Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you think the probability is of Buckley having told the club that this is his last season?
That could happen, though after free agency and draft period we just had l doubt it.
No doubt that through out this season there will be discussion about him by the club, but decision wise no.

The good news is Wrighty will know what to look for in a coach and relationships, (with players and staff).
If there's something amiss, he will either assist in the rectification or suggest Bucks isn't the right man.

The only reason we know the salary cap was screwed is because the club told us. They could have back ended Treloar’s contract another year, kept everyone of note on the books, and Walsh could have retired and we’d be oblivious ... at least for a few years and by then we’ll be blaming somebody else.

Besides, imagine if the club came out with “Look, we’ve been really responsible with the salary cap the last few years ... we could have loaded ourselves up with back ended contracts but we didn’t think hocking our future was the responsible thing to do” ... you’d have the pitchfork brigade screaming that we would have won 2 Premierships (instead of Richmond) if we hadn’t been stupidly penny pinching while we were in a Premiership window.

Welcome to Collingwood Writey ... where you’ll be damned for anything you do that hasn’t demonstrably delivered a Premiership / Premierships / Dynasties. No pressure.
Do you really think Walsh just decided to retire, or that Ed suddenly realised the time was right to go? This is a result of gross mismanagement of our club salaries. Let’s hope it never happens again. Getting people of Wright’s caliber is a good start.

Neither. My post was more a hypothetical around the suggestion that Wright allegedly hates Bucks. I have no clue if it's true or not, it's not something I ever heard back in the day, I heard it was Paul Williams who didn't like Bucks, not Wright. But if it WAS true that Wright hates Bucks and yet he's still accepted the job despite that, I was just saying that it could be because he's been informed Bucks is gone at year's end that's all.

As to your last sentence, I'd wager they often do. Whether it's in recruiting, coaching calls et al. Sometimes calls get made very early.
Only problem shep, you did not state it was hypothetical, but actually a statement of fact.
As for the last sentence, yes calls get made early, but usually in season for the head coach. Not twelve months out.
Sorry but Eddie is still president, that call will not have happened.
As for clarko don’t hold your breath too long. Mitchell maybe.

The only reason we know the salary cap was screwed is because the club told us. They could have back ended Treloar’s contract another year, kept everyone of note on the books, and Walsh could have retired and we’d be oblivious ... at least for a few years and by then we’ll be blaming somebody else.

Besides, imagine if the club came out with “Look, we’ve been really responsible with the salary cap the last few years ... we could have loaded ourselves up with back ended contracts but we didn’t think hocking our future was the responsible thing to do” ... you’d have the pitchfork brigade screaming that we would have won 2 Premierships (instead of Richmond) if we hadn’t been stupidly penny pinching while we were in a Premiership window.

Welcome to Collingwood Writey ... where you’ll be damned for anything you do that hasn’t demonstrably delivered a Premiership / Premierships / Dynasties. No pressure.

Everybody knew the cap was stuffed well before the Club finally fessed up.

Everybody knew the cap was stuffed well before the Club finally fessed up.

Sure ...

... just as everybody “knows” that Buckley won’t be offered a contract extension and that everybody “knows” Ed won’t see out his final year.

There’s knowing and there’s knowing.

Sure ...

... just as everybody “knows” that Buckley won’t be offered a contract extension and that everybody “knows” Ed won’t see out his final year.

In the Biblical sense?

Sure ...

It was patently obvious to all and sundry during the trade week fire sale that the club had hit serious salary cap problems. ....despite Neds pathetic attempt at denial at his press conference after the end of the debacle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread here, but are you saying that you just made up a scenario just so you could get a few bites?

No....the discussion was centered around Wright hating Buckley. Some were saying why would he take the job is that were true? So I suggested that what if (I started the sentence with "or", which I thought would have made it obvious it was a hypothetical) Wright took the job despite his distaste for Buckley (assuming that was even the case) because maybe he was told Bucks was gone at the end of 2021.

I'm not saying that is the case. I hadn't even heard about the Wright sledging Buckley story before this thread. As I had said previously, it was Paul Williams who I had heard hated Bucks, not Wright.

I was just positing a scenario where IF Wright did in fact hate Buckley, it's possible he took the job if he was told Bucks is gone at year's end.

Only problem shep, you did not state it was hypothetical, but actually a statement of fact.

No it wasn't.

I literally started my initial post with "or", which I would have assumed suggested an "option" under the scenario others here were suggesting.

It was patently obvious to all and sundry during the trade week fire sale that the club had hit serious salary cap problems. ....despite Neds pathetic attempt at denial at his press conference after the end of the debacle.

Sure, but would it have been so patently obvious if the club had kicked the can further down the road, by back ending Treloar another year, and then treat the issue as next year’s problem?

Sure, but would it have been so patently obvious if the club had kicked the can further down the road, by back ending Treloar another year, and then treat the issue as next year’s problem?

That’s exactly what they had been doing for the past few years. Which is fine.... it can be a legit management strategy.

It got to the point this year that they couldn’t or wouldn’t do that any more, with the Treloar backloading and the Beams payout hitting the club hard at a time when we need the cash to retain stars like DeGoey and Moore. So the overpaid players had to go.

What do you think the probability is of Buckley having told the club that this is his last season?

Pretty low. It's the type of pressure cooker environment where if you're thinking about going then you've already started to check out. One thing to do it if there's a nominated replacement being groomed within the coaching ranks, another entirely if there isn't.

That’s exactly what they had been doing for the past few years. Which is fine.... it can be a legit management strategy.

It got to the point this year that they couldn’t or wouldn’t do that any more, with the Treloar backloading and the Beams payout hitting the club hard at a time when we need the cash to retain stars like DeGoey and Moore. So the overpaid players had to go.

And I think that change was driven by a shift from the "keep the list together" philosophy to the "refresh the list" philosophy across the season. I also think that change wasn't driven by salary cap issues but rather the season we had, the final against Geelong the full stop on that.

No it wasn't.

I literally started my initial post with "or", which I would have assumed suggested an "option" under the scenario others here were positing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back