Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, newbie here - just wondering what the difference is between the GVFNL and the KDFL? Is one comp stronger/better than the other? They seem to play in the same areas. So trying to work out the difference between them...
Three tiers locally..GV number 1, Murray League 2, Picola 3 and KDFL 4..buts thats just my opinion .

Had a read of the GV 2010 part 4 thread today. Pre-season and the big name recruits coming into the league was astounding back then. AFL, SANFL, VFL, metro guns! Echuca, Mooroopna and Shepp Swans recruiting was quite astounding. All before the Meka circus went South! Ringo at his combative best. Not many of those posters left on here now ... apart maybe some under a different guise.

Had a read of the GV 2010 part 4 thread today. Pre-season and the big name recruits coming into the league was astounding back then. AFL, SANFL, VFL, metro guns! Echuca, Mooroopna and Shepp Swans recruiting was quite astounding. All before the Meka circus went South! Ringo at his combative best. Not many of those posters left on here now ... apart maybe some under a different guise.
The Meka circus is lurking around the WRFL and in the mix for another job down this way. A polarising figure who did a great job at the Northen Blues as a Development coach. Never short on entertainment old Pezza. I thought I had some stars but the Swans at the time had Woewoodin, Russell Robertson, Nathan Brown, Adem Yze, Sutherland, Looby.
Durbridge won the Morrison but he wasn’t in the Same league as many of the stars in the comp at the time. That was the GV at its best mate.

I’d debate that picola is 3 Ringo
Yeah interesting mate. Havent caught either league in action for sometime. To be fair I can't really make an accurate judgement. District leagues play such a vital role for small communities and their value cannot be understated.

Last edited:
Yeah interesting mate. Havent caught either league in action for sometime. To be fair I can't really make an accurate judgement. District leagues play such a vital role for small communities and their value cannot be understated.
Yep absolutely. I’d say the top end in the KD would be a bit stronger, but the drop off to the bottom 6 is pretty big. Picola probably a more even comp.

I’d debate that picola is 3 Ringo
Played in all 4 . GVL by a mile , MFL , PDFNL and then KDFL is correct .

GVL have come back a bit , MFL by a mile in the 10 years and the other two have improved .

Start the debate Ultra .

I’ll start with Wright , Ednie , Whyman , Tippett , Holland , Lobby , Pendergast Oswald .

Then there’s Clurey , Howe , O’Dwyer, Ash all drafted since KDFL’s last draftee if I am correct who was Harris ( 98 ?? ) or the last person to make TAC squad ( McKay ) ???

Last edited:
Have you played ahere other than KDL ?
Actually played majority of my senior footy in HDFNL.. had opportunities to go elsewhere (tonny with Billy Campbell for U18's, but would have meant being stuck in a car with you so cut out of that one early). Otherwise no, as i chose to remain loyal to my home club which I don't regret one bit...

Actually played majority of my senior footy in HDFNL.. had opportunities to go elsewhere (tonny with Billy Campbell for U18's, but would have meant being stuck in a car with you so cut out of that one early). Otherwise no, as i chose to remain loyal to my home club which I don't regret one bit...
Never played Tonny u18’s nor travelled with Billy Campbell so your talking s**t. Whilst Rushy joined KDFL when you were 24-25 .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played in all 4 . GVL by a mile , MFL , PDFNL and then KDFL is correct .

GVL have come back a bit , MFL by a mile in the 10 years and the other two have improved .

Start the debate Ultra .

I’ll start with Wright , Ednie , Whyman , Tippett , Holland , Lobby , Pendergast Oswald .

Then there’s Clurey , Howe , O’Dwyer, Ash all drafted since KDFL’s last draftee if I am correct who was Harris ( 98 ?? ) or the last person to make TAC squad ( McKay ) ???
Never actually seen a picola game Roar, I am going off a current player who has played in both recently and that was his view. How long ago did you play in those leagues may I ask?
And I don’t think you can judge a league on how good it is from it’s draftees, those would have played there when they were 15 then left to play better footy.
Also from the couple clubs that have come on from there have been mid range to lower sides.

Never actually seen a picola game Roar, I am going off a current player who has played in both recently and that was his view. How long ago did you play in those leagues may I ask?
And I don’t think you can judge a league on how good it is from it’s draftees, those would have played there when they were 15 then left to play better footy.
Also from the couple clubs that have come on from there have been mid range to lower sides.
The clubs that joinedlost s**t loads to when they were competitive in the Picola league , I may be wrong but Shepp East at one stage were suggesting they had lost all bar one of their senior players .
Nothing against the KDL as it’s a great little comp however it’s proximity to Shepp no other major league surrounding it other than the GVL provides it with hurdles others don’t have .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back