News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah agree. I found that article, it's actually a couple of years old and my figures were off numbers wise, but percentage of comparative marketing spend I was close.

Thanks for sharing mate. Interesting reading.

In terms of promotion, I wonder if anybody has been going to the pub sites as being advertised on the podcast and by the club and what the turnout has been like?
I've been going to them, turnout has been decent I'd say.

First was the lowest at about 20-30 people (Silverwater), second was about 50-60 (Seven Hills) and third was about that 50-60 mark (Burwood/Inner West). Last two have been very decent turnouts but in two very different locations. Notice it tends to lean towards people I haven't seen at the previous events as a result of it being somewhere different each time. I'd say it will pick up as more events are held.

The venues the events have been held at have been putting on our games live and loud for the following games so we've go a number of live and loud footy venues popping up which has been great :D

E.g.

I said to my mate, what a turnaround from around mid last year when we were struggling to find a venue to watch the footy out in the west and just went without or had to travel into the inner city.

Much better this year, by leaps and bounds. The engagement and interest across the board seems to have increased. Even have league mates that don't follow AFL tell me how great the Giants are going or congratulate me on the win.

Last edited:

Kieren Briggs on his rise from fringe big man to GWS Giants’ No. 1 ruckman

Kieren Briggs spent four years as the third-choice ruckman for GWS — then his career exploded overnight. He chats to LACHLAN MCKIRDY about how it happened and this weekend’s battle with Brodie Grundy.

Lachlan McKirdy

03 May 2024

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

It was late in the Giants’ match against the Lions on Anzac Day when a thought crossed Kieren Briggs’ mind for the first time in his AFL career.

The Giants were safe with an unassailable lead in the fourth quarter and Briggs had picked up the ball in space. Outside him, Tom Green was streaming down the boundary line. Inside, Xavier O’Halloran was calling for the ball.

But this was Briggs’ chance to shine and finally leave the ‘no-bounce club’.

“I probably could have given it off, but if you can use it, you use it,” Briggs said.

“It wasn’t (in my mind). It’s funny looking back at it, it looks like I’ve just had the arrogance to bounce it. But in my head, I was worried I had had a few too many steps.

“I went to have a bounce and then I remembered it was a bit dewy and I was like, I hope this comes back to me.”

It was the cherry on top of another dominant performance for the emerging ruckman. Briggs finished with a career-high 34 hit-outs and eight clearances against last year’s grand finalists as his stocks continue to rise in the competition.

The 24-year-old has come a long way in the past 12 months. This time last year, he was still on the fringes of the Giants’ best 23 waiting for his opportunity.

Now, he’s the first-choice ruckman for one of the premiership favourites and has starred in each of GWS’ past 24 matches. It’s a far cry from the nine matches he had played across four seasons before last May.

“I always knew I had the ability in myself and it was probably a bit of a confidence thing as well when I took the step from VFL to AFL,” Briggs said.

“But last year, getting that consistency in my game was the biggest issue. Finding that has been really pleasing.

“(The midfield group has) played a lot of games together now in such a short period of time, so we know what each other’s strengths are. We talk about bringing your strengths, whether it’s Tom Green being a bull or Finn Callaghan’s run and carry … it’s exciting that we have such a vast calibre of players that work for us.”

Despite being one of the top three ruckmen in the competition this season for clearances (6.7) and centre clearances (3.1), Briggs’ rise hasn’t been without its challenges.

A perfect example was in the Giants’ round-six loss to Carlton. GWS’ midfield was thoroughly outclassed by the Blues, with Marc Pittonet and Tom De Koning nullifying Briggs’ impact around the stoppages.

Taking lessons out of performances like that is the next step for Briggs to evolve into one of the AFL’s elite ruckmen.

“We got challenged the week before against Carlton in our midfield and were definitely beaten in that space,” Briggs said.

“Shane (Mumford — the Giants’ ruck coach) and I reviewed the game pretty hard and I probably wasn’t good enough in the contest. Credit to both of them, they came out and performed well.

“But it’s not something I get my head down about. Footy comes around quickly and the next week you’re playing another game. I think it was a good learning curve in places where I can improve my game, but it wasn’t something I was too disappointed about.”

The next challenge for Briggs is a showdown against former All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy and the high-flying Swans at the SCG.

A rusted-on Giants fan as a kid growing up in the Hills District, the famous old ground never attracted the same aura for Briggs as many other footy fans growing up in the state. But as he prepares for just his second Sydney Derby, and his first on enemy territory, he’s hopeful of continuing his recent dominance against a player he always looked up to.

