Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Allen on his pod spoke about gimmes recently. Surprisingly(to me anyway), he was all for them, even in comp rounds. Reckons they speed up play and the handicaps will take care of themselves, ie. the players who take gimmes will get a handicap that "matches up" with taking those gimmes.

I don't like the idea. Not one bit.

Terrible idea. I've seen plenty of putts under a metre missed, especially when the pressure is on to post a score late in the round.

Played there on a weekly basis as a teenager, lived 200mts away.
Rode our dirt bikes in the adjacent vacant bush… the course manager was always chasing us away.
In later years stumbled home through the course on a weekend following a big night at The Conti.
Stumbling through golf courses late at night can be dangerous. On a cloudy night I made a fateful decision to cut across Flinders GC. Not long into the walk I discovered I could not see a thing. I knew that between me and my destination was the unfenced dam. So I thought I would cut hard south to make it to the road. Turns out I didn't cut hard enough and ended up walking straight into the drink. Also discovered that the plastic sheeting in those things is very slippery. Eventually got out. Cut even harder away from my destination to reach the road. A few minutes later, back in the drink. I then understood how people walk in circles when lost in the bush. And they usually weren't drunk. So I had that to contend with as well.

Mark Allen on his pod spoke about gimmes recently. Surprisingly(to me anyway), he was all for them, even in comp rounds. Reckons they speed up play and the handicaps will take care of themselves, ie. the players who take gimmes will get a handicap that "matches up" with taking those gimmes.

I don't like the idea. Not one bit.

What a ridiculous statement from Allen.

What a ridiculous statement from Allen.
Whilst I dont agree with it, I can see the point of view. You wouldn't want gimmes in anything important, even the monthly medal, but it might speed up play. And for the serial abusers of liberal gimmes? Well, their handicaps would be artificially lower which would hurt them on the "non-gimme" days.

Personally, the pressure felt over short putts is one of the joys/challenges of golf.

Dont like the gimmes either , unless a match of course.

Always difficult if you join a group who say we go gimmes on a comp day. Especially if the gimmes are genorous. I usually just putt out anyway.

One joy is being asked for a gimme and then refusing. If bugalugs then misses the putt they are invariably pissed off. I have had someone complain without really understanding you need to make the putt to press that argument.

Terrible idea. I've seen plenty of putts under a metre missed, especially when the pressure is on to post a score late in the round.

Marko talks about putts shorter than a metre. Like putter grip length. He reckons it speeds up play dramatically. I agree with him but the difference with iDons story is that you can’t give yourself a putt, your playing partners have to.

Ps. No gimmes at KH (where Marko plays) in comps except in match play of course.

i like gardiners run. value for money and a fun course

Could be a great track

Bunkers need some love - 3 months ago I was there

But they were working on them at the time
Played it Friday and thought it was great. Excellent condition, greens true and quickish. The bunker work must have been finished as they were fine. A really nice members course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know where Rossdale Golf Course is moving to when they sell the sites?

Word is they are looking to move the club/members to Capital Golf Course but that would surely mean much higher costs for the members

It’s been a rumour for aeons

Played re-vamped Sandy LINKS todays and while I was impressed with the green complexes, to find it was ranked 41, absolutely surprised me.
No way I would have it above Rosebud CC for example, or Cape Schanck which just scraped in to the top 100.
I agree. I remember reading Sandy links was that high and thought the same. I've played it twice I reckon and even if it is updated, it was nice but that's a way overrated ranking in my view. I've played others that I reckon are as good or better not ranked as high.

Played re-vamped Sandy LINKS todays and while I was impressed with the green complexes, to find it was ranked 41, absolutely surprised me.
No way I would have it above Rosebud CC for example, or Cape Schanck which just scraped in to the top 100.

Its alright, greens are typically nice and you get that feeling you are playing at Royal Melbourne a bit with the how hard the greens are but I am not the biggest fan. Remember the rankings are just a pissing contest really that the architects generate the buzz for.

Would have it higher then a number of course I have played easily.

Love Sandy to bits, but I'd love to hear a solid argument on how it's 30 ish spots a better place to play than Sorrento. They do great work, but the OCM hype train is in effect. 5 round split against Sorrento and no-ones playing at Sandy more than twice.
Not even in the same universe as Sorrento

Agree with no give mes. Terrible. Starts at tap ins, extends to 30cm, by rounds end its driver length.

When playing teams match, we do give new for the match, but still finish the hole putting wise as we’re always in the comp. .
So what do you do if someones misses the gimme seeing you putt out. If you are putting out anyway doesnt seem to make sense to have gimmes in the match.

So what do you do if someones misses the gimme seeing you putt out. If you are putting out anyway doesnt seem to make sense to have gimmes in the match.

i see where you're coming from, and i totally get it.

i said we say "good for the match" - but if you're in the comp you must putt out. if you miss it, the gimmie counts the for side match which isnt recorded in the handicapped round.

Is anyone here a current member or has played Rosanna/Heidelberg golf clubs frequently? I am looking into joining one of them due to their proximity to home. I understand both are currently at capacity and there is a waitlist but just wondering if anyone has any advice or input on either club?

I will be looking to book a round to check them out in the near future.

Is anyone here a current member or has played Rosanna/Heidelberg golf clubs frequently? I am looking into joining one of them due to their proximity to home. I understand both are currently at capacity and there is a waitlist but just wondering if anyone has any advice or input on either club?

TennisPlayerAndy

I’m at Heidelberg.

Great course. Very hilly. Prefer it to Rosanna which is very straight up and down for the most part.

No joining fee either which is a bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back