Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

But you really aren't that wrong.

Remember we dropped Matt Crouch

Lyons this year is marginally better than a dropped Matt Crouch.

I'd take him back over Greenwood for the middle, to be fair.

The only issue we can have is potentially we could have got more for him, given what we paid for Bryce
His impact in the three Lions games I have watched is better than those stats.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I dunno, there does seem to be an obvious gulf between the two, even with those stats. Inside 50s, meters gained and tackles really stand out in particular.

To think we'd be in a reality where Jarryd Lyons would comfortably outproduce Matt Crouch. I accept it's probably taken the worst form of Matts life to get there and some good form on Jarryds behalf, but still... never would have predicted this.

Look at his stats v Atkins, sure a different player, but Atkins has given as many highlights as Lyons

People only remember Lyons was a Crows player when he plays well,conviently not mentioned in the games where he plays ok, but not spectacular.

Look at his stats v Atkins, sure a different player, but Atkins has given as many highlights as Lyons

People only remember Lyons was a Crows player when he plays well,conviently not mentioned in the games where he plays ok, but not spectacular.

Very different players.

Rory Atkins is really the Chris Ladhams for me in the 2010s. Someone I have always had a lot of time for as a footballer, but just never could put it together. Lyons was an interesting one, good midfielder always has been (I wouldn't say Lyons at Brisbane is any better than what we had). Very much wrong place at the wrong time though.

The call to retain Douglas over Lyons (seeing both were giving effectively the same output) certainly doesn't look good, but a very forgivable call seeing Jarryd had been on a list for 5 years and had only just cemented a spot against a BnF winning player in a side which was gearing to win and win now. I'll always stand by that Matt Crouch really ended Jarryd long term hopes at Adelaide.

Very different players.

Rory Atkins is really the Chris Ladhams for me in the 2010s. Someone I have always had a lot of time for as a footballer, but just never could put it together. Lyons was an interesting one, good midfielder always has been (I wouldn't say Lyons at Brisbane is any better than what we had). Very much wrong place at the wrong time though.

The call to retain Douglas over Lyons (seeing both were giving effectively the same output) certainly doesn't look good, but a very forgivable call seeing Jarryd had been on a list for 5 years and had only just cemented a spot against a BnF winning player in a side which was gearing to win and win now. I'll always stand by that Matt Crouch really ended Jarryd long term hopes at Adelaide.
The comparison for Atkins is to point out, even with his stats, which are similar in terms of output of Lyons, is a whipping boy on this board.

Sure, keeping Douglas over Lyons might have been a short term one, but he is still no better than Gibbs, who can't get a game with us.

Douglas v Lyons

Here he is this year v Gibbs in '19 , which many on this board considered poor

And '18, which I considered a good year, others not so much

There is a fair chance, even if we did keep him over Douglas, he isnt playing in front of an out of form M.Crouch

Or B. Crouch

However he may get picked against an injured R Sloane

Again, I'm not saying Lyons is s**t, but are we really wanting a 27 yr old getting games in front of youth we are trying to develop?

People also forget how good players look in a winning side.

The comparison for Atkins is to point out, even with his stats, which are similar in terms of output of Lyons, is a whipping boy on this board.

Sure, keeping Douglas over Lyons might have been a short term one, but he is still no better than Gibbs, who can't get a game with us.

Douglas v Lyons

Here he is this year v Gibbs in '19 , which many on this board considered poor

And '18, which I considered a good year, others not so much

There is a fair chance, even if we did keep him over Douglas, he isnt playing in front of an out of form M.Crouch

Or B. Crouch

However he may get picked against an injured R Sloane

Again, I'm not saying Lyons is sh*t, but are we really wanting a 27 yr old getting games in front of youth we are trying to develop?

The difference is roles, Atkins is very outside and can be found wanting with the tough stuff. You'll get the tough stuff with Lyons.

Gibbs 2018 was exactly what we paid for. Just unfortunately found the cliff.

The reason I do say him or Douglas is they were both fighting for an HFF spot, as we've opted to use the other to develop players (rightly, or wrongly... and I say that with a heavy skew to wrongly). Both were producing similar in that role and I do agree we could probably only afford one. Probably just unlucky for Lyons sake he was OOC and Douglas was not.

It's also true a good side makes a lot of players perform better. Right now though, Lyons would make us a lot more competitive than our current midfield. That's could just be a coincidental blip mind you. So I fully get why people would want him here, he'd be the first name on our teamsheet. Still, I'm not critical of our decision to let him go at the time. I reckon I would have let him go as a list manager in our situation. Sometimes they go on to better things which is what this case is, and probably couldn't have happened to a more deserving player.

I would argue that as a midfielder it's easier to pad stat lines in a dysfunctional side. Look at Ablett at Gold Coast and Crouch brothers here. Lyons' last year at GC is actually his highest season disposal average.

Lions have a pretty evenly good team and don't overpossess when they're playing well. For instance McLuggage and Berry were both under 20 touches tonight but huge game impact, among best on ground. More and more I think disposals are a total junk stat to prioritise when trying to figure out how well a player is contributing to their team's success.

Very different players.

Though a B&F winner 5 years previous whose form was on an obvious downward trend, who was aging and to be honest that B&F win has a massive asterix next to it given the year it was won in and how s**t and injury plagued the club was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Though a B&F winner 5 years previous whose form was on an obvious downward trend, who was aging and to be honest that B&F win has a massive asterix next to it given the year it was won in and how sh*t and injury plagued the club was.

First point - asterixs are only relevant for losers.

Also second point - no. Douglas only begins his downhill ascent in 2018. 2015-2017 is pretty consistent.

We made a slightly average decision, they made a monumental balls up.

He didn't want to leave us and info from TMS was that he only needed a smallish upgrade on the fringe value contract we had in front of him. He and Dew didn't see eye to eye and he actively wanted out of there. I'd say our balls up was bigger. We preferred to keep Thommo on the list instead. Delist him and add the $ to Lyons over 2-3 years and he stays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back