“I didn’t really start playing until I was 12 or 13,” he said. “So I probably watched more games at ANZ Stadium than I did at the SCG.

“It’s got a lot of history around it, and sport there is a bit sacred so it’s exciting to run out in front of 40,000+ this week.

“I’ve looked at (Brodie’s) game for a few years and really valued his follow-up work. I regard him as one of the best in the comp, so it’s definitely a big challenge this week and it will probably go a long way to how the game unfolds

“I’m hearing a lot of people talk about the hype for the match. Being from Sydney as well, it’s exciting to see how far AFL has come.

“With two teams going really well from Sydney, it’s a bit of a vibe this week. It’ll be exciting to see the crowd up and about and hopefully, there’s a few more orange fans there this week.”

Can Sam Taylor walk the talk? That and four other burning Sydney derby questions​

By Vince Rugari​

May 3, 2024 — 7.45pm

The first Sydney derby of the AFL season is here, and it’s a belter. The Swans are second, the Giants are third, and September looks like it’s going to be pretty busy for anyone in this city with a Sherrin fetish.
As far as Saturday afternoon is concerned, it’s difficult to split these two sides - so let’s take a closer look at some of the key questions surrounding this tantalising clash.
Giant [PLAYERCARD]Sam Taylor[/PLAYERCARD] spoils against Sydney’s Joel Amartey in a niggly pre-season clash at Tramway Oval.

Giant Sam Taylor spoils against Sydney’s Joel Amartey in a niggly pre-season clash at Tramway Oval.CREDIT:GETTY

Will Sam Taylor be able to back up his words?

Everyone should be grateful to the star Giants defender, who lobbed an unexpected grenade in the Moore Park direction on Monday by describing the Swans as “a bit smug” and their players as “chirpy” on-field conversationalists.

It was somewhat out of character from an otherwise impeccably polite man, but derbies are always better with real beef, and he served it up beautifully, so we thank him. Sydney chose not to respond; John Longmire said he hadn’t even heard Taylor’s comments, which is hard to believe, and then showered the Giants in praise, saying they didn’t have a bad player in their line-up.

Taylor will probably get booed by the partisan SCG crowd now and will certainly be lined up for some special treatment from Swans players, which is par for the course. He has a big enough job as it is on the fast-improving Logan McDonald, the new focal point of Sydney’s post-Buddy forward line, so we’ll see if he can walk the talk. Let’s hope the umpires’ mics pick up some of the chat, which is bound to be riveting.
[PLAYERCARD]Toby Greene[/PLAYERCARD] is back for the Giants.

Toby Greene is back for the Giants.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS

How will the Swans stop Toby Greene?

You wouldn’t say the Giants didn’t miss Greene in last week’s thumping win over Brisbane - but it’s fair to say they didn’t need him, as such, so multi-faceted are the threats in their attack these days. What a luxury it is, though, to be able to inject a player of his calibre into a game like this, and what a frightening thought for the Swans: Greene hasn’t been held goalless in this fixture since 2016, and has kicked three, four, two and three in his last four derbies.

The returning Dane Rampe, Robbie Fox or Ollie Florent seem like the most obvious candidates to do a lockdown job on him, or at least try. But Florent, who has re-signed with the Swans for five more years, wouldn’t give away any hints about the match-up when we asked him this week. “I’m sure someone will go to him,” he said. “He’s a very, very dangerous player and well-respected. You can’t not put any attention into him, or he’ll do what he’s done in the past and play really well.” Cheers for that, Ollie, very helpful.

Will John Longmire regret not recalling Luke Parker?

No player has won the Brett Kirk Medal more often than Parker, who’s done it five times, including three in a row across 2021 and 2022. It doesn’t feel all that long ago when he used to carry Sydney’s midfield. But times change. Despite having fully recovered from a broken arm, Longmire has overlooked him for selection, banishing him to the VFL for a second straight week. It would have been Parker’s first game of the season and his first since stepping back from the co-captaincy with Dane Rampe to let Callum Mills skipper on his own. Is he underdone? Only the club knows. He’s been named as an emergency. Is Horse playing ducks and drakes?
[PLAYERCARD]Luke Parker[/PLAYERCARD], one of Sydney’s all-time greats, will be playing in the VFL for the second straight weekend.

