Analysis Giants Coaching. Your thoughts.

Simmofreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Have a look over at Freo and you will see that changing, or not having a coach can cause a bit of chaos.

We forget sometimes that everyone in club land is trained to give "positive media" when being interviewed.

But like in any job, some players personally get on with the coach and some don't.

The ones that do can feel a bit unguarded when a change happens, as they don't know where they will stand with a new coach.

I still believe there is something wrong with our S&C team.

If we had the majority of our team on the park all year, I put my house on the fact we would have finished top 2.

I want to see Leon coach a year where the club is not injury cursed and having 4 different players coming in per week.

However I think a director of coaching (which happens a lot these days) in the sheedy mould would also help Leon wonders.

But hey there are only 6 teams left and we are still one of them

Win the flag and we will be calling LC a genius :)

Go giants !!

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buzzasto DaSilva

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
I think we need to get in touch with Don Pyke, immediately.

Showed himself to be an innovative and very good coach before Brett Burton can't in and Mark Riccutio was given the keys to the club. A stable environment (which we have) and Pyke will thrive in my opinion.

Danny88

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So is the general consensus that Pyke is not to blame for the culture issues at the crows? As head coach, he would have significant say in how they run things. I wouldn't touch him... he coached back half football in an era that demands forward half football.

His game style is archaic

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
21912F48-3843-4E56-A6DE-3BD98D983F6E.jpeg

In fairness to Leon, he doesn’t quite have these resources to help. I reckon if he had more support he can get the job done.

Look at Hardwick at Richmond, as soon as he had the right team around him he shone.

I need to know he has had an equal chance before judging him fully.

Buzzasto DaSilva

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Interesting, left-field, do you mean as like a mentor coach? (His vibe is very 'corporate'. Does that suit?)
As coach. I think he would be perfect.

So is the general consensus that Pyke is not to blame for the culture issues at the crows? As head coach, he would have significant say in how they run things. I wouldn't touch him... he coached back half football in an era that demands forward half football.

His game style is archaic
It's easy to forget that less than two years agoz, he was seen as the master who too Adelaide to the edge of a flag. I really do think that he's been a victim of rubbish circumstances in Adelaide.

kulak

Club Legend
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Don Pyke is an interesting case for sure

The 2017 GF was a massive choke. Smashed in the contested possessions by almost 50. Failed to try at all after quarter time.

Don’s reaction was to drive the dumb pre season camp which made the whole club toxic and ultimately caused his departure.

Also you have a playing group scarred by the death of Dean Bailey as senior assistant coach and the Phil Walsh as head coach a couple of years later.

Add to that the worst list management in the league which saw fit to trade out talented young players and spend the proceeds on slow old players who duplicated existing players.

Adelaide’s small forward group would be close to the worst in the league, and alongside a slow and old group of tall forwards that means free counter attacks for any opponent with a couple of good running defenders.

So the game plan this year is in my view a reaction to the list he has been given. The other old slow teams like Geelong went a similar way, slow kicks and no run and carry.

Overall how much of the outcome is about Don and how much was out of his control?

I have heard lots of players describe Don as a football genius, but few of them seem to actually like him.

I reckon if GWS could get Don as a senior assistant to Leon then you would have a great team with complimentary strengths.

Would be unsure about having him as the stand alone head coach. Guarantee the Giants would be playing some beautiful football but not sure they would have the grit and hustle of the current group.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Don Pyke is an interesting case for sure

The 2017 GF was a massive choke. Smashed in the contested possessions by almost 50. Failed to try at all after quarter time.

Don’s reaction was to drive the dumb pre season camp which made the whole club toxic and ultimately caused his departure.

Also you have a playing group scarred by the death of Dean Bailey as senior assistant coach and the Phil Walsh as head coach a couple of years later.

Add to that the worst list management in the league which saw fit to trade out talented young players and spend the proceeds on slow old players who duplicated existing players.

Adelaide’s small forward group would be close to the worst in the league, and alongside a slow and old group of tall forwards that means free counter attacks for any opponent with a couple of good running defenders.

So the game plan this year is in my view a reaction to the list he has been given. The other old slow teams like Geelong went a similar way, slow kicks and no run and carry.

Overall how much of the outcome is about Don and how much was out of his control?

I have heard lots of players describe Don as a football genius, but few of them seem to actually like him.

I reckon if GWS could get Don as a senior assistant to Leon then you would have a great team with complimentary strengths.

Would be unsure about having him as the stand alone head coach. Guarantee the Giants would be playing some beautiful football but not sure they would have the grit and hustle of the current group.
Don is worth about 20 mill, a very successful businessman in his own right. He is a WA guy so I reckon if he didn’t go to Freo he might take some time out.

He might not be likeable but he can coach and is very unfairly maligned given personnel changes and the list itself. The side is too slow and the camp killed the vibe.

He’d be a good get but I reckon he wants to be head honcho or nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 8, 2000
Ask me tomorrow
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cronulla, Dallas Cowboys, Forest
I was critical of Leon Cameron on the main board during the year. I just felt like he was driving a Ferrari in 1st gear far too often and hadn't motivated the players enough.

The last few weeks ... whether player lead or coach lead, everyone involved deserves credit.

Apologies Leon. You're in the big dance. Time to devise a plan to negate the Tigers run from their defensive half, to not leave Lynch or Martin one out in the square and to keep them going when the Tigers are at their strongest in the last quarter.

Hope to see you holding up the cup after the final siren.

Top Bottom