third round in a better KPP draft.

Cadman is quality I reckon, but he was similar. Projected latter half of the top 10 to mid first round for a lot of the year, and ended up the number 1 pick.

It could benefit us if we're smart enough to not fall for it, but a lot of clubs will. It happens regularly.

The danger is guys in the McAsey/Jefferson/Jones mold are going to shoot up the boards just by being the best key position talent available, when they'd be going later on, or even second or third round in a better KPP draft.

Cadman is quality I reckon, but he was similar. Projected latter half of the top 10 to mid first round for a lot of the year, and ended up the number 1 pick.

It could benefit us if we're smart enough to not fall for it, but a lot of clubs will. It happens regularly.
I think Cadman is quality too but he should be taken as #1.

Available quality KPF just about the rarest commodity. Still just have to wait and see when they put them all together for the champs.

One name I have read a bit is Faull... we had him in and had a look at him. Not sure if he is up to it.

FAULL HOPES TO BOUNCE BACK

Exciting key forward Jonty Faull is still working his way back to fitness as he battles bone stress in his lower back.

The Greater Western Victoria Rebels product has targeted a mid-season return in June after back issues flared up in December and ruined his preparation for the 2024 season.

A member of the AFL Academy, the 195cm Faull had kicked two goals in the under-17 Futures game last September and trained with Geelong in December before the problems popped up.

“It’s disappointing and frustrating but I can’t do much about it,” Faull said last month.

“It is what it is. I’ve just got to try and rehab it and do all the right things.”

Faull, who attends Ballarat Grammar, has a background in rowing and competed for his school at the 2023 Australian Rowing Championships in Perth last March.

His team won a bronze medal in the Schoolboy’s Coxed Quadruple Scull event.

“I love rowing so much,” Faull said.

“I had to give it up this last season, but I did it for about three or four years and I loved every minute of it. It’s such a tough sport, but it’s so rewarding as well.”

Faull is a Carlton supporter, with his uncle — Nick Faull — having been drafted to the Blues in the 1990 national draft.

A strong overhead mark who reads the play well, the 18-year-old looks up to two-time Coleman Medal winner who wears the navy blue.

“A bit Charlie Curnow, obviously going for Carlton, but I don’t feel like I model it off one specific player,” Faull said when asked who he modelled his game on.

“I try and get the good bits from each player and try and use that in my game.”

I think Cadman is quality too but he should be taken as #1.

Available quality KPF just about the rarest commodity. Still just have to wait and see when they put them all together for the champs.

One name I have read a bit is Faull... we had him in and had a look at him. Not sure if he is up to it.

FAULL HOPES TO BOUNCE BACK

Exciting key forward Jonty Faull is still working his way back to fitness as he battles bone stress in his lower back.

The Greater Western Victoria Rebels product has targeted a mid-season return in June after back issues flared up in December and ruined his preparation for the 2024 season.

A member of the AFL Academy, the 195cm Faull had kicked two goals in the under-17 Futures game last September and trained with Geelong in December before the problems popped up.

“It’s disappointing and frustrating but I can’t do much about it,” Faull said last month.

“It is what it is. I’ve just got to try and rehab it and do all the right things.”

Faull, who attends Ballarat Grammar, has a background in rowing and competed for his school at the 2023 Australian Rowing Championships in Perth last March.

His team won a bronze medal in the Schoolboy’s Coxed Quadruple Scull event.

“I love rowing so much,” Faull said.

“I had to give it up this last season, but I did it for about three or four years and I loved every minute of it. It’s such a tough sport, but it’s so rewarding as well.”

Faull is a Carlton supporter, with his uncle — Nick Faull — having been drafted to the Blues in the 1990 national draft.

A strong overhead mark who reads the play well, the 18-year-old looks up to two-time Coleman Medal winner who wears the navy blue.

“A bit Charlie Curnow, obviously going for Carlton, but I don’t feel like I model it off one specific player,” Faull said when asked who he modelled his game on.

“I try and get the good bits from each player and try and use that in my game.”
A rower!

Get him in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the Herald Sun today, Parfitt wants to stay at Geelong.

RESURGENT CAT KEEN TO STAY

Resurgent Cats free agent Brandan Parfitt is intent on staying Geelong even as he parks contract talks until later in the season.

Parfitt would be in demand if he chose to explore the market given his free agency status, age (26) and ball-winning ability averaging seven clearances in his first five games of the year.

Last year he had few suitors but was happy to stay put and benefited from a new mindset of working on his weaknesses rather than wondering why he was out of the side.

Patrick Dangerfield’s absence from the midfield for up to six weeks will give Parfitt and players including Tom Atkins a chance to get more centre square time.

