Review Grade your team’s draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon, B+

Pretty good outcome for us knowing A.Davey jnr joins us at pick 45 and only giving up pick 49, which we were never gonna use. Which, also allowed us to pick Lewis Hayes who imo is better than Busslinger. He fills a need and will be pretty much a great partner for Reid for the next 10 plus years.
Munkara dropping to a category b selection is a huge coup, he’s one of the most exciting and talented players in this draft, so to have him is exciting.
Finally, getting Tsatas over Phillipou was really annoying but I’ve kind of accepted it and we’re still getting a really good player in our club, and should compliment Hobbs, Caldwell, Martin, Perkins in the future.

Essendon, B+

Pretty good outcome for us knowing A.Davey jnr joins us at pick 45 and only giving up pick 49, which we were never gonna use. Which, also allowed us to pick Lewis Hayes who imo is better than Busslinger. He fills a need and will be pretty much a great partner for Reid for the next 10 plus years.
Munkara dropping to a category b selection is a huge coup, he’s one of the most exciting and talented players in this draft, so to have him is exciting.
Finally, getting Tsatas over Phillipou was really annoying but I’ve kind of accepted it and we’re still getting a really good player in our club, and should compliment Hobbs, Caldwell, Martin, Perkins in the future.

I know nothing about anyone this year but wouldn't there have been a bid on Munkara?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would give us an A

Phillipou - I thought was a top 5 talent so to get him at 10 was outstanding
Van Es - Was a need selection in the second round hopefully develops into that key defender
Hotton - excellent value
Keeper - great value

Only thing that’s stops it being an A+ is it’s very boom or bust draft no what I would call a high floor player in our draft this year

I know nothing about anyone this year but wouldn't there have been a bid on Munkara?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think there just wasn’t enough footage and exposed form against good opposition to really place a bid, it’s pretty tight for list spots on every clubs squad. He was a first round pick lock at that Collingwood vfl game, but missed the championship games and hasn’t really featured much. He’s still a great prospect and a few draft experts have him in their top 10, but I can see the hesitancy to not take him as it’s all potential and mystery.

For Collingwood, C+

Happy with Ed Allan who’d said would be a Pie for 10 years. Disappointed we missed out on the best available ruckman. Other two picks will need to take awhile
I reckon your other 2 picks will slot right in. Sounds like they have a role for Richards and Ryan can be half back depth or can play wing and dislodge someone like Bianco who played a lot.

Allan is a centre square mid who didn't get to display that anywhere but WAFL colts, and he's got to fill out without hurting his athleticism or back. Sounds to me like a guy you nurse through the VFL midfield for a year before he breaks in to the side.

His athleticism gets all the press but he's actually a natural on baller who doesn't use his speed all that often. His best attribute is his decision making in traffic.

Essendon D-. Stoked we got Munkara and the Davey's but failed to address needs and didn't go close to best available via my rankings. Brayden George will go down as Parker 2.0. The player we desperately needed making it to us only for us to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Very happy from a Collingwood standpoint, particularly given we accrued a future second on the night.

Ed Allan - happy to pick up a midfielder with so much upside. It's hard not to get geared up about a lightning quick mid who uses the ball well and has great hands. Hasn't gotten a lot of exposure in the guts yet but I'm sure he'll get that opportunity in the VFL, as our midfield looks pretty set next year so we can be patient with Allen and make a player of him in the seconds.

Jakob Ryan - when you consider Howe and Pendlebury to be retired by 2025 and Daicos to be a full time mid, there's a gaping hole in Collingwood's defence for run and carry defenders, and watching the Pies in '22 you can see how crucial bold half backs who move the ball well and quickly are to our success. I'm certain Ryan will be earmarked to play the role Nick Daicos has played in his first season at half back, as Daics eventually moves further afield. Ryan is a clever defender, and knows when to look for a safe option, and when to use the ball ambitiously. I'm looking forward to his development

Joe Richards - going to draw critics for obvious reasons coming from the O&M league, however Richards proved to be too good for that level this year, and I'm sure he'd have been a strong draft candidate had he been plying his trade in the VFL. From the footage I've seen of him, he oozes footy IQ up forward by always seeming to know where the football will be ahead of time and frequently knowing where the sticks are. He's going to pressure McCreery and Hoskin-Elliott for their spots in the team which can only be of help to us by improving competition for spots. At Pick 48 in what was considered a shallow draft, I'm happy we've gone for Richards who I believe has a lot of upside.

We did not select a tall however I do not want the club to select talls just because they are tall. There weren't many key position players in this draft that tickled my fancy, so I'm glad to have ended up with the above three. We still have an available list spot should we choose to pick up somebody in the SSP. I liked Barnett but not more than Allen, and he was gone by our second pick. I also liked Van Es but like the club, I prefer the potential of Ryan.

A B for Collingwood.

Why can't Hobbs be Parker 2.0?

Parker 2.0 as in a desperate need missed not exactly the same as Parker. Hobbs will be a great player, but you dont stop at a few midst capable in the contest. Most great sides reserve 6-7 list spots for that type of player. We have maybe 3 if Caldwell can stay on the park and Voss becomes a mid. None of them have the upside of George.

George could end up being a pure forward, even still we need midsized contested marking forwards that complement Wright and Jones.

It's a missed opportunity. Instead we draft the 11th defender in the first three rounds in 8 years, because that's worked so well for us...

Freo D plus

I'm not an expert but I just don't feel Freo dud that great. Having said that Freo had a weak draft hand to start with.

