Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you explain why ?
Well roar if u can’t go to a game as a spectator, supporter, sponsor etc to start with its hard, have spoke to a lot off players, coaches, Presidents etc and I’d say 98% off them have lost enthusiasm and conceded that footy is not going to happen.. it’s taken to long and dragged out in my opinion.. the hierarchy who calls the shots are to scared to say footy is done for the year, at least the HDFL have grown a set off balls and said we are done, and u will find a few more leagues will follow..

Well roar if u can’t go to a game as a spectator, supporter, sponsor etc to start with its hard, have spoke to a lot off players, coaches, Presidents etc and I’d say 98% off them have lost enthusiasm and conceded that footy is not going to happen.. it’s taken to long and dragged out in my opinion.. the hierarchy who calls the shots are to scared to say footy is done for the year, at least the HDFL have grown a set off balls and said we are done, and u will find a few more leagues will follow..
Have mentioned before Normo , I don’t believe anyone thinks football is possible without crowds .
As we have seen from the O&M and GVL many ‘ hierarchy’ are waiting the next announcement from state government at months end to become informed before Making further announcements .
Not sure they need to be labeled as not having balls , being s**t scared or the sort.
Most believe a start before mid July with crowds is acheiveable , especially with cricket being delayed , if state government comes out next week with the announcement of crowds up to 500 for early July , I think you’ll find many comps will have a season .
Agree the dragging out and lack of public indication from state government is wearing on people .
The current cost on clubs to have training is near zero , protocols and the coarse that went with it are common sense whilst training is likely to have significant benefit.

Last edited:
Point 1 - Hypothetical at best.
point 2. Medical officers , federal cabinet and state government have been emphatic that every effort for community sport to go ahead for the health of communities , do the HDFL know better ?
Whilst the protocols are common sense and I’d be surprised if anyone doesn’t follow similar when entering a shop or within their own workplace .
Point 3 - Players not training doesn’t mean they are going to be any lesser risk of gaining covid19 . It’s been suggested less than .1% of cases may have been caught outdoors .
No crowds , canteen , bar is all unknown when that point may be reached.

Purely based on hypotheticals which is all
anyone can do at this stage , hence why most are sitting tight .

How dare a league...in consultation with its clubs make a decision on what they think is best for them and their communities.

We all know where u stand but the constant bagging of those in positions to make actual decisions or those who’s views don’t match yours is getting really tiresome.

I spoke to a player from a Heathcote League club just now and while disappointed that footy won’t be played he is relieved that the decision has been made and he is committed to his club even if other leagues or clubs get going

How dare a league...in consultation with its clubs make a decision on what they think is best for them and their communities.

We all know where u stand but the constant bagging of those in positions to make actual decisions or those who’s views don’t match yours is getting really tiresome.

I spoke to a player from a Heathcote League club just now and while disappointed that footy won’t be played he is relieved that the decision has been made and he is committed to his club even if other leagues or clubs get going

I think that the football landscape will look vastly different in 2021. Feel some clubs could be looking at merging or changing leagues and leagues themselves undergoing considerable change. Can't see the next 6 months of football talk being anything less than exciting.

"Presidents etc have lost their enthusiasm" your words I agree with. I like many were excited and looking forward to the new season but as a volunteer if we play I think all of us especially the presidents main focus at the end of the day will be the treasurer's figures not the scoreboard.

gone too early for me. they will have egg on their face if the government announces crowds of up to 500 and other surrounding leagues get going. Don’t think there would have been any harm in waiting like other leagues at this point.
I remember way back in March when training was suspended, the date initially set to resume training at the earliest was the 31st of May. Everybody was very optimistic back then about a return to play knowing that it wouldn’t be until July at the earliest. Seems leagues, clubs, players & the general public are as roar suggested ‘worn down’ at the moment.

gone too early for me. they will have egg on their face if the government announces crowds of up to 500 and other surrounding leagues get going. Don’t think there would have been any harm in waiting like other leagues at this point.
I remember way back in March when training was suspended, the date initially set to resume training at the earliest was the 31st of May. Everybody was very optimistic back then about a return to play knowing that it wouldn’t be until July at the earliest. Seems leagues, clubs, players & the general public are as roar suggested ‘worn down’ at the moment.

they may have..but they have spoken to their clubs who wanted some certainty and this is the only way they could give them that.

I expect to see other leagues over this way do the same. There are meetings scheduled early next week

Interesting that you insinuate that I’m bagging a league for making a decision, yet you support a post suggesting a league is to scared and lacking ‘ some ‘ for not making a decision .
We all know where you stand also , but your stance and continuing attack might be growing really tiresome for some of the alternate view as well .