Parfitt is in a long line of Cats players including Jack Henry, Tyson Stengle and Jake Kolodjashnij who are looking to win new contracts.

But as usual no one wants to leave the Cats as they surge into premiership contention on the back of their youngsters and star turns from Jeremy Cameron.

If the saints get LDU on north of a Mill then they will continue to be a laughing stock and never achieve anything.
There’s 100 people on the bigfooty site who could list manage that side better

think is not an easy job, the biggest issue for those guys is managed the cap floor, if your team is full of average players who you giving money to? cant give it all to jack steele.

This to my mind shows why they should have either traded down a couple of spots last year ...or just taken the hard choice. OSullivan and Curtin last year would have made more sense. The temptation was to add McKercher and Dursma..fine young talent ..but they would add mids again next year (this year)

They may the choice again this year. Go for a standout mid ..or go for a tall... but this year the talls might not be as good. Do they go for the twins ..or go for another mid.

Makes me grateful that we have taken some hard choices. Picking the likes of Conway and OSullivan ..do not give you the instant bang that a mid might but if you pick well then you get the reward down the track.

This to my mind shows why they should have either traded down a couple of spots last year ...or just taken the hard choice. OSullivan and Curtin last year would have made more sense. The temptation was to add McKercher and Dursma..fine young talent ..but they would add mids again next year (this year)

They may the choice again this year. Go for a standout mid ..or go for a tall... but this year the talls might not be as good. Do they go for the twins ..or go for another mid.

Makes me grateful that we have taken some hard choices. Picking the likes of Conway and OSullivan ..do not give you the instant bang that a mid might but if you pick well then you get the reward down the track.

Not taking Curtin with McKercher is a puzzle that will stay with me a long time.

Like a lot of bottom teams, they stay too long in the accumulation phase, overlooking development as the true source of improvement. They need to settle on 4-5 inside mids as their core, and build around them. No point having 8 talented and expenseive inside mids you can't play that many.

What is their timeline for success?
What is the cap cost in the 3rd-4th year of having all of these top 5 picks?
Does having more top 5 picks increase the odds of having a top 5 dud?

IMO the only really bad use of their top 5 picks was overlooking McDonald for Phillips, JHF like Schache before him was really public that the team that drafted him should draft him.

How much of our longer term decisions were resource driven? if we had pick 3 would we have grabbed O'Sullivan or looked for a downgrade.

According to the Herald Sun today, Parfitt wants to stay at Geelong.
Interesting…

I wonder if he gets squeezed out of the team by finals (like Sav did) he would feel the same way? In 2025 I think it doesn’t get easier with development from Clark, Bruhn, Bowes and others wanting to go through the middle. I think Parf is in that mix but if he wants to be first pick I am not convinced it will be Cats? At the moment he will be feeling good (like Sav was last year with Henry out) but if all back for finals and he isn’t in the team I wonder whether the appeal elsewhere might grow?

Good for the club if we can sign him though

Well now you've done it... I'm looking forward to us welcoming a KPF with our first pick

It looks like we are going to end up with a late first rounder this year. If it ends up at the draft, all the other teams will have picked the mids and key forwards clean by the time we get a pick. Very rarely there is a gun key forward still available at like 15. We might actually be better off taking the best KPD for instance. Then we would have flexibility in how we use SDK, COS & Henry who can all potentially play multiple positions moving forward.

Like a lot of bottom teams, they stay too long in the accumulation phase, overlooking development as the true source of improvement. They need to settle on 4-5 inside mids as their core, and build around them. No point having 8 talented and expenseive inside mids you can't play that many.

What is their timeline for success?
What is the cap cost in the 3rd-4th year of having all of these top 5 picks?
Does having more top 5 picks increase the odds of having a top 5 dud?

IMO the only really bad use of their top 5 picks was overlooking McDonald for Phillips, JHF like Schache before him was really public that the team that drafted him should draft him.

How much of our longer term decisions were resource driven? if we had pick 3 would we have grabbed O'Sullivan or looked for a downgrade.
What experience do you have at this?? You are a Geelong supporter! 😳😀

It looks like we are going to end up with a late first rounder this year. If it ends up at the draft, all the other teams will have picked the mids and key forwards clean by the time we get a pick. Very rarely there is a gun key forward still available at like 15. We might actually be better off taking the best KPD for instance. Then we would have flexibility in how we use SDK, COS & Henry who can all potentially play multiple positions moving forward.

I don't see it as a hard rule that if you draft a KPF with late rounder you won't get quality, draft picks are speculative in all positions by then anyway. If you need x get x, rather then get y you don't really need and hope to turn another y into an x. Port have gotten a few in that 17-20 range

Remove this Banner Ad

Back