Open letter to Mr Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear Mr Wright

I echo the sentiments of my fellow Collingwood tragics.

I would go further however.

You are a sexy man, a deeply deeply sexy man. but if you pull this off, and bring in some good talent, your sexiness will reach a point I cannot ignore and will be forced to act upon my feelings.

I would like nothing more than to complete a giant belly button lint sculpture of you, and take it to a location of your choosing. The process of sculpting as well as "harvest" could be as sensual and profound as that scene in Ghost, minus the annoying unchained Melody. Will you be Demi to my Patrick?

I would trot a long way for you, to fall at your door.

How far?

This far.

2022-08-16.png

Will you accept my entreaties?

Horse

P.S. based on the above map, you should be safe in perth, cooktown, or New Zealand.

if you suddenly take a job at Fremantle I'll know why and wont judge.

Getting concerned St Kilda clearing cap space to make an offer JDG can’t refuse.
Brad Hill rumoured to be on the move again and Dan Hannebery retirement. There’s a $1.5M+ saving.
Act now Pies!!

That is just shithouse people management.

"Take a paycut (from a contract we willingly gave you) or find somewhere else)"
It's called professional sport.
Times change. Club's have to do what's best for their list and chances of winning the big dance. It's not like the Player doesnt have plenty of choices here either.

It's called professional sport.
Times change. Club's have to do what's best for their list and chances of winning the big dance. It's not like the Player doesnt have plenty of choices here either.
Silly me, I was under the understanding that contracts had value in the professional world.

Letting go of Grundy isn't just about this year's cap/trade period

Letting go of Grundy is about the next 5 years and beyond

It's about establishing a culture players want to be a part of and are more than willing to take unders to be a part of to be part of premierships. Rather than the previous culture where players had to be overpaid to be part of.

Keeping Grundy on the list flies completely in the face of that and would likely be a thorn in the club's side both financially and culturally for the next 5 years (or more culturally)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy needs to do the right thing and take a pay cut

What do you mean the right thing? Collingwood offered him that contract and he is within his rights to stand his grounds.

No offense but your speaking from the cheap seats. If your boss asked you to take a pay cut when you've got a agreement in place would you oblige?

It's about establishing a culture players want to be a part of and are more than willing to take unders to be a part of to be part of premierships. Rather than the previous culture where players had to be overpaid to be part of.

Keeping Grundy on the list flies completely in the face of that and would likely be a thorn in the club's side both financially and culturally for the next 5 years (or more culturally)
How does Grundy fly in the face of culture? How the f is somebody on BigFooty in the position to make such a claim, unless they're actually inside the 4 walls?

This reeks of keyboard psychology.

That is just shithouse people management.

"Take a paycut (from a contract we willingly gave you) or find somewhere else)"
We as in Collingwood but not GW.

I have always maintained that GW is within his rights to challenge the Grundy contract and any other contract signed before his arrival.

Instead of looking at it as a pay cut, I would be looking at it more a sense of adjusting it to what the market is willing to pay Grundy.

I hope he is also reviewing the Adams contract.

He is rightfully putting the club first.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

How does Grundy fly in the face of culture? How the f is somebody on BigFooty in the position to make such a claim, unless they're actually inside the 4 walls?

This reeks of keyboard psychology.

Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond are all clubs that kept their lists - not only together, but improved on them during periods of success.

Luke Hodge was on radio just last week saying Clarko was up front with players saying they'd take unders if they want to keep the team together for sustained success.

Our coach has spent time at 3 of those clubs and we already see the environment he's creating as well as the moves Graham Wright has been making. It should be no coincidence the rumours of Grundy being shopped around are happening the way they are.

Call it keyboard psychology all you like, I just call it as I see it based on things like history. Simply fact is, Grundy's contract is a noose around our neck for the next 5 years and will prevent us from both keeping this list together as well as improving on it. It's not that difficult to see where this is heading and why.

I may be making an assumption about the culture, but it seems like a pretty logical one. Again, look at the clubs I referred to at the start. All clubs that had players taking unders to be part of a sustained successful club. The only major exception (that we know of) being Dustin Martin, who - lo and behold, we see rumours of him leaving too. They lost Higgins, Butler, Coleman-Jones, Chol all around the time and post Martin's contract signing. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

But if we're trying to create an environment and culture where people want to genuinely be at Collingwood and accept unders to be at Colligwood, how does Grundy's million dollar contract not fly in the face of that? How would you feel being a post-McRae player being encouraged/asked to take significantly less than you'd get at a rival club to help keep a successful team together all the while Brody is there on almost a mill a year for the next 5 (while also having significantly reduced performance output)?

Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond are all clubs that kept their lists - not only together, but improved on them during periods of success.

Luke Hodge was on radio just last week saying Clarko was up front with players saying they'd take unders if they want to keep the team together for sustained success.

Our coach has spent time at 3 of those clubs and we already see the environment he's creating as well as the moves Graham Wright has been making. It should be no coincidence the rumours of Grundy being shopped around are happening the way they are.

Call it keyboard psychology all you like, I just call it as I see it based on things like history. Simply fact is, Grundy's contract is a noose around our neck for the next 5 years and will prevent us from both keeping this list together as well as improving on it. It's not that difficult to see where this is heading and why.

