Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Irons are on the way for B&G... Having been a dedicated Taylormade man since the early 2000's I have jumped ship.

I got fitted for Mizuno / Ping but decided to go with Srixon and I am very excited to get my hands on them. Pings were really nice but to get them with decent shafts in them they are $$$$$$$. Mizuno I just wasn't really in love with, what actually was a massive selling point for the Srixon's was the ability to order them with adjusted lofts.

So I have ordered Z545 4iron and 5ron both -1deg weak lofts then Z745 irons 6 iron to PW lofts 1deg weak in the 6, 7 and 8 irons then -2deg weak in the 9 iron and PW. Project X 6.0 shafts, I was fitted in 6.5's but I've always liked a little bit of action in the shaft and I don't ever feel like I lose shots left due to weakness in the shaft. Can't wait to get my hands on these bad boys!!

post-1-0-96830600-1418429037_thumb.jpg

whats this degree weak loft thing?

New Irons are on the way for B&G... Having been a dedicated Taylormade man since the early 2000's I have jumped ship.

I got fitted for Mizuno / Ping but decided to go with Srixon and I am very excited to get my hands on them. Pings were really nice but to get them with decent shafts in them they are $$$$$$$. Mizuno I just wasn't really in love with, what actually was a massive selling point for the Srixon's was the ability to order them with adjusted lofts.

So I have ordered Z545 4iron and 5ron both -1deg weak lofts then Z745 irons 6 iron to PW lofts 1deg weak in the 6, 7 and 8 irons then -2deg weak in the 9 iron and PW. Project X 6.0 shafts, I was fitted in 6.5's but I've always liked a little bit of action in the shaft and I don't ever feel like I lose shots left due to weakness in the shaft. Can't wait to get my hands on these bad boys!!

What do you play off? That's some detailed specs you rattled off there.

whats this degree weak loft thing?

OK so basically over the years all brands are strengthening standard lofts so even in the "players" sets the standard PW loft of 48 has gone to 46 or even 45 degrees in some sets. This has all been about marketing and a battle for the brands to have the longest irons.

My TM Rac TP's the 3iron 21 deg then 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48
Srixon Standard is 3iron 20 deg then 22, 24, 28, 32, 36, 41, 46
My Custom Srixon start at 4 iron at 22, 25, 29, 33, 37, 43, 48

So effectively I cover the same lofts with one less iron. So now I will carry 21.5 deg hybrid and still have room for 3 Vokey wedges.

Hybrid 220m
4 iron 205m
5 iron 190m
6 iron 178m
7 iron 165m
8 iron 151m
9 iron 136m
PW 124m
52 112m
56 100m
60 82m

OK so basically over the years all brands are strengthening standard lofts so even in the "players" sets the standard PW loft of 48 has gone to 46 or even 45 degrees in some sets. This has all been about marketing and a battle for the brands to have the longest irons.

My TM Rac TP's the 3iron 21 deg then 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48
Srixon Standard is 3iron 20 deg then 22, 24, 28, 32, 36, 41, 46
My Custom Srixon start at 4 iron at 22, 25, 29, 33, 37, 43, 48

So effectively I cover the same lofts with one less iron. So now I will carry 21.5 deg hybrid and still have room for 3 Vokey wedges.

Hybrid 220m
4 iron 205m
5 iron 190m
6 iron 178m
7 iron 165m
8 iron 151m
9 iron 136m
PW 124m
52 112m
56 100m
60 82m

ah i see. im terrible when it comes to degrees and lofts. i have no idea, just the club number. so when i get the vokeys imma be like "uhh what's this?"

have seen it in action. it is excellent.

i have g max irons and they are special. i feel ping make a great club.

all the best!
Yes I have S55's 4 - PW, Glide wedges 52 and 56and a vokey sm6 wedge 60 degree.
Ping g2 5 wood (old fave ) and a Ping hoofer bag

Fair to say I am a fan of Ping :eek:

Whenever I buy irons I get them with the shafts I want at standard lie angles and get my pro to bend them in the lie loft machine always 1 degree flat and 1 degree weaker through the whole set.
I know then they are correct as they have been checked.. The tolerances either way of standard a lot of the companies work with is really pretty ordinary.