Last edited:
I think you will find a lot of leagues will pull the pin by next week, but others will play, there's no right or wrong, good luck to the leagues that play, I reckon between 5-10 across the state will which is still ok, I don't expect players to jump clubs either

didn’t bag the league at all , I stated what my thoughts were .
Interesting that you insinuate that I’m bagging a league for making , yet support a post suggesting a league is to scared and lacking ‘ some ‘ for not making a decision .
We all know where you stand also but your stance and continuing attack might be growing really tiresome for some of the alternate view as well .

I think you will find a lot of leagues will pull the pin by next week, but others will play, there's no right or wrong, good luck to the leagues that play, I reckon between 5-10 across the state will which is still ok, I don't expect players to jump clubs either
Why wouldn’t a player ‘jump’ for the 2020 season? Then return back to his original club?

Point 1 - Hypothetical at best.
point 2. Medical officers , federal cabinet and state government have been emphatic that every effort for community sport to go ahead for the health of communities , do the HDFL know better ?
Whilst the protocols are common sense and I’d be surprised if anyone doesn’t follow similar when entering a shop or within their own workplace .
Point 3 - Players not training doesn’t mean they are going to be any lesser risk of gaining covid19 . It’s been suggested less than .1% of cases may have been caught outdoors .
No crowds , canteen , bar is all unknown when that point may be reached.

Purely based on hypotheticals which is all
anyone can do at this stage , hence why most are sitting tight .

A lot will depend on what Andrews says at the end of the month but one thing that should be made clear looking ahead and that includes the AFL as well if we play.

A player catches the virus does this mean his team mates and perhaps the side his team played have to go into quarantine for 14 days and his club rooms closed down.If they do surely this will make the fixture a shambles.Personally I think if we play and life goes back to normal we have to make the call and treat this virus as a bad case of the flue but I have serious reservations in making that statement when we can see what is happening in some overseas countries.I think all this uncertainty is making it really difficult for our clubs and governments.PS Roar I love your positive attitude and respect your opinions even though we seem to disagree often.

I fully agree re clubs and leagues having right to play or not play , there is no right answer , bagging either for making a decision particularly after more info is made available , is uncalled for .
My understanding is that the HDFL has results back from a survey which indicated clubs wanted to start by a set date and the board have hypothetically predicted that won’t occur, which I personally think is impossible to do atm and makes the decision timing unusual.
My info is that there is as many HDFL club officials and players supporting the idea as there are bagging it .
The state government announcement later this month will most likely give a very good guide for all, with the most important question being answered ‘when will crowds over to 500 be able ‘ .

I don’t agree that players won’t jump leagues , it has already happened on the back of rumours of some leagues not playing , or some clubs giving that indication by not commencing training .

Last edited:
I fully agree re clubs and leagues having right to play or not play , there is no right answer , bagging either for making a decision particularly after more info is made available , is uncalled for .
My understanding is that the HDFL has results back from a survey which indicated clubs wanted to start by a set date and the board have hypothetically predicted that won’t occur, which I personally think is impossible to do atm and makes the decision timing unusual.
My info is that there is as many HDFL club officials and players supporting the idea as there are bagging it .
The state government announcement later this month will most likely give a very good guide for all, with the most important question being answered ‘when will crowds over to 500 be able ‘ .

I don’t agree that players won’t jump leagues , it has already happened on the back of rumours of some leagues not playing , or some clubs giving that indication by not commencing training .
Has Bendigo made a decision ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're right Trent. Some leagues will stay, some will opt out. What should happen is that we rename all footy ovals the Bunnings or Kmart rec reserve. That way we'll be allowed to have 500 or more in there already. As Sam Kekovich says "you know it makes sense"

If other Comps are playing their will be plenty go elsewhere for a Kick. Be a great chance to experience something different.

No call from Bendigo yet taking the more measured approach to wait for more information on restrictions being eased.

Any one know if some one within a club comes down with covid 19 are they covered by insurance.Interesting article in the Bendigo Advertisor today about the Heathcote League and one of the many reasons given why they cancelled their season.

Any one know if some one within a club comes down with covid 19 are they covered by insurance.Interesting article in the Bendigo Advertisor today about the Heathcote League and one of the many reasons given why they cancelled their season.
Do you need Insurance for it? I've never heard of Club's having Flu or Influenza Insurance.

Listening to Peter Cole re:HDFL decision in SEN earlier and geez he spoke well, highlighted everything my conversations with club executive members are discussing.

I get the angst, disappointment etc going round but we truly need to put ourselves in club executive shoes and legitimately imagine the stresses and strains they’re under (as volunteers)

Also, Mental Health don’t need a club to say we’re open to address itself and support our people ... there are leaders in every shape and form and you don’t need a label to offer support or interaction to your community, offer an activity a time slot and be there.

Grown adults can solve a heap of issues right now if the want to, be a leader, grab the reins your community regardless of there 4pts being on offer or not.

Worth a listen ...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back