Luke Parker, one of Sydney’s all-time greats, will be playing in the VFL for the second straight weekend.CREDIT:GETTY
Given the conditions (which we’ll come to in a moment) it might have made sense to drop one of Sydney’s three key forwards - probably Joel Amartey - and bring in Parker, a hardened warrior and proven wet-weather footballer who’s good in the clinches and knows what it takes to dominate these games. Instead, Longmire has put his faith in the players who have delivered for the Swans this far this season. But if they lose the midfield battle, or lose their bottle in moments when Parker’s experience would come in handy, that decision will be questioned.

If it rains, who benefits?

The forecast is easing somewhat for Saturday, but it’s still probably going to rain, and possibly heavily. History shows this derby is usually closely contested - six of the last nine have been decided by 20 points or less - so if you add in a wet field and a heavy ball, you should get a more physical, in-close battle. The Giants have had two days’ extra rest compared to the Swans, who’ve spent most of the week recovering rather than training, so that kind of game may favour them here. Both teams have gone reasonably tall despite the weather predictions, but GWS’s key position players are a fraction more nimble and mobile.

Ollie Florent has re-signed for four more years at the Swans.

How big will the crowd be?

The Swans are expecting a sell-out - but the weather will ultimately determine how many people actually show up. The final number could be anywhere between 32,000 and 37,000, depending on how many people decide to brave the conditions on Saturday morning and reach for the ponchos in the back of their wardrobes. Only twice before have more than 35,000 turned up for a derby at this venue, and one was an elimination final in 2018. It will be interesting to see how many Giants fans there are - usually it’s tough to spot any orange in the stands at the SCG, but given how well their team is going, there should be plenty of folks following that big, big sound from the west of the town. Especially since this is their first game in Sydney since mid-March.

The off-Broadway timeslot of 1.45pm is an interesting move by the AFL, though, considering how keen they’ve been on stimulating the NSW market. Perhaps better scheduling - like the Showdown, which was this week’s Thursday night feature, the first time South Australia’s marquee game has been given standalone status - could have helped this match shine a little bit more, inside and outside of Sydney.

Last edited:
The match time is extremely strange, but not as strange as the lions v suns at 7pm Sunday night when the gold coast is a decent drive away for any fans wanting to travel to Brisbane. I dunno why they put multiple derbies on, on the same weekend, they should break them up and have them as standalone fixtures.

The match time is extremely strange, but not as strange as the lions v suns at 7pm Sunday night when the gold coast is a decent drive away for any fans wanting to travel to Brisbane. I dunno why they put multiple derbies on, on the same weekend, they should break them up and have them as standalone fixtures.
They love their themes: "rivalry round"!

Monday is a public holiday in Qld.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) The Giants need Toby in top form to match the best​

Greater Western Sydney is sitting inside the top four with a 6-2 record despite Toby Greene failing to meet his own lofty standards this season. But the Giants were brushed aside by their rivals as Greene went goalless in a Sydney derby for the first time since 2016, while their skipper also finished without a major in the defeat to Carlton. After a career-high 66 goals last year, Greene has now booted only nine in seven matches for an average of 1.29 a game that is his lowest since 2015. While the Giants have set themselves up to chase a double chance even without their superstar forward firing, Greene's return to top form looms as critical to their hopes of matching it with the premiership contenders. - Martin Pegan

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/giant-james-peatling-talks-sydney-derby-loss-finding-a-role-for-gws/news-story/3d846f18e7d35cfeeb9be76c69000211

Giant James Peatling talks Sydney derby loss, finding a role for GWS​

The Giants were swept aside by Sydney on Saturday in the clash of two fierce rivals, but youngster James Peatling says he and his teammates are seeing the optimistic side of a lean patch of form.

Lachlan McKirdy

May 5, 2024 - 5:34PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

cef295ab64608561aac2dea4d58f86f08b4b42f3.webp

GWS Giants coach Adam Kingsley was left unimpressed after his team conceded a late third quarter goal against the Sydney Swans.

The Giants are taking solace in the fact they are far from finished the product yet still firmly entrenched in the top four after their disappointing Sydney Derby loss to the Swans on Saturday.

Despite a positive first quarter where they opened up a three-goal lead, the Giants struggled to adapt to the conditions once the rain arrived and were comprehensively beaten through the midfield.

But there was still a positive spin from Adam Kingsley as they prepare to bounce back against Essendon next weekend.
“Kingers put it in a really good way,” James Peatling said.

