News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the first article, Craig Jennings left his wife and kids back in Victoria and lives in a mobile home. He does like his privacy. I wonder where he has the mobile home situated and if he drives it back and forth to Melbourne in the off season. It's not the sort of situation that seem likely to encourage an assistant to gang around, but GWS' success can only be good for Craig's career. He is one guy I can actually envisage enjoying the set up that he has rather than an apartment or relocating his family.
In an interview he says he doesn’t want to say where he parks as he has found some good spots and doesn’t want others coming along to park there as well. Sounds like it’s on the beaches.

In an interview he says he doesn’t want to say where he parks as he has found some good spots and doesn’t want others coming along to park there as well. Sounds like it’s on the beaches.
That is exactly how I would expect him to live. I must seek out the interview.

I saw this ad just now on one of the main stories on news.com.au, so some good advertising which would cost a bit. My only complaint is, the actual advertisement of the game time, location and kids getting in free is too small, compared to the other stuff. It should be flipped and have the smaller Doug Nichols round, bigger actual game details.

Screenshot_20240513-182953_Chrome.jpg

Posted on the AFL website:

Starting at 4:40, a very brief discussion on the "spare seats" over the weekend.

Pretty much a nothing conversation but if we're getting lip service about our crowd numbers, no doubt there's more in-depth conversations happening behind the scenes.

Posted on the AFL website:

Starting at 4:40, a very brief discussion on the "spare seats" over the weekend.

Pretty much a nothing conversation but if we're getting lip service about our crowd numbers, no doubt there's more in-depth conversations happening behind the scenes.

I listened to that earlier today and the biggest take away I got from it is that the extended leave due to the Easter Show is suppressing growth.

Particularly where he says that Giants are trying to create routines and rituals of going to our games.

I have made similar posts previously where I see the struggle in getting consistency, having fans come out/changing a Sydney culture of coming out to games rather than watching on TV, let alone introducing someone new to our game.

I won't be surprised to see changes made to the fixture to minimise this gap as this has been in the media, the club has been promoting us being back for the first time in weeks/months and now the AFL is saying it.

While I was excited we were back, it's difficult to get too excited when we have another 4-week hiatus after the Bulldogs game then another 5 games left of the season till the season is done.

Perhaps I'm an outlier and just footy starved due to the extended breaks. 😅

I listened to that earlier today and the biggest take away I got from it is that the extended leave due to the Easter Show is suppressing growth.

Particularly where he says that Giants are trying to create routines and rituals of going to our games.

I have made similar posts previously where I see the struggle in getting consistency, having fans come out/changing a Sydney culture of coming out to games rather than watching on TV, let alone introducing someone new to our game.

I won't be surprised to see changes made to the fixture to minimise this gap as this has been in the media, the club has been promoting us being back for the first time in weeks/months and now the AFL is saying it.

While I was excited we were back, it's difficult to get too excited when we have another 4-week hiatus after the Bulldogs game then another 5 games left of the season till the season is done.

Bingo

I agree, but the only option to fill that hiatus is to play a game at the scg during that time isn't it? But most fans don't seem to like that idea, it reduces engie stadium to 7 games for the season.

I agree, but the only option to fill that hiatus is to play a game at the scg during that time isn't it? But most fans don't seem to like that idea, it reduces engie stadium to 7 games for the season.
Maybe a double header?
Would only agree to it if we were Sydney full time otherwise what’s the point

Definitely our away derby should be played there during this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all GWS members, would you travel to the SCG for a home game if free parking was provided? Or maybe a nominal $10?

Free public transport to the game?

Just putting it out there.

For all GWS members, would you travel to the SCG for a home game if free parking was provided? Or maybe a nominal $10?

Free public transport to the game?

Just putting it out there.
A 1 off double header added to the away derby to cover the Easter show period? Yes.

Another game taken away from Engie while the Canberra deal is in place? No.

Someone will do a cost benefit analysis to calculate whether the fan dissatisfaction could be countered by having a game during this time. Is a game during this time better than none?

If I can go to Manuka to watch a game, I can go to the SCG (even with the knowledge that the SCG is not within our home region) because I am well aware that the justification for playing at the SCG is because our home ground is unavailable. It was previously mentioned another game could be added to the H&A season next year, which could be used for a game in Sydney played away from Engie.

Another option may be (and not saying this will occur), prior to this season there was a rumour of a large Melbourne club playing a home game in Sydney. If this could be done (not saying it would get over the line), us playing an away game against another non-Swans team at SCG could potentially appease Giants fans (although, completely understand that clubs fans won't be particularly happy about it but the fact it was mentioned in the media is quite telling).

I suspect a game somewhere in Western Sydney will still be an easier sell than the SCG among other Giants fans, though.

I am leaning toward a decision being made in this space at some stage that may be initially unpopular by some Giants fans, even if it's to test the waters. We've seen some footy decisions which were initially unpopular become embraced by footy fans after attending. Until something is tried, we really won't know.

Last edited:
Someone will do a cost benefit analysis to calculate whether the fan dissatisfaction could be countered by having a game during this time. Is a game during this time better than none?

If I can go to Manuka to watch a game, I can go to the SCG (even with the knowledge that the SCG is not within our home region) because I am well aware that the justification for playing at the SCG is because our home ground is unavailable.

Another option may be (and not saying this will occur), prior to this season there was a rumour of a large Melbourne club playing a home game in Sydney. If this could be done (not saying it would get over the line), us playing an away game against another non-Swans team at SCG could potentially appease Giants fans (although, completely understand that clubs fans won't be particularly happy about it but the fact it was mentioned in the media is quite telling).

I suspect a game somewhere in Western Sydney will still be an easier sell than the SCG among other Giants fans, though.

I am leaning toward a decision being made in this space at some stage that may be initially unpopular by some Giants fans, even if it's to test the waters. We've seen some footy decisions which were initially unpopular become embraced by footy fans after attending. Until something is tried, we really won't know.
If they are really bold, develop Tom Willis oval so we can host low drawing teams in the ghost-gap.

If they are really bold, develop Tom Willis oval so we can host low drawing teams in the ghost-gap.
Its supposedly getting developed to AFLW & VFL level. So maybe? But the more I think about it the more I think an SCG double header and an Away derby during the Easter period fixes the "need Canberra because Easter Show".

Its supposedly getting developed to AFLW & VFL level. So maybe? But the more I think about it the more I think an SCG double header and an Away derby during the Easter period fixes the "need Canberra because Easter Show".
Yeah I think TW Oval is supposed to be set up for 4k capacity. Make it 8 and we're all good. Fully ticketed - members first choice.

Shame they don't consider upgrading TW Oval so it can be used for Easter Show attractions and we get Engie Stadium for the duration of the AFL season and for the Thunder over summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back