Parker 2.0 as in a desperate need missed not exactly the same as Parker. Hobbs will be a great player, but you dont stop at a few midst capable in the contest. Most great sides reserve 6-7 list spots for that type of player. We have maybe 3 if Caldwell can stay on the park and Voss becomes a mid. None of them have the upside of George.

George could end up being a pure forward, even still we need midsized contested marking forwards that complement Wright and Jones.

It's a missed opportunity. Instead we draft the 11th defender in the first three rounds in 8 years, because that's worked so well for us...
These kinds of snap judgements are the epitome of numbing ignorance.

Completely ignoring that we've drafted Munkara as a medium forward who probably has more potential than almost anyone in the draft. Why did we need George as well.

We've drafted the second highest ranked KPD for a pick in the 20's FFS, for a list in need of tall KPD depth. To go along with an elite mid and the Davey twins.

It's an excellent draft for Essendon, filling multiple list needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely ignoring that we've drafted Munkara as a medium forward who probably has more potential than almost anyone in the draft. Why did we need George as well.

We've drafted the second highest ranked KPD for a pick in the 20's FFS, for a list in need of tall KPD depth. To go along with an elite mid and the Davey twins.

We have absolutely zero need for KPD. BZT, Cox, Reid, Stewart, McBride along with Laverde and Ridley as pseudo tall depth is more than Geelong had to win the flag. Hayes was the third highest with the CHB and FB of the All Australian team going to Busslinger and Weddle respectively, who both went higher than him.

It's not a snap judgement but a long established observation of how successful teams allocate their draft resources and build their lists. We've spent half (11/22) our picks inside the first three rounds on defenders or players we tried to develop into defenders since 2015. I've had a look through a lot of the lists and I think Richmond is the closest with 8. We are not using our picks where it influences the most.

Also I mentioned in the opening post that I was very happy with Munkara. But he is a long shot to make it. There is a reason no one bid on the best potential in the draft class. Our biggest needs going into the draft were midfield and forward contested ball winners with defensive accountability. We didn't really address contested football at all.

Last edited:
I don't even know the players we drafted

I heard of the first one, but with Papley, Hayward, Heeney and possibly Wicks all in the forward line I didn't really think we were in the market for a small forward.

I am not having a go at any of the 3 we drafted as they could be good players (though I feel like we reached massively for them) but I am having a go at the fact we didn't even attempt to address any of the Swans list needs.

Overall a C- I think.

Munkara… more potential than almost anyone in the draft? Including all of the top 30 picks?? Wow… ok

I heard of the first one, but with Papley, Hayward, Heeney and possibly Wicks all in the forward line I didn't really think we were in the market for a small forward.

I am not having a go at any of the 3 we drafted as they could be good players (though I feel like we reached massively for them) but I am having a go at the fact we didn't even attempt to address any of the Swans list needs.

Overall a C- I think.
We have an abundance of fast skill full players. Not sure why we had to add two more. We still have Campbell and warner Jr in the two's. Sheldrick and Robert also developing.

Would have been a perfect opportunity to grab a tall and park him in the two's for a year or 2 and let him develop

Im going with a B- but reserving until the PSD.
Tsatas - top 5 talent very much worthy of his pick. Not our biggest need but as the coach is new and himself pointed to needs changing in 12m time, suspect he has plans afoot, and Tsatas fits them

Hayes - more young kpd options. Ideally we settle a spine soon. Only the hawks have more young defenders than us. I liked george at the pick or one of szybkowski or hustwaite. But we may get Szybkowski or even d'aolia in the psd

Davey's where they fell too and munkara as a cat b rookie is all we could have wished for there.

Add Szybkowski or D'aolia and ill bump that up to a B.

We have an abundance of fast skill full players. Not sure why we had to add two more. We still have Campbell and warner Jr in the two's. Sheldrick and Robert also developing.

Would have been a perfect opportunity to grab a tall and park him in the two's for a year or 2 and let him develop

Yes, definitely not having a go at the players themselves, they could be great, but it would be like Carlton drafting 3 key forwards. It just wouldn't make sense based their current list build.

C+

Thought we made the right choices at the start, but almost everyone else would've picked Sheezel and Wardlaw in our position.

Like the pick up of George, whilst we already did invest in a forward of his size in sheezel our forward line is hot garbage so I'm fine with heavy investment into the area.

Harvey was a free hit I'll take.

Just wished we took a KPP and ideally a KPF, hopefully we pick up one in the rookie draft.

Essendon D-. Stoked we got Munkara and the Davey's but failed to address needs and didn't go close to best available via my rankings. Brayden George will go down as Parker 2.0. The player we desperately needed making it to us only for us to shoot ourselves in the foot.
Not sure Parker 2.0 and Sheil can play in same midfield😛

C+

Thought we made the right choices at the start, but almost everyone else would've picked Sheezel and Wardlaw in our position.

Like the pick up of George, whilst we already did invest in a forward of his size in sheezel our forward line is hot garbage so I'm fine with heavy investment into the area.

Harvey was a free hit I'll take.

Just wished we took a KPP and ideally a KPF, hopefully we pick up one in the rookie draft.
C+ is harsh

B+ for Brisbane.

Did what we had to do coming in with a generous hand. Made trades with North and Hawthorn which meant we could match the earlier than expected bid for Fletcher without going into deficit. Picked up a future third later in the draft with a pick we weren't going to use.

Only thing that would've been nice is if we'd somehow managed to find a way to draft a KPP player, as developing KPP has become a bit of a hole in our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back