“This time last year we were 2-6. So, we know we’re not firing yet and we’re 6-2. There’s obviously work to be done, we’ve got to play some better footy.

“But we’re 6-2 which is better than being 2-6 like we were last year. There are glimpses of our best footy, but I think sustaining it for long periods of time is where we need to get to.”

Peatling was one of the Giants’ best in their 29-point loss to the Swans. Picture: Matt King/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Peatling was one of the Giants’ best in their 29-point loss to the Swans. Picture: Matt King/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

The Giants’ midfield suffered a big blow in the first half when Tom Green was subbed out of the game with an ankle injury. Scans on Sunday confirmed that the contested-ball gun has been cleared of anything serious and will be a test to take on the Bombers.

However, Peatling has been one of the players on the fringes to step up in recent weeks.

After four consecutive games as the sub, Peatling has played on-ball for the past fortnight and finished with a team-high 24 disposals against the Swans. He also picked up eight tackles, four clearances and three score assists.

The 23-year-old, who was picked up in the 2021 mid-season draft, is feeling more confident in the AFL and is hopeful of retaining his place going forward.

[PLAYERCARD]Tom Green[/PLAYERCARD] has been cleared of any serious injury after he was subbed out in the second quarter. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Tom Green has been cleared of any serious injury after he was subbed out in the second quarter. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

“Obviously you’re never comfortable because you’ve got some bloody good midfielders when everyone is fit and healthy,” Peatling said.

“It’s just about when I get my chance, taking the opportunity and playing some good footy and I’m enjoying it at the minute.

“Staying in the side is always nice. So it’s just playing my role, whether that’s a bit of inside or outside, depending on how we’re looking.”

While the Giants haven’t always come out on top around the stoppages this season, it’s rare to see them as thoroughly beaten as they were at the SCG. They ended the game -12 for clearances, -20 for hit-outs and -16 for contested possessions, contributing to an overwhelming number of scoring opportunities for the Swans.

It was a similar story in their only other loss for the year against Carlton, with Kingsley rightly disappointed with the lack of pressure his midfield was able to create further up the field.

[PLAYERCARD]Stephen Coniglio[/PLAYERCARD] will return against the Bombers in a big boost to the Giants’ midfield. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Stephen Coniglio will return against the Bombers in a big boost to the Giants’ midfield. Picture: Phil Hillyard
They will welcome back former co-captain Stephen Coniglio this weekend against the Bombers in a massive boost. But Kingsley knows there needs to be a more concerted effort if they are to match it with the best sides in 2024.

“(No Green or Coniglio) could have had an impact, but the reality is they weren’t there and I expect the guys there to get the job done,” Kingsley said.

“The first quarter was good in a sense that I felt like we were up for the contest … after quarter time, that wasn’t the case. (The Swans) had a real thirst for the contest that we didn’t have at their level.

“(Peatling) has been good for us … but he was part of a midfield that got comprehensively beaten. I thought we tried to over handball the ball. We’ve got a bit of work to do there.”

Last edited:
And the most watchable AFL team is…..US! Win or lose it’s great to watch us play - although I much prefer a win to a loss 😛

1. GWS GIANTS
There’s no team more fun in full flight than the Giants — the ultimate ‘kings of punish’ with a devastatingly good offensive profile. Sure, they mightn’t necessarily draw the monster crowds of bigger clubs, but they’ve been the best to watch over the last 12 months in totality. From the ‘Orange Tsunami’ that is their wave of runners to their star-studded personnel, GWS has the most exciting system and big guns to match it as the full package in 2024. For no matter who comes in and out of the side, you know you’re in for a show whenever Adam Kingsley’s side plays. Of course, Toby Greene is must-watch in his own right — arguably the most watchable player in the AFL despite being below his best so far this year. Extra points for having the best club song in the AFL too.

Callan Ward 300: How ‘cement head’ became one of the most important figures in GWS Giants history

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

11 MAY 2024

Callan Ward is rarely one to pump his own tyres.

The Giants’ midfield general, or Cement Head as he became known by many, thrives on going about his business while other teammates excel around him.

But even Ward knows it’s important to make an exception.

At training this week, he had a specially marked pair of Asics boots with ‘300’ marked on both heels and the names of his wife, Ruby, and two kids, Ralfie and Romeo on the instep. It’s the first sign that this weekend is different for Ward.

