Prediction Giants BF Board 2022 Mock Draft

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
This is the GWS Mock Draft order for the GWS Board Mock Draft.

Reminder, we'll select 3 rounds - as we get close to that (after a number of bids & matches, the last 'third round pick' will come earlier, I'll assess where we actually finish.

Reminder to tag me into any trades, bids & matches, and I will update the draft order after any bid matches (with an explanation of the matching cost & impact on draft order - based on my imperfect understanding of the AFL rules!). Also tag the next poster once you've selected your player.

I will pin this post & also update selected players as I can.

RoundPickPicks after 2022 TradesPointsWith DiscountPlayer selected
Round 11Brisbane30002400Will Ashcroft (bid match)
Round 12GWS Giants25172014Harry Sheezel
Round 13North Melbourne22341787George Wardlaw
Round 14North Melbourne20341627Aaron Cadman
Round 15Essendon18781502Elijah Tsatas
Round 16Gold Coast Suns17511401Reuben Ginbey
Round 17Hawthorn16441315Mattes Phillipou
Round 18Geelong Cats15511241Jhye Clark
Round 19West Coast Eagles14691175Cameron Mackenzie
Round 110St Kilda13951116Bailey Humphrey
Round 111Carlton13291063Jedd Busslinger
Round 112Western Bulldogs12681014Oliver Hollands
Round 113West Coast Eagles1212970Ed Allan
Round 114Melbourne1161929Matthew Jefferson
Round 115Sydney Swans1112890Lachlan Cowan
Round 116GWS Giants1067854Jacob Konstanty
Round 117Brisbane1025820Jaspa Fletcher (bid match)
Round 118Essendon985788Josh Weddle
Round 219Sydney Swans948751Brayden George
Round 220GWS Giants912715Charlie Clarke
Round 221GWS Giants878681Coby Burgiel
Round 222West Coast Eagles845648Elijah Hewett
Round 223Western Bulldogs815618Lewis Hayes
Round 224Essendon785588Alwyn Davey Jr (bid match)
Round 225Collingwood756559Harry Barnett
Round 226North Melbourne729532Olli Hotton
Compensation Pick27Hawthorn703506Henry Hustwaite
Round 228Collingwood677480Isaac Keeler
Round 229West Coast Eagles653456Darcy Jones
Round 230Adelaide629432Max Michalanney (bid match)
Round 231GWS Giants606409Harry Rowston (bid match)
Round 232Collingwood584387Mitch Sybkowski
Round 233St Kilda563366Harry Lemmey
Round 234Carlton542345Max Gruzewski
Compensation Pick35Fremantle522325Sam Gilbey
Round 236St Kilda502305Adam D'Aloia
Round 237Port Adelaide483286Ethan Phillips
Round 238Melbourne465268Jakob Ryan
Round 339Western Bulldogs446249Jaiden Magor
Round 340North Melbourne429232Harvey Gallagher
Round 341Hawthorn412215Billy Dowling
Round 342Sydney Swans395198Jed Hagan
Round 343North Melbourne378181Cooper Harvey
Round 344Fremantle362165Jed Adams
Round 345Gold Coast Suns347150Noah Long
Round 346St Kilda331134James Van Es
Round 347Hawthorn316119Kaleb Smith
Round 348Essendon302105Anthony Munkara (bid match)
Compensation Pick49Hawthorn28790Jaxon Binns
Round 350Carlton27376Casey Voss
Round 351Collingwood25962Blake Drury
Round 352Carlton24649Will Verrall
Round 353Richmond23336Luke Teal
Compensation Pick54GWS Giants22023Pass
Round 355Geelong Cats20710Tom McCallum
Round 356Adelaide1940Cooper Vickery
Round 357Port Adelaide1820Jason Gilbee
Round 358Richmond1700Phoenix Foster
Round 459Geelong Cats1580Pass
Round 460Adelaide1460Tom Scully
Round 461Carlton1350Pass
Round 462Fremantle1230Nick Sadler
Round 463Western Bulldogs1120Pass
Round 464GWS Giants1010Pass
Round 465Sydney Swans900Pass
Round 466Fremantle800Harry Boyd
Round 467West Coast Eagles690Hudson O'Keefe
Round 468Port Adelaide590Ted Clohesy
Round 469St Kilda490Pass
Round 470Carlton390Pass
Round 471Western Bulldogs290Pass
Round 472Richmond190Archie Lovelock (tentative)
Round 473Fremantle90Pass
Round 474Melbourne00Toby McMullin
Round 475Sydney Swans00Pass
Round 476Port Adelaide00Pass
Round 577St Kilda00Pass
Round 578Richmond00Pass
Round 579Melbourne00Pass
Round 580Brisbane00Max Knobel
Round 581Brisbane00Pass
Round 582Brisbane00Pass
Round 583Essendon00Pass

