News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I think fans can be picked up having a few games in other locations, such as the scg (I agree getting outta Canberra would help this greatly).

Giant Yoyo for example, became a giants fan by being exposed to the giants at an scg game funnily enough.

These days fans come from all over the city, they don't need to have an I.D that they come from certain postcodes to be allowed to become members (there would be more Collingwood fans in North Melbourne and Footscray than roos and dogs fans these days).

I think grabbing fans from all over the city to build the initial supporter base will in a roundabout way, help to build the attraction of the giants in western sydney itself. People follow what's popular, so building that initial base to facilitate that, could be done in other more footy friendly areas as well. I'd also be trying to steal some newbie swans fans, as the swans have plenty to spare and just keep getting bigger and bigger.

I think fans can be picked up having a few games in other locations, such as the scg (I agree getting outta Canberra would help this greatly).

Giant Yoyo for example, became a giants fan by being exposed to the giants at an scg game funnily enough.

These days fans come from all over the city, they don't need to have an I.D that they come from certain postcodes to be allowed to become members (there would be more Collingwood fans in North Melbourne and Footscray than roos and dogs fans these days).

I think grabbing fans from all over the city to build the initial supporter base will in a roundabout way, help to build the attraction of the giants in western sydney itself. People follow what's popular, so building that initial base to facilitate that, could be done in other more footy friendly areas as well. I'd also be trying to steal some newbie swans fans, as the swans have plenty to spare and just keep getting bigger and bigger.
agreed.

There is a difference between playing a game at the SCG during Easter (especially doing it the right way)compared to playing in a different state/city for 3 games.

Good memory.

Agree.

I'ved lived in the Inner City, Eastern Suburbs and Inner West in Swans territory. I could fall under their demographic as much as I could the Giants for different reasons, even if I no longer live in Swans territory.

Giants was and still is where I feel at completely at home, without doubt. If I lived east I'd still follow the Giants.

Not everyone will be a Swans fan or Giants fan just because it's the closest club to them. I have seen that we have Giants fans from Sydney's North Shore, Eastern Suburbs, the Shire (Sutherland Shire), Wollongong and Newcastle, all said to be very much Swans territory.

No reason why we wouldn't accept fans from all regions and people follow clubs for different reasons. While location is a big one and generally the fanbase will naturally be greater closer to the club, we still have plenty of Swans fans out west and Swans still do billboard advertisements out in the Western Suburbs.

Last edited:

Good memory.

Agree.

I'ved lived in the Inner City, Eastern Suburbs and Inner West in Swans territory. I could fall under their demographic as much as I could the Giants for different reasons even if I no longer live in Swans territory.

Giants was and still is where I feel at completely at home without doubt. If I lived east I'd still follow the Giants.

Not everyone will be a Swans fan or Giants fan just because it's the closest club to them. I have seen that we have Giants fans from Sydney's North Shore, Eastern Suburbs, the Shire (Sutherland Shire), Wollongong and Newcastle, all said to be very much Swans territory.

No reason why we wouldn't accept fans from all regions and people follow clubs for different reasons. While location is a big one and generally the fanbase will naturally be greater closer to the club, we still have plenty of Swans fans out west and Swans still do billboard advertisements out in the Western Suburbs.

My best mate lives in Sydney, he is a pies fan from Melbourne, prefers the giants in Sydney but his son goes for the swans coz they like going to the scg more. Plus he was telling me last year that twice he took him to games and couldn't get a seat in the scg members coz it was choc full, so they had to leave and go home. They also showed footage the other night that lots of scg members were locked out.

Overall I agree engie needs to be the base and there needs to be the identity of being the western sydney team, but I do think there are a lot of crumbs that could be picked up around the scg with numerous sellouts and scg member lockouts occurring now. AFL games at the scg have become very trendy and I don't know if all those people that wanna go to games are being serviced at the moment, through only the swans playing there.

My best mate lives in Sydney, he is a pies fan from Melbourne, prefers the giants in Sydney but his son goes for the swans coz they like going to the scg more. Plus he was telling me last year that twice he took him to games and couldn't get a seat in the scg members coz it was choc full, so they had to leave and go home. They also showed footage the other night that lots of scg members were locked out.

Understandable, the SCG has a charm about it. Particularly the members pavilion, which is gorgeous.

I still like our stadium though. It's home for me :D

Overall I agree engie needs to be the base and there needs to be the identity of being the western sydney team, but I do think there are a lot of crumbs that could be picked up around the scg with numerous sellouts and scg member lockouts occurring now. AFL games at the scg have become very trendy and I don't know if all those people that wanna go are being serviced at the moment through only the swans.