When he runs out against Essendon on Saturday afternoon, the club he and his family supported as a kid, the 34-year-old will become just the 103rd person to reach 300 VFL/AFL games. It’s a milestone well beyond Ward’s wildest expectations.

“Over the last 17 years there’s been plenty of ups and downs and it’s a journey I’ve really enjoyed,” Ward said.

“I’ve got the kids’ names and wife, Ruby, and I’m proud to be wearing these this weekend.

“I thought this game would be a lot more similar to the 150, 200, 250 milestones, but this one does feel a bit bigger now.

“I’ll be forever indebted to this footy club for getting me up here. To be here for almost half my life, they’ve probably seen me grow from a boy into a man.

“I can only thank the Giants for that.”

1715377578527.png

The midfielder came to Sydney looking for a challenge and has matured into one of the game’s greatest competitors. Picture: Phil Hillyard

WHY WARD WAS NUMBER ONE FOR THE GIANTS

Ward quickly established himself in the AFL as a player who loved responsibility.

After being drafted by the Western Bulldogs with the 19th pick of the 2007 draft, he juggled his first year of footy with completing year 12 at Williamstown High School. Twelve months later, he had established himself as part of the Dogs’ best 22 and played in back-to-back preliminary finals.

By the end of the 2011 campaign, the Giants were putting together the list for their first season in the AFL. While Ward was prepared to stay at the Dogs, a low-ball offer and the idea of an enticing project saw him move interstate.

“He was a critical piece in terms of what the club was trying to do,” inaugural Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni said.

“We knew he had some talent, he was a really great kick, and we knew that he was a fierce competitor. It was always going to be difficult trying to get a youngster out of a football club, but we just knew (we had to).

“The four young boys we ended up getting in Ward, Phil Davis, Tom Scully and also Rhys Palmer, they all had a really good work ethic in terms of wanting to get better.

“Even though Callan was only young at the time, we knew that he would show the boys the right way and that was critical as well.”

While the Giants also brought in experienced stars like Chad Cornes, Luke Power and Dean Brogan, Silvagni and the club’s coaching staff knew that the young players had to be the ones to drive the culture.

“I didn’t want to come by myself,” Davis said. “They really couldn’t tell me anything, it was very top secret.

“Just before I was about to commit (to the Giants), I heard whispers about Cal and Tom Scully. I had done a bit of recon work to find out more about Cal and you just heard great stories.

“As soon as he officially signed, we were legally allowed to talk. That first pre-season, the first conversation, you just got hit by his character. The biggest story of Cal’s career is the quality of person he is.”

THE EARLY YEARS OF LEADERSHIP

Ward was named as one of the club’s inaugural co-captains alongside Davis and Power as the expansion club quickly went from dream to reality.

There was already so much pressure on the pair of 21-year-olds to be the face of the Giants into the future that on-field leadership roles weren’t something they initially wanted.

“At the start, we were both reluctant,” Davis said. “With Cal being even more reluctant, both being 21 and finding our feet. We were lucky to be guided by Luke Power.

“We just knew that we had to take care of our own business. I was so fortunate to do it with Cal, his want to help people is enormous.

“I honestly can’t remember one disagreement that we had. We were so aligned and that’s what I think made it work so well.”

Ward hit the ground running in his first season in the orange and charcoal. He kicked the club’s first-ever goal against the Swans – “There was a trivia question on (the first goal) and I was the answer, so I was proud of that,” – and won the Giants’ best and fairest award in 2012.

But for Davis, Ward’s willingness to stand up in the toughest moments will always shine through. The Giants famously struggled in their second season in 2013, finishing with only one win. Yet, in that single victory, it was Ward who dragged them across the line.

“That second year for me, and probably Cal, was definitely the hardest at the time,” Davis said. “We both signed five-year deals and were a bit young to say anything else, so we just kept charging ahead.

“When we won against Melbourne, Cal got the three votes that day and basically won us that game.

“Across my career, he just always delivered. If he had a set shot, I knew he was gonna kick it. If it was a big tackle to be made, I knew he was going to make it. I just always knew and you don’t acknowledge how special that skill is enough.

“That was a particularly difficult period. Another year like that would have been a tough challenge, but I think when you can anchor towards a person like Cal, it makes it all seem far more achievable.”

HOW WARD FOUND THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH

As Ward continued to go from strength to strength at the Giants, the club mirrored his own progression.

They went from easy beats to finals contenders in 2016. By 2019, they had made a grand final and quickly asserted themselves as one of the most exciting teams in the competition.