Rioli2Rioli, Orange crush, PMBangers, sydney_gws, Andre the Giant, GWS Goose

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Rioli2Rioli - you have the pleasure of the final pick of the draft, on behalf of Brisbane. They've only taken the two picks, matching for Will Ashcroft & Jaspa Fletcher, and taking a fair draft point deficit into 2023.

So, who you gonna call ... out?
Thanks mate

Last but not least Brisbane select Max Knobel
height: 206cm
weight: 91kg
D.O.B: 27-06-2004

Project Ruckman that will need alot of development but has the pedigree and most importantly the height and athleticism
Has not stopped growing and could end up a mobile 208/209 105+kg monster Ruckman that can run jump and kick

Perfect pick late

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
And we're done.

I hope that those who particpated enjoyed the experience, and found it worthwhile. Many thanks to Rioli2Rioli and Pie 4 Life being outside participants bringing their expertise to our board, and of course our resident draftwatcher PMBangers and the Rookie Me Central team whose player profiles were important sources of information.

For posters representing club selectors, feel free to summarise your selections, list management rationale and assessment of how you went across the draft (and potentially draft + trade period), what you might yet look for via the rookie draft (which we won't do), PSD & PSSP.

For any posters, feel free to (respectfully) comment on club selections, what you might have done differently, what you might hope GWS do in the actual draft, and possibly what lessons or thoughts seeing this experience happen might have given you when looking forward to the actual draft.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
And we're done.

I hope that those who particpated enjoyed the experience, and found it worthwhile. Many thanks to Rioli2Rioli and Pie 4 Life being outside participants bringing their expertise to our board, and of course our resident draftwatcher PMBangers and the Rookie Me Central team whose player profiles were important sources of information.

For posters representing club selectors, feel free to summarise your selections, list management rationale and assessment of how you went across the draft (and potentially draft + trade period), what you might yet look for via the rookie draft (which we won't do), PSD & PSSP.

For any posters, feel free to (respectfully) comment on club selections, what you might have done differently, what you might hope GWS do in the actual draft, and possibly what lessons or thoughts seeing this experience happen might have given you when looking forward to the actual draft.
I am sure we do better than my selections for GWS ( I am not really a junior football watcher as such). Although time will tell who is better out of Cadman and Sheazel.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Agree. I still really rate Sheezel as a player, but can understand if the club has come to a judgement on his flight risk and opts out.

What he's said publicly (and a couple of other kids have said similar comments) about "preferring" to stay in Melbourne but "doing his best for whichever club" selects him is - on the surface - reasonable, providing he means that truthfully. But if it's code for "I'm coming home to Melbourne in 2 years, but I can't say that out loud" it's rubbish for a (supposedly national) competition.

However, I do like Charlie Clarke in a similar role, and he (like Cadman) seems more enthusiastic about leaving Victoria. So, selecting that pair across #1 & #18/19 seems like a decent plan for me. I just want a running midfielder with one other pick, plus Harry Rowston for some inside grunt & being GWS Academy, and I would be satisfied.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So, clubs I picked for summary.