Agree. The Giants should be an option for any Aussie Rules fan in Sydney IMO. Some won't take us up as their team, there are others who will.

If we are competitive, the fans will come.

The upcoming Cats game at the SCG looks to be all but sold out, too. It's proof that Sydneysiders will turn out for an AFL game, can pack it out and build a loyal following. The Giants can eventually do the same.

Club already has taken some learnings from the Swans. Big one is being competitive season to season. Next is turning each game into a bit of an event, which they're trying to do among other initiatives.

I was reading an article from 2018, it was projected that the Giants would start selling out Giants stadium regularly within 5 or so years based on projected growth. Such a shame we're having such a different conversation now :( hopeful it will turnaround again.

Last edited:
Understandable, the SCG has a charm about it. Particularly the members pavilion, which is gorgeous.

I still like our stadium though. It's home for me :D
Its our home and only need the SCG for a "special event" like double header and an away derby.
Agree. The Giants should be an option for any Aussie Rules fan in Sydney IMO. Some won't take us up as their team, there are others who will.
True, If we were all in in Western Sydney and could get all those fans in WS on board we would sell the place out often.
If we are competitive, the fans will come.
Evidence says otherwise, we have been finals bound for years.
The upcoming Cats game at the SCG looks to be all but sold out, too. It's proof that Sydneysiders will turn out for an AFL game, can pack it out and build a loyal following. The Giants can eventually do the same.
If they go all in.
Club already has taken some learnings from the Swans. Big one is being competitive season to season. Next is turning each game into a bit of an event, which they're trying to do among other initiatives.
Except being fulltime Sydney
I was reading an article from 2018, it was projected that the Giants would start selling out Giants stadium regularly within 5 or so years based on projected growth. Such a shame we're having such a different conversation now :( hopeful it will turnaround again soon.
We all hoped that while being part time that being a successful club they would show. But being part time gives the detractors ammunition. Which holds the ones who are umming and ahhhming back.

Evidence says otherwise, we have been finals bound for years.
I agree with everything else, although unsure about this one.

I'm more than happy to be wrong given I'm relatively new to the scene. Looking at the data, news, commentary and recollection from fans I've seen, I can't see signs that we were consistent enough or play enough games at home for this to make as big of an impact as it could in recent time. In previous years it seems we would struggle with stability and lose players. Club was still maturing too. It's all part and parcel with a new club finding its feet, building its own culture and maturing.

The fact people are recalling the final days of the Cameron years in posts as most recently as the weekend gone does not make me think we've been consistently competitive. In saying that, the performance drop people are recollecting probably occurred at the worst possible time as a double whammy to external events outside of the clubs control.

People can be incredibly fickle and fair-weather until you get the buy in from fans and have them as loyal fans, which takes time.

Although, I could very well be missing something which isn't outside the realm of possibility 🤦‍♂️ so apologies in advance if so.

Overall, club seems to be in a much better position now so things are certainly on the up, others requiring a bit more time.

Last edited:
I agree with everything else, although unsure about this one.
We have made finals every year since 2016, winning at least one final every time, except 2020 and 2022. Yet no boost to the level that gets the massive anti Giants push of NRL and VFL media off our backs.
I'm more than happy to be wrong given I'm relatively new to the scene. Looking at the data, news, commentary and recollection from fans I've seen, I can't see signs that we were consistent enough or play enough games at home for this to make as big of an impact as it could in recent time. In previous years it seems we would struggle with stability and lose players. Club was still maturing too. It's all part and parcel with a new club finding its feet, building its own culture and maturing.
That brings up my bugbear of being part time in Sydney.
The fact people are recalling the final days of the Cameron years in posts as most recently as the weekend gone does not make me think we've been consistently competitive. In saying that, the performance drop people are recollecting probably occurred at the worst possible time as a double whammy to external events outside of the clubs control.
Covid hurt badly, combined with Jezza leaving. Plus part time.
People can be incredibly fickle and fair-weather until you get the buy in from fans and have them as loyal fans, which takes time.
Yes and no. Also takes the club going all in.
Although, I could very well be missing something which isn't outside the realm of possibility 🤦‍♂️ so apologies in advance if so.
No apologies, I could be completely wrong as well.

Yet no boost to the level that gets the massive anti Giants push of NRL and VFL media off our backs.
Agree. I'm of the belief that I think we'd need a Giants v Swans GF to finally see the media cut through.

Not sure whether you've seen this but I thought it was interesting even if I already had heard/read about this from here and elsewhere. Think yourself and Bjo187 have alluded to this a number of times.

Question/discussion about lack of Sydney AFL promotion within the media and the impact on growth from 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Agree. I'm of the belief that I think we'd need a Giants v Swans GF to finally see the media cut through.