Throughout the period, Ward was at the heart of their success. He was named in the All-Australian squad on three occasions and captained the Giants for 157 games.

But in 2022, as GWS started to slide back down the table, Ward was left questioning his own football mortality. Even though he was only 50 games away from bringing up his landmark 300th, the milestone had never felt further away.

“I really wasn’t enjoying my football once I got to 250 (games),” Ward said. “I wasn’t playing good football and we were losing games.

“It was a slog at the time and I just didn’t think I could play another 50, to be honest.”

Ward wasn’t alone with the club going through its toughest period since 2013. Leon Cameron departed as coach, Mark McVeigh was instilled as interim and the club finished with just six wins for the year.

However, their incredible revival under Adam Kingsley last season coincided with a rejuvenated Ward. Despite being in the twilight of his career, he felt back to his younger self.

“I thought he still had plenty to give,” Kingsley said. “It was probably just the sugar hit of having new people through the door, not just myself, but a bunch of new staff coming in.

“Since we walked through the door, he’s been enormous in being able to sell the message that we want to sell, train the way that we want to train and play the way we want to play.

“He played a pivotal role in us recapturing some of the form of the past and he continues to do that.”

While he’s no longer a captain of the club, his determination and passion still set the standards for those around him.

After an AC joint injury against Collingwood in the opening round, he was expected to be out for up to eight weeks. He was back on the field within a month and playing his first VFL game for the club, three weeks ahead of schedule.

He also plays an intangible role as the figurehead of the group. Whether it’s intense table tennis battles at Giants’ HQ or external pilates sessions where he ends up on the floor in fits of laughter, he has an extraordinary ability to find a connection with anyone.

“He’s got something in common with every single person,” Lachie Ash said. “He goes out of his way to make sure everyone’s going okay, he’s a father figure for the group.

“We do pilates together on a Tuesday … halfway through we’re rolling around on the floor.

“Coming in as a young kid I had Wardy alongside me, after watching him on TV for so long. Everyone in the club loves him and idolises him. He’s just unbelievable.”

“To be here now is really exciting,” Ward added. “The club has really turned around in the past couple of years and guys enjoy being here.”

THE PREMIERSHIP ELIXIR

There’s only one thing missing from Ward’s long list of accomplishments: an elusive premiership.

He’s played in five losing preliminary finals, the most heartbreaking of which was when he was subbed out with concussion in the Giants’ loss to the Bulldogs in 2016. He also missed the majority of the 2019 season through an ACL injury when they made the grand final.

It means Ward has unfinished business. The Giants are well placed to finally fulfil his destiny in 2024, and if they do, Ward knows that it would be his last action on the footy field.

“The more you go on and the older you get, the more you realise that time is starting to run out,” Ward said. “I want to play in a premiership, it’s all I want to do.

“The reason why we all play football is to play in a premiership. Especially once you get to 300 games, you really want to play in a premiership and I haven’t done that.

“There’s a good feel at the moment in this footy club. The way we play, the system and the game plan, it’s enjoyable at the moment.

“We’re all in it for that one goal, and hopefully, we can do that.”

But to boil down Ward’s career as a summary of his accolades is an oversimplification of one of the most important players in the AFL this century.

The Giants have had many influential figures walk through their doors, yet, it’s not hyperbole to say the club wouldn’t be where they are today without Callan Ward at the helm.

“There was a time early on that a lot of people saw the Giants as a breeding ground, let them get all the top players and then get them home,” Silvagni said.

“But being able to maintain those early picks? Callan has been part of that to have a culture up there that players want to stay.

“Even though they haven’t achieved the ultimate, they’re a really good chance this year. I’d love to see that club, but also him, get something they deserve.”

“If you look back on the history, there’s lots of different stakeholders in a football club,” Davis added. “But in my mind, there’s not one person I think has had a bigger impact than Cal.

“Things happened because of Cal. From Tony Shepherd to Kevin Sheedy to Dave Matthews, no one has had the impact on the club that Cal has had.”

According to the first article, Craig Jennings left his wife and kids back in Victoria and lives in a mobile home. He does like his privacy. I wonder where he has the mobile home situated and if he drives it back and forth to Melbourne in the off season. It's not the sort of situation that seem likely to encourage an assistant to hang around, but GWS' success can only be good for Craig's career. He is one guy I can actually envisage enjoying the set up that he has rather than an apartment or relocating his family.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back