I may be making an assumption about the culture, but it seems like a pretty logical one. Again, look at the clubs I referred to at the start. All clubs that had players taking unders to be part of a sustained successful club. The only major exception (that we know of) being Dustin Martin, who - lo and behold, we see rumours of him leaving too. They lost Higgins, Butler, Coleman-Jones, Chol all around the time and post Martin's contract signing. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

But if we're trying to create an environment and culture where people want to genuinely be at Collingwood and accept unders to be at Colligwood, how does Grundy's million dollar contract not fly in the face of that? How would you feel being a post-McRae player being encouraged/asked to take significantly less than you'd get at a rival club to help keep a successful team together all the while Brody is there on almost a mill a year for the next 5 (while also having significantly reduced performance output)?
Maybe he has been asked the question by the club with the option to find another club he may be willing to join if he refuses?
I suppose it doesn't hurt and to be honest a contract work both ways. You are paid to deliver according to a certain expectation. While Grundy doesn't need to do anything, who knows, he may agree to take a cut even up to $150k which after tax isn't all that much and probably releases a bit of pressure and expectation on you.

Maybe he has been asked the question by the club with the option to find another club he may be willing to join if he refuses?
I suppose it doesn't hurt and to be honest a contract work both ways. You are paid to deliver according to a certain expectation. While Grundy doesn't need to do anything, who knows, he may agree to take a cut even up to $150k which after tax isn't all that much and probably releases a bit of pressure and expectation on you.

I hope he is willing to take a cut.

It's not like he'd be homeless if he was on only 650-700K per year. Maybe they could re-jig his existing contract to back end it for when the next CBA comes in and after Pendles/Sidey/Howe have retired and there's even more room?

Yep this! Unfortunately our previous administration really F up and should of been steadfast on a 4 year maximum deal, take it or leave it approach. GW just executing his long term plan for the Pies.

Last edited:
Yep this! Unfortunately our previous administration really F up and should of been steadfast on a 4 year maximum deal, take it or leave it approach. GW just executing his long term plan the Pies.

I'm fine with big money short term contracts, or long term less money contracts.

Big money and long term contracts are poisonous to clubs long term. Of the 4 successful clubs of the last 20 years, Richmond is the one to bleed the most players. No coincidence they signed Martin to a huge deal and got Lynch in on a big one too.

Silly me, I was under the understanding that contracts had value in the professional world.
So, from from your lifetimes understanding of AFL and professional sport ... You thought player-club contracts were sacrosanct and set in stone??? You didn't realise that both clubs and players mutually part ways and break contracts all the time and that doing so is not considered a poor reflection on either?
People move on and people get moved on as circumstances change.

I don't really want to get into this but I can't help myself!
Those four clubs you quote as having "kept their lists" all have extenuating circumstances that allowed them to do so....
Geelong (I know really well) make out like cleanskins in all things list based but they have had and continue to have their own version of COLA when it comes to player acquistion and retention. We call it COSTA down here and for many years (decades) their "family" has assisted in "making life easier" for players being brought into Geelong. From rental accomodation, real estate, jobs, access to the best private schools, introductions and networking opportunities...Cat players have a Golden Ticket down here and that alone is worth many more hundreds of thousands than their playing salaries are worth.

Carlton used to flaunt the Pratt's and of course Juddy got his VISY money but in terms of what Frank Costa's family has done for the CATS it pales into insignificance. So playing for Geelong can be made to look very attractive to prospective players (particularly those who don't like the Melbourne media chasing them all over town)

The Hawks began their "paycuts" story in 2003 when Shane Crawford and a couple of others did it to help save the club going under. They were a crap side back then so it wasn't to keep the "band together!" Later on, they chose to take cuts because they had so many great players and didn't want to lose any (but remember they traded Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin to Freo to get pick 1 in the superdraft and get Luke Hodge...so they didn't mind being ruthless with SOME of their players!). Buddy going to Sydney should have meant they had no $$$ worries yet Gunston said in 2016 that he'd take a cut .... so SOME of the others must have been on big $$$....AND then they offered up Jordan Lewis and Sam Mitchell rather than letting them finish their careers at Hawthorn....yeah...a "Happy Team"....not.

So there's two of the "White knight teams" that sacrifice so much....well they've sold everybody the idea that they have!!

Which brings us to the Tige's....lol.

Their old motto of "Eat em Alive" is well maintained. They've taken pay cuts have they? I spose Dusty has? Tom Lynch??? They've sent off fringe players on a yearly basis (usually to the Sun's as part of their Tom Lynch dept) and they've kept the players they needed to contend with.
Jack may have taken a trim, Trent as well...but its more likely their contracts just decreased as their inputs declined. Nevertheless, Dusty has had a worse season than Brody Grundy (and is paid more) but then...premierships hide the cracks, always have, always will.
Their administration might claim the high moral ground on player payments but the Tige's are as bloodthirsty as they ever have been, their media mafia just looks the other way.

And then there's the Lions. Strange one that. They've taken paycuts? What for COVID? They're an interstate "must have success or else" member of the AFL. Sure they don't get the assistance that the Swans get (yeah still get) but Brissy can afford Daniher when they're already a finals team (and keep Lachie Neale from leaving??? on paycuts??? cmon.

All teams have players they pay more. All teams have players on their radar that they assume will make them better. There's not an AFL club that sets up its culture by saying "Come to us, we pay less" because in reality...they don't.

Mr Wright,
Please keep Mr Grundy & Mr DeGoey at Collingwood.
Thank you
Little Jonny
Geez,
Worried this might be a marriage proposal for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back