Port Adelaide:

List size @ end of season 2022: 37
Out: 6 (Gray, Motlop retired, Amon FA, Frederick, Skinner, Williams delisted)
In: 3 (JHF, Rioli traded, Evans DFA)
Current senior list: 33 players
Current rookies: 4 Cat A (Dumont, McEntee, Pasini, Teakle) + will redraft Williams
Live picks: 4 (33, 60, 84, 102) - may promote Pasini, (therefore may just take two picks)

I drafted Ethan Phillips (KPD), Jason Gilbee (winger/HBF), Ted Clohesy (inside mid).

The bulk of Port's end of season list work was done via the trade period, bringing in a gun midfielder (JHF) and a couple of small forwards. Their list has a clear need for quality KPD, hence the best mature-age KPD in Phillips, and I did consider bringing in a second tall, but opted for Gilbee as a potential Amon-replacement on the wing. The last draft pick may not occur if Port upgrade Pasini, so a little more speculative, but aimed at longer term list refreshment given Trav Boak's age. Overall, I'm satisfied that the ND selections are close to the money in dealing with needs.

This would leave Port with 1 live selection in the rookie draft (or PSD or PSSP) - I'd be tempted to go for one more developing tall given the dearth on the Port list. Kyle Marshall is one I'd be tempted to go with, a local junior who might develop in a professional club environment.

KM.png

Athletic key defender Kyle Marshall is one of the many prospects of his role pressing their case to fill clubs' needs for tall cover down back. The South Adelaide product is also capable of rucking given his 198cm standing and springy vertical leap, but found a home in defence throughout 2022. He turned out 15 times in a South Adelaide side which missed the Under 18 finals series, but also got to show his wares in state colours during the Under 18 National Championships.

There is clear upside with Marshall, who ranked top for jumps off both feet at the South Australian draft combine, and clocked in second across 20m in an impressive feat considering his size. While certainly raw, he utilises some of that mobility on-field when reading the play and intercepting, or alternatively when made to rebound.

Marshall offers great range as a key back, able to match it with new-age key forwards for reach, dexterity and speed off the mark. He'll need to put on a bit of size to truly round out his defensive acumen, but comes built with some of the tools recruiters look for in fledgling key defenders. After a strong top-age campaign, Marshall has entered the draft conversation and was able to further prove his value at the state combine.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Next ND summary, Saints.

St Kilda

Starting list size: 36
Out: 5 (Geary, Hannebery, Kent, Ryder retired, Long traded)
In: 1 (Cordy FA)
Current senior list: 32 players
Current rookies: 4 Cat A (Hayes, Heath, Sharman, Wood)
Live picks: 6 (9, 28, 32, 47, 85, 103)

I selected: Bailey Humphrey, Harry Lemmey, Adam D'Aloia, James Van Es.

I'd be surprised if Humphrey survived to this pick for real, but in our mock draft this was the easiest call. Saints' midfield needs more "oomph', some 'x-factor', and Humphrey will provide that. I agree that his kicking needs work, but his attack on the ball in contests and breaking out of there is a massive positive for a team that must rely so heavily on Jack Steele. And he'll also add a dimension to the forward line. As will Lemmey, if he can develop in a professional environment, to be the perfect foil of two tall spearheads alongside Max King. The last two picks are more workmanlike, the inside mid in Adam D'Aloia is a bit "vanilla" as BF likes to say, but can be the willing grunt (or even just back up grunt) that every team needs. While Van Es provides another developing tall option at the back.

Overall, a blend of types and styles that I think fits well for the Saints' list.

That leaves 2 spots to fill. I'm not sure I'd go to the rookie draft for Saints. One whom I reckon would be a good fit for them would be the former Tiger Riley Collier-Dawkins. He could add some size and pace into the midfield that needs a bit more pizzaz.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Final team summary.