Not sure whether you've seen this but I thought it was interesting even if I already had heard/read about this from here and elsewhere. Think yourself and Bjo187 have alluded to this a number of times.

Question/discussion about lack of Sydney AFL promotion within the media and the impact on growth.

I remember the Super League war like it was yesterday, my club died from it.
But it was the reason, along with making the GF in 96, the Swans got the cut through with the media.

I honestly don’t think a one off Sydney Derby GF will win the media up here over.
Need two teams all in getting good crowds.
Canberra as team 20 meaning 3 teams in NSW/ACT would help.

But it was the reason, along with making the GF in 96, the Swans got the cut through with the media.

I honestly don’t think a one off Sydney Derby GF will win the media up here over.
Possibly though I don't see how a derby GF would be a bad thing.

Especially if we win. :D

All this debate about where we play reminds me a bit of Nero fiddling while Rome burned.

There's a couple of posts in other threads stating that certain players have back-answered Kingsley. That's evidence of internal dissension which probably explains our current situation.

That kind of thing is more difficult to fix than where games are scheduled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For context - the Kingsley/Callaghan to-and-fro on the interchange bench can be seen in the 3rd quarter with 12:28 to go.

In isolation, it's a coach and player in a moderately heated discussion, but looking at Kingsley's temper over the past month or so, I reckon all is not well behind the scenes.

For context - the Kingsley/Callaghan to-and-fro on the interchange bench can be seen in the 3rd quarter with 12:28 to go.

In isolation, it's a coach and player in a moderately heated discussion, but looking at Kingsley's temper over the past month or so, I reckon all is not well behind the scenes.

Yes the level of drop off seems too significant to just be a form slump. The good thing is coaches often lose the playing group and win them back after they concede on something.

Your club did the right thing and bailed out a fellow foundation club.

The very team we saved have run the JV in to the ground with their bullshit.

We would have survived all rationalisation protocols that were in place at the time, but we saw a chance to solidify our place for the next 110 years.

And the way we’re tracking now, that is no certainty!

A month ago people inside the club were on the record saying that Callaghan was Kingsley’s favourite.

Highly doubt the relationship can dissolve that quickly - unless there is an ex-partner Sam Wicks style !

Your club did the right thing and bailed out a fellow foundation club.

The very team we saved have run the JV in to the ground with their bullshit.

We would have survived all rationalisation protocols that were in place at the time, but we saw a chance to solidify our place for the next 110 years.

And the way we’re tracking now, that is no certainty!
I was trying to be polite to our partner in marriage.

Yeah will always be furious over how we were told all year we wouldn’t make the 14 and when the list came out we did.

For all GWS members, would you travel to the SCG for a home game if free parking was provided? Or maybe a nominal $10?

Free public transport to the game?

Just putting it out there.
No

For all GWS members, would you travel to the SCG for a home game

Understand other view points expressed.

Although, it's a yes from me. Don't need other perks.

The playing away from home for as long as we do at the start of the season is way too long. A growing, viable club is more valuable to me than whether we play a game at the SCG, especially if the game at the SCG is ultimately beneficial to the club and our growth (which I assume it will be if it's tried, tested and works. If not, I assume we'll revert back to our current setup).

Someone will crunch the numbers, if the AFL think it's worthwhile compared to not playing in the region for months during the easter show, a game will be played there. We already know the AFL was considering us playing there but the club seems to have indicated it could get growth in attendance without playing at the SCG.

I suppose part of the reason why the decision hasn't been made is because of the fan survey indicating it isn't popular. In saying that, if it's a success and our growth rate increases as a result, fans could embrace it especially if they see upticks in attendance for our Engie games.

The Engie attendance figure from the weekend isn't convincing me that the SCG won't be considered again.

Guess we'll see.

Had a look, seems frustrated. Would suggest a move from the interchange bench may be in order if frustrated. Best to go to the coach's box if that's the case, IMO.

Hope to see him less frustrated in upcoming games as the frustration appears to be getting the better of him a bit at the moment.

Last edited:
For all GWS members, would you travel to the SCG for a home game if free parking was provided? Or maybe a nominal $10?

Free public transport to the game?

Just putting it out there.
No way would I drive in.

Based off my experience the light rail sucks to drag everyone out of the stadium so I always end up walking back to Central.

That's a non-starter with two littlies after a long day.

No way would I drive in.

I don't particularly like driving into the city, but I'd still prefer it over public transport.

An SCG home game is going to be a very hard sell, so IMO, there needs to be some incentive/s to make it more appealing.

Free parking was my first thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back