News Grand Final at the Gabba - Formerly: Where will this years grand final end up if victoria cant have crowds?

Remove this Banner Ad

out of curiosity, who cancelled the F1 race, was it the Victorian Government or the Formula One Group?

Essentially the F1.

The drivers and teams decided they weren't driving the night before. Vettell and Hamilton had already flown out the morning of everything going down.

McLaren had pulled out of the race the day before.

There were people lined up at the gate for a few hours before the Vic Government finally told them it was off.

Wrong.

The AFL GF has to be played in Melbourne every single year to receive the $225m.

If they breach the contract after the Etihad stadium upgrades, the AFL has to return the resultant money owed at 2% interest.

The AFL is going to be under pressure not to breach the contract this year anyway with Victorian clubs entering hubs for an extended period of time and not being able to meet the 43 games contract at the MCG.
Do you really think the Victorian Government is going to screw the AFL over for a few million dollars because they were forced to play the GF elsewhere because of the failures of the Victorian Government?

Essentially the F1.

The drivers and teams decided they weren't driving the night before. Vettell and Hamilton had already flown out the morning of everything going down.

McLaren had pulled out of the race the day before.

There were people lined up at the gate for a few hours before the Vic Government finally told them it was off.
So I assume the Victorian Government demanded compensation from the Formula One Group?

So I assume the Victorian Government demanded compensation from the Formula One Group?

You assume they haven't?

It was stated at the time they would attempt to have a make up race.

if by some strange occurance it could be in Perth then the government will pay 20-30 million to do it.
They will get that back easily in Hospitality, accommodation, Sponsors, etc.

Lets face it, not going to be a cheap event for anyone travelling to it. Hotels will be 500 per night minimum, Flights will be tripled as they are for all big events, local Pubs, restaurants etc will charge like wounded bulls because they can.
Even with a free ticket to the game then you aint getting out of the weekend under 2-3k based on a 2-3 day stay.
Great for the state.

But I agree with others that it won't be in Perth.

If only they could get enough people there to make those numbers work.

Hotels, Restaurants, etc. only make money off tourists, not locals (yes, locals do go to restaurants, but if they're charging like wounded bulls, they'll put their visit off until next week).

Best case, you could have about 15K fly in (about what can fly out in other years), although it'd be less, because there aren't as many secondary routes available and WA is also likely to want to quarantine a lot of those arriving, further cutting numbers.

Yes, i don't think the your premier Nero is that stupid

I agree.

But the AFL certainly isn't the F1 Corporation is it?

I vote for whichever stadium can get the biggest crowd.
ANZ holds 82,500. Plus NSW might actually let Victorians in. Easily the best alternative to MCG.
I agree, it will be ANZ if it can operate at capacity, however if it does have to be moved from the MCG because there is still too many community infections in Victoria, chances are it would also have spread to NSW also by then unless they do close the border.

If we are talking about WA paying to hold the GF, what does Victoria pay every year? Surely match that? everything else is just nonsense.

Hotels, Restaurants, etc. only make money off tourists, not locals (yes, locals do go to restaurants, but if they're charging like wounded bulls, they'll put their visit off until next week).

Best case, you could have about 15K fly in (about what can fly out in other years), although it'd be less, because there aren't as many secondary routes available and WA is also likely to want to quarantine a lot of those arriving, further cutting numbers.
We are not bidding to steal the GF from Victoria, this is an exceptional circumstance.
WA will not profit from the AFL playing the GF here. If it is moved from the MCG then WA's border will still be closed, there will be no tourists flooding in to spend their readies.
We are offering the AFL a solution, a clean stadium to play their GF and make money from ticket sales etc..
This talk of WA compensating Victoria or buying the GF is nonsense.
If we have to buy the GF we keep all the ticket sales / catering profits etc...

The machines and equipment required to bring the sides out at ANZ have been removed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NSW would be the best option for mine. Biggest stadium, biggest crowd.
Plus the AFL has pumped hundreds of millions of dollars into that state promoting grassroots footy and supporting the Giants. This would be a great opportunity to continue to grow the game in that state.

LOL...We're told by victorians ad nauseam that Optus is way to small, needs AT LEAST another 20 thousand to even get an imaginary look in, yet now a smaller capacities a better option...GOLD....never change victoria!

We're constantly told by West Aussies that stadium capacity doesn't matter yet now you're trying to argue Perth should hold the GF because they can fit in an extra 5k people?

We're constantly told by West Aussies that stadium capacity doesn't matter yet now you're trying to argue Perth should hold the GF because they can fit in an extra 5k people?
No, it's not the extra 5k, just the fact it is the best stadium in the country.
Additionally it gives the people for whom it is most difficult to attend the GF for the next 40 years a chance to see a GF live.

Yeah nah...where its held is irrelevant to me, havent lived in Australia for over 25 years, just funny listening to your type saying smaller than optus stadiums would be better option or that state governments will have to pay huge amounts for it, theres even 1 idiot going on about tourists flying in, just dumb people saying dumb things.

Interesting conundrum
The old "biggest stadium" argument goes out the door if WA isn't seen to be the next option.
Esp if they go home team adv for a team outside Vic making it (i.e Say its Port and the game is at AO)

That said, MCG has a contract in place, so any precedence is overridden at that point until 2057 or whenever it was

Its ok as it is, clearly not?

Even if you didn't have to quarantine a large portion of both the MCC members and AFL members will skip the year simply because of what the 2-3 day outlay will be to go to a game of footy. 70% won't take up their right to the GF.
I really don't know but again assuming no quarantine then I would think half ground capacity for this one of event would be tourists. 30K??

NSW would be the best option for mine. Biggest stadium, biggest crowd.
Plus the AFL has pumped hundreds of millions of dollars into that state promoting grassroots footy and supporting the Giants. This would be a great opportunity to continue to grow the game in that state.

Nationally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back