Gold Coast

Starting list size: 38
Out: 5 (Bowes, Corbett, Rankine trade, Markov delisted, Thompson retired)
In: 2 (Berry, Long trade)
Current senior list: 35 players
Current rookies: 6 Cat A (Brock, Casboult, Faulkhead, Moyle, Tsitas, Uwland) + 1 Cat B (Oea)
Live picks: 3 (5, 45, 71)

I assumed one rookie upgrade, so just the two live picks, which were Reuben Ginbey and Noah Long.

The problem with the Suns' list is not a lack of quality. However, I do feel that the match of Ginbey with Suns (pushed on BF) does makes sense. With a few long-term injuries to their running backs (and Markov's delisting) and a set midfield, Ginbey can start in his more familiar position down back with a bit of room to let loose his booming kick without being too worried by his inaccuracy (which he clearly needs to work on), and fill in as an inside midfielder if injuries occur there, or set himself to make a move there in the fullness of time. Long is a quality small forward, and with the departure of Izak Rankine can stake a claim for a position there in competition with the likes of Sexton and Berry.

With the early pick, Suns have a great choice, and in my humble opinion any of the next 6 in our mock draft could have added some value to their list, with Phillipou (mid-fwd), Humphrey (mid-fwd) & Busslinger (KPD) the foremost in competition. Time will tell whether this selection would be the optimal choice.

I don't see Suns needing to play in the rookie draft space, given their list situation, other than moving players there for the TPP $ benefit.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The starkest issue for me is around pick #31. While there is some talent at that point in this draft IMHO, it's a massive risk for GWS to hold that pick when Harry Rowston can be perceived to be in that mid-second round and later area. Some clubs may use that as a lightning rod to bid on Harry to force use to use the pick. Not all clubs are like that, GWS certainly isn't, but a few would.

I would aim to trade it out before draft night. As per my comments in the main trading/draft/etc thread, a trade with Brisbane for Geelong's future 2nd round pick, whilst not the best pure value, might give best longer-term value. Leaving us with #1, 15, 18, 19, 57 & 61 to take to the draft, so 4 picks inside 20 and bid matching for Rowston (which we can from an early 30s bid without attracting any carryover points into 2023). Happy to entertain other clubs with second round picks they would be willing to trade, or otherwise throw it in with #15, 18 or 19 for an earlier pick if we have a target in mind.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
West Coast Summary
Pick 9 - Cameron Mackenzie
Pick 13 - Ed Allan
Pick 22 - Elijah Hewett
Pick 29 - Darcy Jones
Pick 67 - Hudson O'Keeffe

Pretty easy drafting for West Coast all things considered, I really think they'll want to attack their midfield deficiencies with full force this draft and selected accordingly, without limiting myself to WA selections onlys even if it does somewhat appear that way. Essentially I just went for accuracy as best I could, even though I reckon they'll take Allan at 9 come the actual draft I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger that early, with Mackenzie just too good and flexible to ignore. Had a feeling Allan would slip to 13 in this mock anyway, but again I reckon he goes at 9 on November 28th. Hewett as at 22 was too hard to ignore in terms of talent, I reckon he's available there in the actual thing as well, and West Coast would likely back themselves to get the best out of him. Jones self explanatory, despite his height and size he's too good a talent for West Coast to look past when they have needs in the midfield and small forward stocks, with Jones likely filling a role inside 50 at his peak or maybe on a wing. I was 50/ 50 on O'Keeffe and Knobel, they need a promising young ruck with Nic Nat near the end and their other options really ordinary, but I went with O'Keeffe just on the basis that a) he'll be AFL ready sooner and b) he has family connections in WA. If Hewett wasn't in the equation I probably would've jumped for Jones at 22 and gone Kaleb Smith at 29, but I'm much happier with the result I got. In an ideal world I would've found a way to get Barnett as well through a trade, but I'm too lazy to organise that.