1-4 depending on Summer where I play a fair bit to Winter when I hack it around with very little practice...
Oh if only a 4 was the result of not playing much / much practice. :(

Still we share an odd symmetry I float a constant 10 shots higher than you under the same circumstances. Though a bout of unemployment saw me touch single figures. :huh::huh::huh:

Just got my Pinhawks. Just got to get them shafted and fitted. Cant wait to try this SL system out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you find it much different to swing in?

i have yet to fully test it out. FJ apparel is generous all over. standing and walking its fine, and with faux swings it should be ok. however when i look down there is a bit of the balloning effect (when areas around teh zip bunch and peak. just gotta get used to it i guess.

the smaller size was sweet if i wanted to wear it out and about. however to swing the club...nup

Titleist new clubs

915D2 12 degrees
915F 18 degrees (basically a 5 wood delofted)
816 hybrid 25 degrees

Vokeys
50 deg .08 F grind
56 deg .08 M grind
60 deg .04 L grind

scotty C newtown 2 putter

Nice! Great to see people with equipment that will make the game easier i.e. 12 deg driver rather than the 8.5's and 9.5's that used to adorn every bag. 18 deg fairway wood rather than the 13 deg pro 3 wood that was next to impossible to get off the ground. You have very low bounce in your wedges!! not sure if you got fitted, but sometimes it's nice to have one of your wedges with 11 or even 14 deg bounce!! great for bunker shots out of really heavy / fluffly sand, also good if you find you are duffing chips (getting the leading edge digging in)

In other news I am still waiting for my Srixons!! serves me right for customs spec'ing lofts and shafts :-(

Nice! Great to see people with equipment that will make the game easier i.e. 12 deg driver rather than the 8.5's and 9.5's that used to adorn every bag. 18 deg fairway wood rather than the 13 deg pro 3 wood that was next to impossible to get off the ground. You have very low bounce in your wedges!! not sure if you got fitted, but sometimes it's nice to have one of your wedges with 11 or even 14 deg bounce!! great for bunker shots out of really heavy / fluffly sand, also good if you find you are duffing chips (getting the leading edge digging in)

In other news I am still waiting for my Srixons!! serves me right for customs spec'ing lofts and shafts :-(

Hey bud,

I'm a novice when it comes to club fitting - I seriously order 1" longer shafts and hit the ball

Explain why bounce on wedges is important and how a higher degree bounce - eg: 12 degree helps stop duffing chip shots?

a golfy friend said recently "at our level we're not looking to bomb it 350 down the fairway, we should be focusing on accuracy". he's right. of course if u can bomb then bomb.

indeed i was fitted. the pro knows my game inside out. and the courses i play he also knows so well. he said off tight lies at the Nash these wedges suit my game.

ive been watching youtube and reading about bounce. am i wiser? 50-50. the only thing i know is that 60 deg is what i use in bunkers down there. isnt fluffy sand what you find in USA?

its amazing how players can have wedges with same loft but diff bounce depending on the course/bunkers.

Hey bud,

I'm a novice when it comes to club fitting - I seriously order 1" longer shafts and hit the ball

Explain why bounce on wedges is important and how a higher degree bounce - eg: 12 degree helps stop duffing chip shots?

here;s my 50-50 knowledge coming in.

bounce helps with teh club essentially bouncing (or as some say sliding) under the ball. little bounce means the club sliders under, whereas bouncey bounce means the club springs back off the deck

for titleist

5810.Vokey_5F00_SM5_5F00_Wedge_5F00_Matrix_5F00_012214_5F00_Blog.jpg

Two factors imo when it comes to selecting bounce.

1. Does the course you play at have firm fairways, tight surrounds and compact, not overly fluffy bunkers? If so the less bounce the better....obviously more bounce if your course plays the opposite.

2. How do you swing your wedges?
If you're typically a digger ie. pick it up and really get steep on it, you want more bouce. If your swing is more of a sweep, then less bounce.

To be honest though, i don't think bounce makes THAT big a difference. Unless you go real extreme one way or the other with it.

Titleist new clubs

915D2 12 degrees
915F 18 degrees (basically a 5 wood delofted)
816 hybrid 25 degrees

Vokeys
50 deg .08 F grind
56 deg .08 M grind
60 deg .04 L grind

scotty C newtown 2 putter
Have the same driver, but 10.5 stiff.

Fixed my driving immensely. How are you finding it brah?

Two factors imo when it comes to selecting bounce.

1. Does the course you play at have firm fairways, tight surrounds and compact, not overly fluffy bunkers? If so the less bounce the better....obviously more bounce if your course plays the opposite.

2. How do you swing your wedges?
If you're typically a digger ie. pick it up and really get steep on it, you want more bouce. If your swing is more of a sweep, then less bounce.

To be honest though, i don't think bounce makes THAT big a difference. Unless you go real extreme one way or the other with it.

Cheers mite try a couple of opposites and see if it makes any difference
Fwiw I'm off 7 but I chip like a 36handicapper. Would prefer to putt from 20metres off the front

Have the same driver, but 10.5 stiff.

Fixed my driving immensely. How are you finding it brah?

brosef! touch it every day and night, sometimes hold it for a while.

as for the driver, havent used it or any of the newbies yet. believe mine is stiff as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back