Melbourne Summary
Pick 14 - Matthew Jefferson
Pick 38 - Jakob Ryan
Pick 74 - Toby McMullin

Another pretty easy one, they need someone in the JVR age bracket that'll pair with him in a few years as a KPF and Jefferson fits that well, especially as a guy that stays closer to goal with how JVR roams up the ground they could be a really damaging duo. I did want to trade up for Ollie Hollands with this pick though given he fits an Ed Langdon mould of winger with neater disposal, so pairing them up would also be neat for them but didn't happen. Ryan comes in as Hunt goes out and a guy like Hibberd gets older. Not even sure if Hibberd is best 22 anymore, probably not, but Ryan was also easily best available for me and I find it obscene that all these mocks on bigfooty have him in the late 30's and 40's, someone's gonna get a real bargain if that actually happens. McMullin was the only player left in my top 40 I think, so again best available and adds to the Dee's small forward brigade with the potential to push up onto a wing long term. I actually had Luke Teal pegged as my pick here from a long way out because he just feels like a Melbourne pick to me, but he went much earlier

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Agree. I still really rate Sheezel as a player, but can understand if the club has come to a judgement on his flight risk and opts out.

What he's said publicly (and a couple of other kids have said similar comments) about "preferring" to stay in Melbourne but "doing his best for whichever club" selects him is - on the surface - reasonable, providing he means that truthfully. But if it's code for "I'm coming home to Melbourne in 2 years, but I can't say that out loud" it's rubbish for a (supposedly national) competition.

However, I do like Charlie Clarke in a similar role, and he (like Cadman) seems more enthusiastic about leaving Victoria. So, selecting that pair across #1 & #18/19 seems like a decent plan for me. I just want a running midfielder with one other pick, plus Harry Rowston for some inside grunt & being GWS Academy, and I would be satisfied.
I would have rather traded with West Coast only,
Perhaps 2,20,2023r3 for 3,15,2023r4.
Gives us 2,12,18,20,31.
Take cadman at 2, or if taken sheezel.
I think west coast and us did worst out of the megatrade.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Oops, forgot about picking for poor ol' Freo.

Fremantle

Starting list size: 36
Out: 8 (Mundy, Valente retired, Acres, Lobb, Logue, Meek, Tucker traded, Western delisted)
In: 3 (Corbett, Jackson, O'Meara traded)
Current senior list: 31 players
Current rookies: 5 Cat A (Banfield, Kuek, Schultz, Treacy, Worner) + 1 Cat B (Kelm)
Live picks: 6 (30, 44, 67, 76, 89, 107) - assumed one rookie upgrade.

I took: Sam Gilbey (HBF/wing), Jed Adams (KPD), Nick Sadler, (mid/fwd), Harry Boyd (ruck).

Perhaps Freo fans might quibble with a few of my choices here, but they were all to a clear rationale in my mind. Freo had a few losses across all areas of the ground and paid big time to get Luke Jackson into the club (with a reported "big midfielder" role). Despite the retirements and delistings, I thought their inside players are set, and so prioritised outside, where Sam Gilbey - incidentally a local, but not just because - was still available at their first. That cost me either Jed Hagan or Ethan Phillips (KPD being a high priority too), one of whom I could have picked instead. With KPD being the next priority, but having rated Phillips below Gilbey (& thus foregone him), I went to the local Jed Adams ahead of James Van Es. That too may attract some Freo questions, but I'm honestly not the hugest fan of Van Es. Sadler with a late pick is a multi-positional mid with some pace and goal-kicking nous, so I think a neat pick up who'd help Freo's list, and represents excellent value at that point of the draft. The last pick was always going to be a ruck. I debated hard about Max Knobel, but felt he was just too much of a developmental option (and to be truthful, I thought he might last into the rookie draft, and we're one team with a few spare spots). Hudson O'Keefe was the other kid I looked hard at, but in the end elected to go with a more experienced guy. Perhaps that could have been the wrong call, and I should have taken Knobel or O'Keefe and rookied Boyd.

Anyway, that was my approach and those were my thoughts. Perhaps Simmofreo if he's around could make some comments on like/dislike and preferred alternatives.

Back